Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomer Hemed

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's nothing to do with Murray being here or Baldock scoring more. Hemed's goals last season (17 of them) dried up when LuaLua, and then March, got injured. Baldock was also injured which affects both Murray (as seen at Preston and Huddersfield) and Hemed.
He started scoring again when Knockaert arrived as he was getting some service.

What, you mean it's a team game ? :lolol::lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's nothing to do with Murray being here or Baldock scoring more. Hemed's goals last season (17 of them) dried up when LuaLua, and then March, got injured. Baldock was also injured which affects both Murray (as seen at Preston and Huddersfield) and Hemed.
Even then though lets not forget Tomer was left high and dry by being the only fit striker for x months.

He was clearly dead on his feet by the time we got to the pointy end of the season, and it showed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Correct. It's not rocket science. Both Murray and Hemed thrive on service. Whilst is not unheard of for them to magic a goal from nowhere they are much happier finding themselves on the end of a decent cross or throughball. That we now have four wide options available this season with March, Murphy, Skalak and of course Knockaert goes a long way to aiding our goal difference this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even then though lets not forget Tomer was left high and dry by being the only fit striker for x months.

He was clearly dead on his feet by the time we got to the pointy end of the season, and it showed.

But despite all that, he scored 17 goals in his first English season in the Championship. That's better than Zamora, Ulloa, CMS, Barnes or even Murray when he was at THAT club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But despite all that, he scored 17 goals in his first English season in the Championship. That's better than Zamora, Ulloa, CMS, Barnes or even Murray when he was at THAT club.

and yet x weeks/months ago, there were people here adamant he wasn't even top half Championship standard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and yet x weeks/months ago, there were people here adamant he wasn't even top half Championship standard.

There were some people on here,who didn't think Barnes was even League One standard. You know, that Barnes, who is playing regularly in the Premier League.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I actually think Tomer may be looking a bit brighter this season because we haven't flogged him through nearly every minute of every game as our sole outlet when he or the team have had dips in form like we did last season.

But what do I know, I'm sure it's the kick up the arse and the increased competition that have made all the difference :rolleyes:

I think we are top two this season principally because Murray replaced Hemed, the former is a better finisher notwithstanding Hemed's solid virtues.

In many ways I don't think we've been as good in midfield this season as last when Stephens and Kayal carried all before them (hence the wide perception we haven't played well but still have won games) - but all other departments have been better, defence completed by Duffy, more clinical finishing thanks to Murray, a full season of Knocky's deadly playmaking

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we are top two this season principally because Murray replaced Hemed, the former is a better finisher notwithstanding Hemed's solid virtues.

In many ways I don't think we've been as good in midfield this season as last when Stephens and Kayal carried all before them (hence the wide perception we haven't played well but still have won games) - but all other departments have been better, defence completed by Duffy, more clinical finishing thanks to Murray, a full season of Knocky's deadly playmaking
Were Brighton to have signed Murray instead of Hemed, last season, I doubt he would have coped with the work load required.
I'd love to know how the 'minutes played' stack up for Tomer's first 30 games last season v Murray this year.

Which in turn begs the question:-
Why was such a massive gamble taken by only have 1 Sam Baldock?

Sure it's all but paid off, so we (I) can't get too titsy, but blimey charlie a dangerous game to play!

(In for a penny) With Knockaert's away form should that not read a half season of Knocky's deadly playmaking :jester:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'd put our better position down to
-fewer catastrophic and coinciding injuries - we were really stuffed around the midwinter period last time
-better cover when we have had injuries and when we've needed to rest players having a dip or just tired (including having Tomer and Glenn, not just one of them - last two games a good example, one starts, one on the bench, the one of the bench comes on and scores - last season when Tomer had run himself into the ground we'd we'd have brought on....er.......sicknote Wilson ?)
-a much stronger defence (sorry Connor)

Don't think Murray is the primary factor, just one of them. All opinions though :cheers:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
-fewer catastrophic and coinciding injuries - we were really stuffed around the midwinter period last time
-better cover when we have had injuries and when we've needed to rest players having a dip or just tired (including having Tomer and Glenn, not just one of them - last two games a good example, one starts, one on the bench, the one of the bench comes on and scores - last season when Tomer had run himself into the ground we'd we'd have brought on....er.......sicknote Wilson ?)

Don't think Murray is the primary factor, just one of them. All opinions though :cheers:

Agree, we've created a lot more chances this season. My own feeling is that Hemed would be there or thereabouts with Murray's tally for the same minutes played. As you've said, having them pretty much injury free and being able to use them both has been instrumental. They both still seem very fresh.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
image.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just spotted that I had the above piccie on my phone. Can't find the thread which talked about the technique Tomer uses....which is basically to wait until the last second, by which time the oppo keeper has committed himself. This photo seems to have (fortuitously) captured that moment.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Agree with every word of that - good summary.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just spotted that I had the above piccie on my phone. Can't find the thread which talked about the technique Tomer uses....which is basically to wait until the last second, by which time the oppo keeper has committed himself. This photo seems to have (fortuitously) captured that moment.

Good shot - can see the keeper has transferred his weight onto his left foot, meaning he has basically no chance of moving to his right in time. I guess if Tomer doesn't see a movement he'll stick it in a predetermined corner.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's all about the service for both of them. March provides this more than Skalak and it is interesting that Skalak wasn't even on the bench against Burton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here