Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Trollope, new Albion assistant manager

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd say more like no one should be putting it on the public internet. Even at under 10s, 7-a-side, no league table level I don't go and tell my opposition coach what we've been working on in training.

That's a bit different from what I meant (but concede didn't actually say in that post) which is who deals with defensive and attacking training.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's a bit different from what I meant (but concede didn't actually say in that post) which is who deals with defensive and attacking training.

They all deal with it. Obviously. Football is a fluid game, defense to attack can happen in the blink of an eye. You cannot train defense without training attack, or attack wirthout defense. Calderwood would have assisted training all aspects, same with Nevin. All under what Hughton had directed towards the defensive style Hughton wants.

Football is not the NFL, you do not have seperate coaches and teams for attack and defense. They are all one and the same. Our defensive solidity is down to our manager, and the disciplined system he has instilled, and the quality players we have to implement that system nothing more nothing less.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Stevie G anyone?? Turning down MK Dons apparently.. what a good opportunity for aspiring coach to come into good set-up, learn from experienced Manager and have something to add to the players.. with the odd cameo appearance (Tarrico-style) when needed! OK, am being a bit tongue in cheek, and I am sure we would want experience to hit the ground running without the media circus it would draw.. but.. is it so far removed from Newcastle/Celtic opportunity that is apprantly being touted??

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stevie G anyone?? Turning down MK Dons apparently.. what a good opportunity for aspiring coach to come into good set-up, learn from experienced Manager and have something to add to the players.. with the odd cameo appearance (Tarrico-style) when needed! OK, am being a bit tongue in cheek, and I am sure we would want experience to hit the ground running without the media circus it would draw.. but.. is it so far removed from Newcastle/Celtic opportunity that is apprantly being touted??

Yes

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They all deal with it. Obviously. Football is a fluid game, defense to attack can happen in the blink of an eye. You cannot train defense without training attack, or attack wirthout defense. Calderwood would have assisted training all aspects, same with Nevin. All under what Hughton had directed towards the defensive style Hughton wants.

Football is not the NFL, you do not have seperate coaches and teams for attack and defense. They are all one and the same. Our defensive solidity is down to our manager, and the disciplined system he has instilled, and the quality players we have to implement that system nothing more nothing less.

Thanks, you put what I meant though I didn't actually say any of it. While there are defensive drills and attacking plays one seeps in to the other seemlessly. You look at Klopp and his defence starts by closing down opposing defenders or even keepers as high up as possible. Guardiola also presses high but also uses his keeper as a final (and first) defender. That's team tactics and team training.

As I posted earlier in the thread I coach under 10s and am L1 qualified. All of the defensive drills you go over getting that qualification include an attacking element. You may be focussed on defensive skills for a drill or two but you don't suddenly stop coaching the attackers. We generally have 16 at training and I have a joint manager. Very usual to split them in to two 8s and do four on four attack v defence work. An absolute key to that is quick counter attacking when you win the ball back so the defenders don't stay the defenders the whole time.

EDIT - that's generic information, not our whole strategy :lolol:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

In that Newcastle and Celtic are huge Clubs, but in terms of the opportunity that they would offer someone like SG to develop as a coach/potential manager? I would argue that those links are only stronger because of the old Liverpool connections. If you wanted stability, facilities, experience to learn from, an ambitious Club that will help you learn about managing within budgets then we would be pretty close right here and now? Not suggesting that it is the same opportunity, but not that far removed if you are looking for developmental environment - in fact there might be benefits not going to such big clubs. The comparison I am making is in the opportunity not the Clubs themselves.. I don't think it will happen, or that we would necessarily want it to..

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I wouldn't want to even think about Steven Gerrard for the reasons you mention namely his experience and what would come with his appointment. I think the club are quite happy to be out of the media spotlight, except for regular visits from Sky. Gerrard would make this almost impossible.

Trollope would seem on the outside a very good appointment. Hopefully, if we do go for him, it will turn out to be the case.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In that Newcastle and Celtic are huge Clubs, but in terms of the opportunity that they would offer someone like SG to develop as a coach/potential manager? I would argue that those links are only stronger because of the old Liverpool connections. If you wanted stability, facilities, experience to learn from, an ambitious Club that will help you learn about managing within budgets then we would be pretty close right here and now? Not suggesting that it is the same opportunity, but not that far removed if you are looking for developmental environment - in fact there might be benefits not going to such big clubs. The comparison I am making is in the opportunity not the Clubs themselves.. I don't think it will happen, or that we would necessarily want it to..
[MENTION=14218]Finch[/MENTION]ley has articulated a much better response than I could, but I'd imagine that there are far tighter links with Newcastle (via Benitez) and Liverpool. Celtic's reputation, dominance of Scottish football, and the atmosphere has attracted (far too) many in the past, and this might be the same for Gerrard. There's also the issue of what precisely Gerrard would do, especially when compared to what his title is.
Some combination of player and coach would be ideal for us, but I wouldn't take the former if it meant over-promotion in terms of the latter. If he worked behind CH and, fingers-crossed, Trollope then that would work for us but probably not for him. Tex and Hyypia would be the links with us, but as you concluded it probably won't happen, nor do we necessarily want it to.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I wouldn't want to even think about Steven Gerrard for the reasons you mention namely his experience and what would come with his appointment. I think the club are quite happy to be out of the media spotlight, except for regular visits from Sky. Gerrard would make this almost impossible.

