Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wouldnt go as far as to say played well but improved drastically. But can we afford only 45 mins good play.

Incidentally 2 PNE players were apparently on the train going home rather than team coach and said we would be top 4, our best player is Duffy, Bruno oozes class but at fault for the goal and Knockhaert is too keen on going to ground so doesnt get the kicks he should..

To be fair I'm yet to see a game where we've played well for 90 mins. I still don't think we are close to last year, but if we can keep improving and peak at the right time we have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I wasn't at the game yesterday, so I can only comment on what I've seen of the highlights. I've slowed down both PNE goals and looked at them. Firstly Bruno plays a half volley with the inside of his right foot back to Stockdale. It's a really high ball and a stupid one to play, i'm sure Stockdale was not expecting anything to come back to him as the play was fairly far away. So a large portion of the blame has to be with Bruno for putting his goalkeeper under unnecessary pressure. However, Stockdale doesn't have any other players near him when he tries to control the ball, he takes it with the top of his thigh and hip. The control was poor and the ball bounced too far and straight to their player. I do believe that Stockdale had time to volley it (which would be the preferred choice), head it, start running back and let it bounce a few times before clearing. But to do that he had to expect the pass which he didn't. I have to say I portion the blame as much at Stockdale's door as Bruno's, simply because there was time to deal with it and there wasn't anyone near him. For the Second, a long high ball over should have been delt with by both Duffy and Dunk but their giant wins the header, but Stockdale takes a step forward towards where Duffy, Dunk and their player are, and then when Dunk and Duffy don't win the header he is left too close to his near post and flat footed. The reason he does that is i think he is fully expecting Duffy or Dink to win the header and then he can clear up the 2nd ball. Overall I think he was more at fault for the first than the 2nd but and our outfielders have to take at least half the blame (Bruno for the first), Murphy and the defence for the 2nd. Stockdale could have done better, especially for the first goal. I'm not hating anyone, just calling it as I saw it, but yes only from video replays.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
So many of the goals we concede are too soft and Stockdale is to blame I'm afraid. Reading's first (cross which goes straight in), Reading's second (beaten at his near post too easily). Newcastle's first (he is beaten by a header from virtually outside the area), Newcastle's second (makes Shelvey look like like Messi), both Brentford goals (beaten at his near post and one straight at him). Now irrespective of the first yesterday what disappoints me the most about Stockdale are the number of goals he makes no attempt for. It was hardly a bullet header and at all at the end. At the very least he should be diving. Similarly to the Wednesday goal in the play offs at the Amex. It wasn't whipped in by Wallce but Stockdale stands there as if he had no chance. In summary I'm fed up with his no attempts and the weak efforts on our goal which always goes in. His place should be more vulnerable than it is as he is a weak link in our team No doubt.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
This comment is an absolute joke. Stockdale gets no credit for anything good but is blamed for everything bad. Whatever you say, Bruno is massively at fault for the first. There was no pressure on him to do that. He could have done anything. Stockdale didn't deal with it but I don't think many keepers would. As for the second, I've seen the replay and it is poor defending and the header is right in the corner.

Do you not see why comments like this make some think there's an anti Stockdale agenda from some posters.

If you would have read my original post I am not anti Stockdale however I do feel that he is not in great form at present and needs to improve on crosses and generally bossing his own penalty area.

Also I feel his distribution isn't what iit was last season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So many of the goals we concede are too soft and Stockdale is to blame I'm afraid. Reading's first (cross which goes straight in), Reading's second (beaten at his near post too easily). Newcastle's first (he is beaten by a header from virtually outside the area), Newcastle's second (makes Shelvey look like like Messi), both Brentford goals (beaten at his near post and one straight at him). Now irrespective of the first yesterday what disappoints me the most about Stockdale are the number of goals he makes no attempt for. It was hardly a bullet header and at all at the end. At the very least he should be diving. Similarly to the Wednesday goal in the play offs at the Amex. It wasn't whipped in by Wallce but Stockdale stands there as if he had no chance. In summary I'm fed up with his no attempts and the weak efforts on our goal which always goes in. His place should be more vulnerable than it is as he is a weak link in our team No doubt.

