Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggestion: an away thread

Do you think an 'away thread' would work?

• Yes, sounds good, Do it.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Yes, but...<please state the but>

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, stupid idea <please state why>

Votes: 73 70.9%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is something I've been thinking about for a while to try and find a middle ground between what we currently have (anyone can post anywhere, within reason) and the 'away end' that a handful of people request periodically, and some other sites have.

I don't want an away end. I don't like the idea that people who take the trouble of registering with NSC (and most of them are decent) are shunted to a quiet corner of the site as soon as their colours are revealed. Why should they not be able to chip in with the large number of discussions here that have absolutely nothing to do with football at all?

So, my suggestion is an 'away thread', or anti-Albion banter thread - call it what you will. This will be a thread where opposing fans can have a pop at the Albion, and those who have an interest in engaging can have a go back. If you have no interest in such discussions, just never open the thread. Just don't do it. There will be nothing for you there.

Opposing fans who use other threads to take the piss, will:

1. Have those post(s) moved into the 'away thread'.
2. Be excluded from the thread they posted in.
3. Be warned. Multiple warnings will lead to bans, first temporary and then permanently from NSC.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There used to be a 'rule' that Palace could on post in Palace related threads, but it got very lax. I managed to upset one of our visitors by pointing this out, and calling him a troll. Nobody seems to bother now.
It seems like a good idea, but will it be moderated, or adhered to?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Anything to stop dick heads chiming in on threads that don't concern them.

Think it will be one cluster**** of a thread though that will always be active daily, which I guess isn't a bad thing.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I don't want an away end. I don't like the idea that people who take the trouble of registering with NSC (and most of them are decent) are shunted to a quiet corner of the site as soon as their colours are revealed. Why should they not be able to chip in with the large number of discussions here that have absolutely nothing to do with football at all? (Copied and pasted as per Bozza's post).

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Just try an away end for a couple of weeks and if it doesn't work sack it off.

Alternatively, go through this debacle every 2nd half of season for another 15 years. Jesus.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I voted bad idea. I think such a thread would need careful moderation but it's very existence would embolden some of the less socially able fans of other clubs (but particularly Palace) to be offensive and abusive; I think you'd end up with it going two ways, either an unmoderated free-for-all that is just full of abuse both ways or a thread that is the opposite of what the idea suggests, something so heavily moderated that it serves no purpose.
Maybe somewhat more robust moderating of the "away" fans when they get a bit lippy is a better way forward (I know, it's always easy to find work for other people to do - maybe you should give the mods a pay rise)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Of all the seasons, this isn't the one to segregate Palace fans.

The only suggestion I'd bring to the table would be to put all their posts in the gold thread for comedy value

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Leave it as it is, it's always worked fine. Most don't take many of these wind-up-merchant opposition fans too seriously anyway.

Far more trouble in the Brexit thread tbh....everybody in there takes it way too serious :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Of all the seasons, this isn't the one to segregate Palace fans.

The only suggestion I'd bring to the table would be to put all their posts in the gold thread for comedy value

Could always have a troll end thread, complete with a little bridge for all those croydonites :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, no and thrice no. I agree with Bozza. No ghetto. Away fans are tolerated on here if they are contrite and/or amusing or if they are figures of fun. That's the way it should be. NSC is not care in the community, or 'I am bending over, now kick me'. Away end, my arse.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I see no problem in away fans chipping in area of the board provided they are not trolling. It's good to engage with outside opinion.

Some Palace fans are annoying, then again you only have to look at some of the utter embarrassments we have ourselves on BBS. One or two, Like [MENTION=21414]Del Fenner[/MENTION] are quite good contributors and should be left be.

So for me it's a welcome to all, and hopefully a speedy ban to idiots. The board isn't exactly going to be over run. It never has.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Voted no. Although I wouldn't sat it was a stupid idea (but there's only so many options you can have in a poll!)

There are threads on here which aren't club specific - who cares what club people support on the Brexit, Trump, or 'what are you listening to now' type threads. Maybe just, whenever someone becomes particularly abusive or aggressive about BHA, you can ban them (you probably can and do already) or you could set up another section in The Main Stuff. Whenever anybody from another club gets offensive, all their post could automatically be re-routed into that - then if any keyboard warriors were up for a virtual punch-up, they could pile in if they wanted.
Nothing to keep checking out on the Big Board for those who couldn't give a toss for childish repartee - or even less for mindless name-calling..

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Keep them within the NSC family rather than pushing them out to the corner flag. If they have something worthwhile to say lets welcome it, rather than ignoring.

Always with the proviso of banishment if they over step too often

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If it 'aint broke.

We have healthy threads on NSC where rival posters get to have their say, within reason.
Why not just start a 'Free for all Thread' (sticky?) on TBB and keep it relatively clean.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
On the basis that if it's not broken don't fix it I'm voting no.

Just don't think it's a big enough problem generally to worry about making a change?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I like the status quo, like when most clubs come to the Amex, away fans are welcome in the North Stand after if they are civil.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'm instinctively for free speech. It's great that NSC has always been open to the perspective of people who aren't necessarily Albion supporters - after all, only a minority of the threads are actually about football!! That's what makes NSC refreshingly different from those tedious, lookalike boards of too many other clubs.

So, if people have got something interesting to contribute, let'em in! Then NSC will continue to provide its own mirror to the liberal, inclusive character of the Albion's home city.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Some of the most entertaining threads are those started by trolls. I enjoy reading them, let them be.

And when it's not club related, who cares what football team someone supports?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here