Trollope would seem on the outside a very good appointment. Hopefully, if we do go for him, it will turn out to be the case.

I've always liked Gerrard and his leadership qualities but he isn't the right man for us at this moment in time-even if he was/is interested.

Right now we need 'more of the same' from a qualified assistant manager. Apart from the minor blip with Hyppia I'm sure Tony will get it right, after all, he has a couple of hundred million reasons to do just that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seeing as Calderwood resigned 10 days ago, this seems to be dragging on a bit if Trollope is the choice.

Other names in the frame ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Seeing as Calderwood resigned 10 days ago, this seems to be dragging on a bit if Trollope is the choice.

Other names in the frame ?

In the world of football or big business it is not unusual for people to be unable to move within a ''time frame''

Termination Payments often legally restrict when you can take up a new appointment. That's not only in football but in banking or big business, if termination payments account for ''loss of earning'' for a stipulated period it can restrict taking new employments.

For instance lets say Barclays bank pay a termination payment on 31st January and the loss of earnings period is 3 months then you are in effect paid right through to 30th April.

If you then take up new employments with comparable earnings in that period then there is no lost earnings. That could potentially make the ''loss of earnings payment'' from Barclays Bank repayable to them.

So from a legal perspective Paul Trollope may not be a not be an option without legal wranglings. He may not even be who we want - OR there may be no ''loss of earnings'' block whatsoever and CH stated he wants to take his time to think about things. He has a very capable Assistant in Paul Nevin currently.

I think we just wait and see and let the people at the club move for who they want in their own time frame. It's a waste of time trying to second guess things.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't help feeling all those touting Gerrard, whether for this job (no chance), MK Dons or whatever, are falling into the classic trap of assuming that, because somebody was a great player, he'll make a great manager.

History shows plenty of failures in that respect. Equally, it shows us plenty of highly successful managers who weren't exactly world class players (Wenger, peak Mourinho, Klopp etc). Being a great manager in this day & age strikes me as being more about having a real empathy with people, about being able to relate to them and understand their wants & needs, and earning their respect & trust accordingly. It's about making them feel valued & wanting to contribute (hopefully that doesn't sound too David Brent...). That's what makes players want to do their best for you, it's what keeps them on your side and pulling in the same direction even when they might not be in the team. The coaching side of it tends to be dealt with by others anyway, so playing ability doesn't really come into it. Sure, you might get younger players going "Wow, Steven Gerrard, I really want to impress him", but if he's then found wanting in the day to day people-management side of things, then he'll eventually fail.

He'd also bring a massive media circus with him, which is absolutely not what our current squad is about. No thanks from me.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Football is not the NFL, you do not have seperate coaches and teams for attack and defense.

I agree, in football you have a defence, in soccer you have a defense.

signed A. Pedant

btw. I also agree with your comments!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the world of football or big business it is not unusual for people to be unable to move within a ''time frame''

Termination Payments often legally restrict when you can take up a new appointment. That's not only in football but in banking or big business, if termination payments account for ''loss of earning'' for a stipulated period it can restrict taking new employments.

For instance lets say Barclays bank pay a termination payment on 31st January and the loss of earnings period is 3 months then you are in effect paid right through to 30th April.

If you then take up new employments with comparable earnings in that period then there is no lost earnings. That could potentially make the ''loss of earnings payment'' from Barclays Bank repayable to them.

So from a legal perspective Paul Trollope may not be a not be an option without legal wranglings. He may not even be who we want - OR there may be no ''loss of earnings'' block whatsoever and CH stated he wants to take his time to think about things. He has a very capable Assistant in Paul Nevin currently.

I think we just wait and see and let the people at the club move for who they want in their own time frame. It's a waste of time trying to second guess things.

The Argus article I posted a link to, reckons he'll be here before Saturday.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Argus article I posted a link to, reckons he'll be here before Saturday.

Really - That's brilliant news. I was hoping Chris would go for Paul and give the job to him. I really think the players would enjoy working with him, he is such a nice guy

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I agree, in football you have a defence, in soccer you have a defense.

signed A. Pedant

btw. I also agree with your comments!

Fair comment. I am actually annoyed at myself for that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Star (Tues) reported that CC has joined Villa as No 2 and been replaced at Brighton by Paul Trollope, is this confirmed or speculation as to what he thinks will happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here