Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The honours sub-section in DS'; wiki page is actually quite long when compared to most footballers:-

Charlton Athletic
Football League One champions: 2011–12

There's something to be said for actually winning something.
The medal, the trophy photo, the parade, the new tattoo :facepalm:

DS is going to get paid, no matter what.

It's hard not to believe there isn't a massive 'what if' pull that will keep this team together, until the Summer.

They'll either want to be a part of the celebration or in the worst case scenario, I'm sure their ego would have them believe 'if only I stayed ...'

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think that anyone not prepared to show commitment by signing even so much as a year extension is taking the proverbial. The frankly arrogant tweet on deadline day is something I can absolutely point to. I accept he's playing well, and yes, is vital to our success at the moment, but will all be for nothing if he disappears at the end of the season without the club getting a penny for him. If he is that committed, sign an extension and that way all parties have something to gain.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I think that anyone not prepared to show commitment by signing even so much as a year extension is taking the proverbial. The frankly arrogant tweet on deadline day is something I can absolutely point to. I accept he's playing well, and yes, is vital to our success at the moment, but will all be for nothing if he disappears at the end of the season without the club getting a penny for him. If he is that committed, sign an extension and that way all parties have something to gain.

It won't be for nothing if he contributes towards promotion will it...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Football is a bit like sex, You might be attracted to what your playing with and you give it your best but it doesn't mean long term commitment is the right thing.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Football is a bit like sex, You might be attracted to what your playing with and you give it your best but it doesn't mean long term commitment is the right thing.

I don't think anyone is asking for long term commitment, just not to be left on the vinegar stroke, to use your analogy!!! He might be playing out of his skin at the moment, and fair play for that. But he's a valuable commodity, and if we lose him for nothing, that's a hell of a hole to fill with no compensation for it.

Jan 10, 2014
since Burnley have no need for another CM now.

Oh but we do,albeit not being an emergency.

Dean Marney will soon be 33 years old, and although he's not for the knackers yard just yet, we will have to start looking to the future.

Barton is only with us until the end of the season.

Defour can't hack 90 minutes of Premier League football, and his game time needs managing.

Aiden O'Neill is only 18 years old and isn't quite ready for Premier League football, even though he's done okay.

Not for one minute am I saying that it will be Stephens (even though he does fit the Marney mould), but we are after a centre midfielder.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Utter gubbins. It's a job at the end of day. Put yourself in his shoes and be playing for someone like Fulham. Why on earth do yourself out of a massive payday when you hold all the cards? As long as he'a giving 100% I couldn't care less. It certainly won't be all for nothing when he does leave at the end of the year if we go up. He's leaving the club either way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He'll get a lot more money if we do get promoted. Either with us or with another club with a big dollop of signing on fee as well.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Utter gubbins. It's a job at the end of day. Put yourself in his shoes and be playing for someone like Fulham. Why on earth do yourself out of a massive payday when you hold all the cards? As long as he'a giving 100% I couldn't care less. It certainly won't be all for nothing when he does leave at the end of the year if we go up. He's leaving the club either way.

Sorry but that's just mental. The difference between £0 and £5-6 million at our level is astonishing, I simply think it is madness to let someone of his calibre just disappear like that without reaping the benefits. I get that the sensible Burnley bid came too late in the day in September, but given that we have developed him as a player, the club deserves better. I'm astonished that no one seems to agree with me to be honest.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Depends on how you value him our initial outlay was less than £1m so arguably even if he walks for nothing we would have got amazing value from him.

He is taking a gamble and can see the Albion playing hardball if we are promoted and he looks for a deal to stay.

See no sense in selling him now as his on pitch performances have not been impacted. There are much more significant things at stake this season than losing DS on a free, the club know this which is why he is going nowhere

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Sorry but that's just mental. The difference between £0 and £5-6 million at our level is astonishing, I simply think it is madness to let someone of his calibre just disappear like that without reaping the benefits. I get that the sensible Burnley bid came too late in the day in September, but given that we have developed him as a player, the club deserves better. I'm astonished that no one seems to agree with me to be honest.

So, are you saying we should cash in for the sake of the money or because you think he's not giving enough?

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Depends on how you value him our initial outlay was less than £1m so arguably even if he walks for nothing we would have got amazing value from him.

He is taking a gamble and can see the Albion playing hardball if we are promoted and he looks for a deal to stay.

See no sense in selling him now as his on pitch performances have not been impacted. There are much more significant things at stake this season than losing DS on a free, the club know this which is why he is going nowhere

I totally get your last paragraph, there certainly is more at stake than a few million for him, and I can see why we're playing hardball. But we are the ones taking a gamble. If, for instance, and god forbid, we fail to go up, he walks for nothing and we then have to replace him. And I fully agree that Stephens is utter quality. So how much do you have to spend to buy someone of equivalent quality? I'm just quite pessimistic on the chances of him utterly shafting the Albion. I would LOVE to be proved wrong, but I sadly doubt it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hope he stays, as I think he's an excellent player and a real asset.

But if he does go, I trust the club to make the right decision and I suspect we have the central midfield power to get us over the line. I'm not as worried about this as I was pre-season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Are you aware of how much promotion is worth?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He might be playing out of his skin at the moment, and fair play for that. But he's a valuable commodity, and if we lose him for nothing, that's a hell of a hole to fill with no compensation for it.
Commodity! He's a human. We paid a fee for a set number of years, that's it. Even if we don't get promoted, he's done what he was paid to do. If we do get promoted, that's a hell of a lot of compensation.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So, are you saying we should cash in for the sake of the money or because you think he's not giving enough?

Money, of course. He IS a beast, and his performances have been great. But my worry is that all he's doing is putting himself in the shop window, I understand that that doesn't hurt us in the circumstances we are in, but if he disappears off up north at the end of the season for nothing, we're going to have to pay big money to replace him. Selling him now cushions that blow somewhat. Ideal world for me is that he signs a one year extension with a non promotion clause and a promotion extension clause. Win win all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here