Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Bristow having a mare...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've struggled with a bit of the press coverage to be honest. All sorts of side stories, interviews with people who knew the man but nothing happened to. The view of an 80s darts player is irrelevant. The police need victims to contact them and not to put off by a side show.

It doesn't have to be a story a day.

The news is now about cover ups. Instead of facing the problems, & dealing with them, it seems some clubs have paid victims for their silence.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's bizarre. I'm not in to twitter pitch fork wielding but I can't see any defence for what he said. We had a thread on here about the abuse story. People spoke of the victim's bravery in coming forward. Up pops Eric to demonstrate one of the many reasons they have to be so brave in coming forward. The dick.

Absolutely agree. Victims carry the guilt and pain of this type of abuse, in many cases, to their grave, with the perp never being found out. To see grown men weep through the relief of being able to finally rid themselves of all the guilt and shame is an example to any young person hiding in fear. Eric has just underlined why kids feel they can't speak out, old school 'give em a dig ya nancy' does not work when you are a kid. If the example of footballers talking about it inspires one young kid to reach out for help then some good may come from this. I would like to see the media focus on that rather than roasting Eric.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What a shocking interview – from both sides. Piers let Bristow get to him but talking across him, which completely takes away the impartiality that journalists should have. Bristow has clearly been briefed to change his approach completely with this "young people should come forward now". If only he had said that in the first place, he may well have got a very different reaction (or not much at all).

Personally I wouldn't have given him the airtime, but then it's a ratings game and tweets continue to feed the news...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
[tweet]803893090759086080[/tweet]

Wow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Chris Moyles on Radio X laid into Bristow this morning when, on their news roundup, they said he had apologised.

Moyles was going through Bristow's twitter feed where it seems he was continuously retweeting people who agreed with his initial comments that started all of this. Moyles' point was that Bristow clearly wasn't sorry about what he'd said, just sorry that he was now getting a load of grief.

I think that observation is probably correct.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Chris Moyles on Radio X laid into Bristow this morning when, on their news roundup, they said he had apologised.

Moyles was going through Bristow's twitter feed where it seems he was continuously retweeting people who agreed with his initial comments that started all of this. Moyles' point was that Bristow clearly wasn't sorry about what he'd said, just sorry that he was now getting a load of grief.

Hes not going to retweet lots of abuse hes getting is he ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Which Eric has said any money from interviews will be going to relevant charity.

Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't his initial intention - more like to try and cash in somehow on all this. Why should he need a fee to explain his comments?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which Eric has said any money from interviews will be going to relevant charity.

Well, he would say that now, wouldn't he. More likely he's just trying to swerve a further shitstorm.

If the money was going to a relevant charity, then why not tell the BBC to pay it directly to them ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sounds like most of his GMB interview.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Well, he would say that now, wouldn't he. More likely he's just trying to swerve a further shitstorm.

If the money was going to a relevant charity, then why not tell the BBC to pay it directly to them ?

How do you know he didnt say that ? BBC might just say that to drum up coverage as GMTV obviously paid it ?

Although not a fan of his but a person who likes darts he does do a lot of exhibitions for charity

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't believe that a man who has just been sacked from his main job with Sky and who is now losing exhibition work like the Newcastle Utd gig in a week's time would be giving £5K to any charity any time soon.

Bristow will soon be joining fellow dinosaurs like Andy Gray, Richard Keys, Martin Fitzmaurice, Ron Atkinson and Rodney Marsh on the "Banished" list of sports presenters.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I don't believe that a man who has just been sacked from his main job with Sky and who is now losing exhibition work like the Newcastle Utd gig in a week's time would be giving £5K to any charity any time soon.

Bristow will soon be joining fellow dinosaurs like Andy Gray, Richard Keys, Martin Fitzmaurice, Ron Atkinson and Rodney Marsh on the "Banished" list of sports presenters.

Martin Fitzmaurice is dead

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How do you know he didnt say that ? BBC might just say that to drum up coverage as GMTV obviously paid it ?

Although not a fan of his but a person who likes darts he does do a lot of exhibitions for charity

BBC sports correspondent Richard Conway told the Victoria Derbyshire programme: 'What I understand is that the BBC last night asked Eric Bristow if he would come on, if he would talk about this, and Eric Bristow's management asked for a fee of £5,000 in order for him to appear and talk about this issue.' Conway later tweeted that they asked for £5,000 plus VAT. He added: 'BBC declined to pay Bristow this or any fee.'

and then Bristow said

'I don't use PR people to run my social account as some do, and now appreciate my wording was wrong and offended many people when all I was doing was venting my anger at the abusers and encouraging kids to act asap".

'I know why I've been vilified but if one child comes forward quicker or one abuser thinks twice about the likelihood of being confronted then it will have been worth it. Any monies offered or received for any interviews with me will be donated in full to a relevant charity.'

Draw your own conclusions. Personally I think the bloke is full of shit, and is now just in full-on damage limitation mode. Nothing whatsover in his tweets was about "encouraging kids to act asap", or venting anger at abusers. It was all about "darts players like me are well 'ard because we'd have sorted the poof/paedo out (delete as applicable) when we got older, whereas footballers are wimps".

Lets face it, he'd have trousered that five grand if it hadn't come out that his manager had asked for it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Putting to one side for a moment, whether he is an abhorrent man, misunderstood or just a mistaken drunken tweet, have we come to the point where there is absolutely no room for individual opinions, beyond TV networks demanding it from their employees, which is slightly another matter.

It seems to me even if I cared about celeberity that I quite like hearing the real opinion, even if I disagree or find it quite bewildering, I am rarely offended.

Bristow is an ex champion dart player, historically relevent one too, no more really, even with the weight of this issue I am quite glad not everyone blurts out the normal sanctimonious drivel that they know is demanded even if they hold a totally different view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here