Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie cricket...............

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Bold, attacking, and opportunistic: Warner was the off the field when Faf declared, which meant he wasn't allowed to come out to open. Forces us to go with Khawaja and Renshaw.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bold, attacking, and opportunistic: Warner was the off the field when Faf declared, which meant he wasn't allowed to come out to open. Forces us to go with Khawaja and Renshaw.

Presumably deliberate, bit of mind games :lol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Australia close 14/0. The bits I saw this morning were a different game to test cricket.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Shoulder injury for Warner, apparently. Not yet seen how bad - may be a blessing in disguise that Faf declared when he did. If Khawaja and Renshaw can bat through a good chunk of overs tomorrow, they can give that injury a bit of time to settle before Warner has to go out and test it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Australia close 14/0. The bits I saw this morning were a different game to test cricket.

Pink balls tea for lunch and dinner for tea is definitely a very different game. South Africa's happy go lucky, 2-0 Series winners, approach didn't help but made for a good days 'cricket'.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Would it work over here? (I've sat through some pretty chilly 20:20 evenings at Hove.)

I've sat through some chilly days, as well.
It's down to the ball and it's early days on that. It's meant to swing less in the day than a red ball as it has an extra coat of lacquer. It's then meant to swing for the short part of the game under the lights when there is a dark sky. That didn't happen today.

Interestingly the extra coat on the pink ball is to stop it going mucky from the grass and soil. A white ball in 50 overs games has to be changed half way through as they start to become camouflaged. For me I am a traditionalist but, if other countries cannot fill their stadiums, I suppose these ventures have to be looked at.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Would it work over here? (I've sat through some pretty chilly 20:20 evenings at Hove.)

I've sat through some chilly days, as well.
It's down to the ball and it's early days on that. It's meant to swing less in the day than a red ball as it has an extra coat of lacquer. It's then meant to swing for the short part of the game under the lights when there is a dark sky. That didn't happen today.

Interestingly the extra coat on the pink ball is to stop it going mucky from the grass and soil. A white ball in 50 overs games has to be changed half way through as they start to become camouflaged. For me I am a traditionalist but, if other countries cannot fill their stadiums, I suppose these ventures have to be looked at.

We find out next summer in the Edgbaston Test against The West Indies. Atherton wrote a piece about in The Times a while back, saying it's worth the try and if the weather is good it'll work out. If it isn't, and the dates for that test match this year were miserable weather, it won't. I heard in the bits I saw on BT earlier Michael Clarke moaning about how cold it was in Adelaide today incidentally.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We find out next summer in the Edgbaston Test against The West Indies. Atherton wrote a piece about in The Times a while back, saying it's worth the try and if the weather is good it'll work out. If it isn't, and the dates for that test match this year were miserable weather, it won't. I heard in the bits I saw on BT earlier Michael Clarke moaning about how cold it was in Adelaide today incidentally.

Thanks for tip off, didn't know we were trying them (or forgot). That will lead to an increase in drunkeness with loads of fans spending a few hours in the pub before play begins and maybe spending less on beer in the ground..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A white ball in 50 overs games has to be changed half way through as they start to become camouflaged.

I've played some white ball cricket and the it does get harder to pick later on the evening - it's decidedly off-white by then. I'd like to say that would be an excuse for my missing the ball but I bat like Mr Magoo with a red ball too

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Australia looking in charge now, 191/3 with Khwaja 103 no.

Should get a useful 1st innings lead from here.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Two disappointing things: Renshaw failing in the morning after seeing out the difficult period yesterday, and Smith getting himself run out while set.

But Handscomb looks to be doing a good job, and Khawaja has clearly re-found his form. Hopefully the lads can see out the new ball and get to stumps at worst 4 down and with a bit of a lead already established.

Edit to add: Drinks in the final session, Handscomb with 50 on debut, Khawaja looking very solid. 17 overs to play in theory, already with a 7 run lead. 17 overs, let's assume the run rate slows a bit, so 2.5/over gives a lead of ... around 50 at stumps.

... and as I'm typing, Handscomb gets out through poor technique. Now this'll get interesting ... Maddinson's an aggressive player. There will either be plenty of runs, or at least one more wicket before stumps.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here