Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1973 Chelsea Cup tie - were you there ?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I was in the south stand next to the camera behind the goal.

I always remember being struck how big Osgood was.

Almost as wide as he was tall!

Oh and Jimmy Hill was there!

I was under the TV scaffolding and can vividly remember JH struggling to climb the ladder to everybody's cheers.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I was reminded by [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] 's rather wonderful programmes archive that its the anniversary of *that* 1973 cup tie at the Goldstone. Today.

[tweet]819960708054061056[/tweet]

There's a great Big Match of the highlights with of all people; Jimmy Hill doing the commentary via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5vwvaDcc0

It was my first ever Albion game. My Dad had secured me a crate to stand on. My memory is a little hazy but i think i must have been standing about here. I still sit next to my Dad in the Amex West Stand ...44 years later. Next to my sons. :). No crates required.

View attachment 81144

Anyone else on here remember going ?

That my first season of going with my mates from Bognor, rather than with my Dad. I was close to where that arrow is, mainly because it was close to the little programme booth in the NW corner. That season came to a disappointing end for me on the way back from the Nottingham Forest game.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
i was there too .torn between my two (at that time) teams !, think we had to go to a reserves game to enable us to buy a ticket for that game , so there was about 20,000 atthe goldstone for a reserves game

Think you may be confusing this game with the Derby game a few seasons later?

el punal

I saved this photo that came up on Twitter a couple of years back, this must of been from around that time.
It said this lot were Chelsea.

View attachment 81147

I remember this one. They were all in the Cricketers and had their first ever of pint of Watney's Red Barrel, had a sip then ran down to the prom to drink some seawater to get rid of the taste. :sick:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
no.jpg

el punal

I could have sworn Chelsea played in yellow (obviously not). I could have sworn it was an evening game (obviously not), have I got the wrong fixture? Did we play Chelsea early 70's midweek with them wearing yellow? And did we lose 1-2?

However I was standing North West, pretty much where you were.

Chelsea played in an unusual strip of red shirts, white shorts and green socks.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless it was the Chelsea cup tie of 1967. Tickets were sold at the reserves game against Notts County which had an "attendance" of 22,000+/-.

Fair enough. That was before my time at the goldstone. I'm pretty sure we just bought tickets for the 1973 game.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i was there too .torn between my two (at that time) teams !, think we had to go to a reserves game to enable us to buy a ticket for that game , so there was about 20,000 atthe goldstone for a reserves game

Unless it was the Chelsea cup tie of 1967. Tickets were sold at the reserves game against Notts County which had an "attendance" of 22,000+/-.

Just got my history book out as I remember reading about this.
Definitely 1967, you are correct el punal.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
It was definitely the 1967 game. I went to both matches - remember the South Stand being rammed for the reserve match.

You are right. If I remember correctly at the replay there were over 60000 there .I was stuck at the back and needed a telescope to see the game!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You are right. If I remember correctly at the replay there were over 60000 there .I was stuck at the back and needed a telescope to see the game!

Not far off, 54,852. Just been reading about it. Massive crowd that, shame about the result.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I went to the game in the back of a Transit van with about 10 others, I was only 9. They all shoved me to the front when we were standing in the north west. But I am so confused because I could have sworn the lights were on and Chelsea were in yellow. Oh shit I'm getting old.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to the game in the back of a Transit van with about 10 others, I was only 9. They all shoved me to the front when we were standing in the north west. But I am so confused because I could have sworn the lights were on and Chelsea were in yellow. Oh shit I'm getting old.

Lights would have been on, it was January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here