I do agree with this, he is beaten too easily but I have changed my original opinion that he isn't worth any points. I don't think he's worth the 10+ points per season that some people think he is, but he saves us more points than he costs us and has done over the last season or so. He's comfortably in credit but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be held to account as other players are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The big question is knowing that Maenpaa is a capable deputy but do we bring him in now or get Ben Roberts to work on Stockdale tomorrow prior to Wolves on Tuesday? I would go with the latter at this moment in time.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The big question is knowing that Maenpaa is a capable deputy but do we bring him in now or get Ben Roberts to work on Stockdale tomorrow prior to Wolves on Tuesday? I would go with the latter at this moment in time.

Tell Chris,perhaps all this blame of the keeper would not be happening IF Chris had kept him in the side....not saying Stcockdale should be out of the side but nothing sharpens the mind and focus like being kept out for a few games by an understudy who performs well enough to get a run in the team...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Doing well at Luton but we have 2 better at the moment.

Leave him there,besides we must off load Casper at the end of the season,unless Niki wishes to stay of course.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Maenpaa should start on Tuesday, he must wonder how invincible Stockdale is if he doesn't start. You can argue how much responsibility Stockdale should take for both goals, but the truth is he could have done better with both. So I think it's time to change keepers.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Maenpaa should start on Tuesday, he must wonder how invincible Stockdale is if he doesn't start. You can argue how much responsibility Stockdale should take for both goals, but the truth is he could have done better with both. So I think it's time to change keepers.

For the good of Niki,the team,morale and the long run i think it would be best..

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If you would have read my original post I am not anti Stockdale however I do feel that he is not in great form at present and needs to improve on crosses and generally bossing his own penalty area.

Also I feel his distribution isn't what iit was last season.

I read your original post just chose to ignore it as your other comments clearly show a bias. You basically blamed him for various goals and gave him no credit for our run of clean sheets. If that's not anti a player then what is?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I read your original post just chose to ignore it as your other comments clearly show a bias. You basically blamed him for various goals and gave him no credit for our run of clean sheets. If that's not anti a player then what is?

Read it how you like I feel it is an honest assessment of Stockdale this season. He just hasn't reached his level of last season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
For the good of Niki,the team,morale and the long run i think it would be best..

I don't know why I am surprised by threads like this. Stockdale was amazing last season. He's been very good this season. We have one of the best defensivecrecords in the league. I would be very surprised if a change was made on Tuesday. Stockdale is our number one and has done nothing to lose that, despite what people like you think. In fact, before yesterday's game we had conceded one goal (a late consolation goal) in five games. All that is left is for some to blame him for that as it's the only goal we've conceded this year that the anti Stockdale brigade haven't tried to blame him for

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Read it how you like I feel it is an honest assessment of Stockdale this season. He just hasn't reached his level of last season.

That is the concern of most as he was a great improvement last season on the previous but seems to have gone back to the original level of 14/15 season.

Finchley Seagull is entitled to an opinion but I dont think any body can say he has been good this season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That is the concern of most as he was a great improvement last season on the previous but seems to have gone back to the original level of 14/15 season.

Concern of most. At what point did you know what most people think? I am not too concerned as we currently have conceded 9 goals in 12 games and Stockdale has played a big part in that

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Concern of most. At what point did you know what most people think? I am not too concerned as we currently have conceded 9 goals in 12 games and Stockdale has played a big part in that

My most is based on rational thinking people not ones that are obviously biased and can see no wrong. When called upon this season he has not met the mark. Routine saves are what he is paid to do we need the keeper to step up to the mark when called upon, which he did last season but sadly not this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
My most is based on rational thinking people not ones that are obviously biased and can see no wrong. When called upon this season he has not met the mark. Routine saves are what he is paid to do we need the keeper to step up to the mark when called upon, which he did last season but sadly not this.

What rubbish. You are massively biased. Also, I think it is not worth debating with someone who thought he should have caught Bruno's backpass as it would have been a free kick from where the backpass was played from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here