Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season ticket renewal 2017/18

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Disagree. Tony Bloom's been heftily subbing us for five plus years. Should the P word happen, first dibs goes to TB starting to recoup some of those subs.

Agree TB has been subbing us. BUT the ratio of gate revenue to the immense riches afforded by TV rights and other commercial income was the only way TB was ever going to get a return on his investment. Putting up ticket prices IF we make the PL contributes very little relatively when compared to the £100m + at the start and end of the Premier League rainbow.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Granted. But the sentiment remains the same. TV and other commercial rights should be used (in comparatively very small part) to subsidise ticket prices in a downward fashion - NOT bloody upwards.

My personal feeling is that they should keep ticket prices static (which, due to fewer games, will lower revenue), offset that with the increased TV revenue and then try to repay as much of Bloom's investment in the club as is possible, putting the club on a more solid financial footing in future. I'm not saying repay the whole stadium or anything like that, but if a good chunk of any debt the club currently has can be paid off that would be excellent. I do know that Bloom has converted a good chunk of that debt into equity in the club, but he must still be owed plenty.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Prices will rise if we go up. Not unexpected to most. We will still need to generate as much revenue as possible to be anywhere near competitive. Why should TB keep subsidising us in the Prem

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Disagree. Tony Bloom's been heftily subbing us for five plus years. Should the P word happen, first dibs goes to TB starting to recoup some of those subs.

Oh I think Tony was astute enough to realise, when he agreed to take this job on, that he was never going to recoup very much of his outlay, if any.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree TB has been subbing us. BUT the ratio of gate revenue to the immense riches afforded by TV rights and other commercial income was the only way TB was ever going to get a return on his investment. Putting up ticket prices IF we make the PL contributes very little relatively when compared to the £100m + at the start and end of the Premier League rainbow.

Tony Bloom has never looked for a financial return on his investment in the Albion. He does it for love, not money.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Prices will rise if we go up. Not unexpected to most. We will still need to generate as much revenue as possible to be anywhere near competitive. Why should TB keep subsidising us in the Prem

He shouldn't, but some people who watch the Albion are extremely needy, and think they are doing the club a favour by having a ST.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bloody SUPERFAN! :rolleyes:

:moo:

I honestly think that TB would want to reinvest money back into the playing squad. If you look at the club potentially closest to the Albion in terms of facilities and owners, I would use Stoke as an example. They are owned by a gambling family (Bet365) and have competed in the PL for a number of years by paying competitive wages (£66 million in 2015) and aiming to break even.

When they were first promoted they did spend more than their peers on player recruitment, but that has now settled down as they have become more of an established club.

I would suspect TB has that approach in mind for the Albion.

I'm sure the club will play fair. We've never really had cause to complain about ST prices, especially when the travel subsidy is included.

However, this time last year the UK was in a period of deflation and any price rise would have been very hard to justify. This time around we do have inflation, currently at 1.4% with forecasts of it hitting 4% by the end of the year.

Saying that, in the Premier League with 19 games as opposed to 23, keeping the price the same would in effect be the same as a 21% increase.

So I vote for the same prices for those existing STH who renew early. Later ones, if there are any left should pay a higher price, especially if they are only willing to commit after top flight football is guaranteed.

Don't forget too, in top flight there is a £30 cap on away prices. I really can't see a situation where our cheapest home tickets are ever more than away tickets, so this would in effect be a reduction for Cat A games. Albeit, the club could probably circumnavigate this rule by ensuring that all of the lowest priced tickets (North, South ans WSU wings) are sold out to STH's.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Tony Bloom has never looked for a financial return on his investment in the Albion. He does it for love, not money.

TB does do it for love but he's astute enough to know that the PL is the only way to get a return. Most of the PL now make a profit despite paying astronomical wages. Love yes. Money also IF we make the PL.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
TB does do it for love but he's astute enough to know that the PL is the only way to get a return. Most of the PL now make a profit despite paying astronomical wages. Love yes. Money also IF we make the PL.

If the losses are in line with expectations his total investment in the Albion will be close to £300,000,000 by the end of the season. If we are lucky we might make a profit of £4-5 million from a season in the PL. None of the clubs in the PL, with the exception of Manchester United, are paying dividends to their owners, as most have huge losses brought forwards that have to be eliminated beforee a dividend is legal.

It would take about 50 years of continuous PL membership before the Albion's losses are eliminated based on the current level of profitability, so TB will have a very long wait.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I honestly think that TB would want to reinvest money back into the playing squad. If you look at the club potentially closest to the Albion in terms of facilities and owners, I would use Stoke as an example. They are owned by a gambling family (Bet365) and have competed in the PL for a number of years by paying competitive wages (£66 million in 2015) and aiming to break even.

When they were first promoted they did spend more than their peers on player recruitment, but that has now settled down as they have become more of an established club.

I would suspect TB has that approach in mind for the Albion.

BUT he has had to put in £200 million to get to that point. I would not begrudge him looking for a REDUCTION of what he has paid in by keeping back some of the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here