Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shopping at The Goldstone?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I don't live in. Right on so it's easy for me. I have never gone near there since the ground was there. I want to remember it as it was.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I actually find myself fondly looking at the hove park tavern when stuck at the lights, remembering the atmosphere before those crucial games in the last few years.

Was my local for many years, both football wise and not. Remember some great sing songs and a few rumbles too, but was oh so convenient having a packed footy boozer so close to home with your Mrs behind the bar!

Have definitely moved on now as The Amex is part of our return ticket to the promised land, without it we wouldn't get there. Many local people employed there too so I hope the businesses thrive.

Others have written of the swaying crowds on packed terraces, police vans parked en masse alongside Hove Park, all written with more than a little use of rose tinted spectacles me thinks. I will always recall the smell of the burger van at the top of Newtown Road as I approached from the HPT, and Harty raucously shouting out 'Gulls Eye!' as I passed what is now the Shell petrol station. That was when I knew it was 'football day'.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
First had to go through work in 2007,worked for a company as a van driver and the company i worked for wanted me to collect something from there-let's just say i was not happy but needs must-

Anyway,i did go there but only after i parked in the car park and spent good 5 mins uttering all sorts to the heavens,about the sacred ground and that how i must be forgiven,how we would have Falmer and that when that day came,we could in some way forgive..

Only been to Burger King due to the daughter a couple of times and i must admit even when i go in there i call feel the weight of the North East terrrace's bearing down on the place.

To a degree i have moved on,i always say a prayer if i have to drive past,it remains a sacred holy place.

My brother for comparison has never been back,never will.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Similar to GWF above. I no longer hold a grudge against the companies that have moved in, but the ground is hallowed.

Going back there would feel like walking over someone's grave. I just cannot do it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
No, never been. I don't intend to either. There are plenty of other places where I'd rather spend my money

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Been there many times in the past, but not for years. I still go past it probably at least once a week – either on foot or by car – and I don't have an issue with the shops that are there. I DO however remember the good times and the atmosphere it created and getting in there one day after school and a mate missing an open (north stand) goal! I would find it strangely satisfying if, way in the future, where everything is purchased online, the shops are long gone and it goes back to being a field to play football on. It'll never happen – It'll be housing, but one can dream...

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Burger King is good if you need to use the loo.

Else never set foot there or even think of buying anything there.

TB

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent. These days I look across the park and sense the absence of the ground like an amputee can still feel sensation in a missing limb. The memories are so deep that I only have to see a thread like this to conjure up images of the pre-match hustle and bustle along an Old Shoreham Road shut to traffic, a cluster of Police Motorcycles on the edge of Hove Park, the clicking of the turnstiles, the climb up the steps at the back of the North Stand ... emerging through that miserable corrugated opening to be struck by the greenest green you ever did see, the bright white lines and the hum of expectation from the gathering clans. I'm buggered if I'm ever going back there. I can't even drive past it.

It was incredibly green wasn't it. Must have been something in the floodlights

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Doncaster was the last time I went, never been back there since.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent. These days I look across the park and sense the absence of the ground like an amputee can still feel sensation in a missing limb. The memories are so deep that I only have to see a thread like this to conjure up images of the pre-match hustle and bustle along an Old Shoreham Road shut to traffic, a cluster of Police Motorcycles on the edge of Hove Park, the clicking of the turnstiles, the climb up the steps at the back of the North Stand ... emerging through that miserable corrugated opening to be struck by the greenest green you ever did see, the bright white lines and the hum of expectation from the gathering clans. I'm buggered if I'm ever going back there. I can't even drive past it.

I used to live off the same road and could hear the roar from my garden. Feel the same. Shopped there once or twice but it felt like taking a dump on someones grave so I give it a wide berth. Great post mate.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
A few weeks ago I was out with my sister and her partner and they had her niece with them, the niece wanted to go into the big pet shop and Toys R Us, I got dropped off outside and went for a walk. Didn't even go on the premises, never have and never will.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't actively boycott the place any more, but never seem to have cause for shopping in any of the stores there. I've used the Burger King on rare occasions.
All a far cry from when I inadvertently drove past during the demolition. That was a real gut-wrenching moment that still gives me nightmares.
I loved the place and have wonderful memories of going there with my dad who sadly never saw the AMEX, but I don't think I'd want to turn the clock back.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Moved on a few years ago. No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face as they say. But then saying that I am hardly ever over that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here