Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just for the record, it is not usually an offence to have hung someone. To have hanged them is far more serious.

(On the same subject I saw an interesting piece of politically-neutral Referendum research last week, on the subject of 'predictors'. Predictors are the things that help you make a guess. If you tried to guess the way the next person you met in the street voted on 23 June you would have a 52 (or 48) per cent chance of being right. If you knew their gender the figure would be about the same. If you knew their age and education and what they did for a job you would be able to make a more accurate guess. But knowledge of two things in particular would really really help you get it right. They were "attitude to immigration" (as expected) and "attitude to capital punishment" (slight surprise). So there you are - if someone is in favour of 'bringing back hanging' you can guess that they are in favour of Brexit and will be right three times out of four.
Thanks for the info, although still not sure how many people have been hanged by the EDL.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Then it is up to those who wish to stand to represent you and these nimrods to do a good job of explaining what their vote will do , so as to influence the outcome . So in your view if someone has a low IQ they are not deserving of a vote ?

I wouldn't base it on IQ as such. How about we keep it simple? You need to finish secondary education with the minimum of a single GCSE grade C or above, in English Language, in order to be eligible to vote. That should at least weed out the complete dinlows that can't even read or write properly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wouldn't base it on IQ as such. How about we keep it simple? You need to finish secondary education with the minimum of a single GCSE grade C or above, in English Language, in order to be eligible to vote. That should at least weed out the complete dinlows that can't even read or write properly.

I disagree. Although I'm firmly in the remain camp it was a democratic decision and the government should carry out the wishes of the majority of those who voted. Democracy should override everything else.

It's one person one vote, not based in IQ.

The Remain campaign failed to convince the electorate, and there were lies told on both sides, so the whole event was an embarrassment.

My main concern now is having little faith in the government to negotiate a good deal for the UK economy. Fox, Johnson and Davies have not shown anything impressive to date and appear to live in a common sense vacuum, Gove has taken the Murdoch shilling, and Farage (who will get my vote for the Radio 4 'Man of the Year' award despite his odious personality and views) is thinking of signing up for I'm a Celebrity.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That has always been the plan for the EU.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I disagree. Although I'm firmly in the remain camp it was a democratic decision and the government should carry out the wishes of the majority of those who voted. Democracy should override everything else.

I was always a big fan of that old Winston Churchill quote about democracy being the worst form of government apart from all the others that have been tried. These days I'm becoming a bit more cynical and I'm starting to think maybe we should try a few more.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was always a big fan of that old Winston Churchill quote about democracy being the worst form of government apart from all the others that have been tried. These days I'm becoming a bit more cynical and I'm starting to think maybe we should try a few more.

Best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship, such as the Albion under Tony Bloom or NSC.

I can't see anyone voting for such a regime though in a national plebiscite.

One day the machines will take over, and I for one will welcome our Google overlords.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Just had a look in the local post office. EURGBP is at 1.06 / 1.23. That means they'll sell you 1.06 Euros for £1, or buy 1.23 Euros for £1.

That means the exchange rate is 1.145, between the two, and the agent is taking a 7% commission on each transaction.

It doesn't mean "ONE POUND IS ONLY WORTH 1.06 EUROS, THE WORLD IS GOING TO END".

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Remain campaign failed to convince the electorate, and there were lies told on both sides, so the whole event was an embarrassment.

Agree, the EU didnt really get involved with a "we want you" message and remain banged on about the City this and the City that.

Of course most people think **** the city. The campaign should have been fought on:

Europe is essentially white christian so ask yourself where are these muslims coming from? Its OUTSIDE the EU

When you bugger off to benalmedinacosta for two weeks your beer and fags are probably gonna cost the same now

Finally you do realise its going to cost you to get into the country now by way of applying for a visa and you are going to have to queue up with all the towel heads and slant eyes as you cant go thru that bit with the nice gold stars and blue background.

Oh and forget about that job as well as it'll be easier to employ an EU passport holder than one who isn't.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm happy to knock the EU and its many limitations but that's not to say that it can't get things right occasionally.

Having written three papers in the last year on GDPR, this is one EU regulation that I know very well and it is one of those areas where it's got it spot on, giving far more protection to individuals (that's you and me) and compelling businesses to take data protection seriously. Nor is it true to say that it was passed by law makers without any input from directly-elected representatives - it was passed by the European Parliament in April this year (and MEPs are directly elected). And there was a lot of debate about this, with plenty of input from all sides. It's also not quite true to say that individual states have been sidelined by this: the GDPR provides for national Information Commissioners to interpret the rules according to their national concerns eg the level of fines inflicted on transgressors.

Interestingly, I've spoken to several lawyers and representatives of security companies about this and the overwhelming belief is that the European GDPR will be enshrined in British law, even though we'll no longer be members of the EU.

Although I'm an out voter (and would still vote out today), I am a bit worried by this tendency of fellow Brexiters to make up a load of nonsense about the EU. The EU provides plenty of ammunition through the things that's actually done without talking about things that the EU hasn't done. I think we should also accept that not every single thing that comes from the EU is bad or against our interests.

Gwylan, if you read my quote i was not attacking GDPR, I was merely using it as an example of how, because it is an EU Regulation, it has not been subject to any UK parliamentary scrutiny or approval. The reduction of parliamentary sovereignty was a warning made years ago by Benn and Powell, GDPR is just an example.

As you will know GDPR was effectively UK law when the EU Published it in May this year. The 2 year period we are in now is just the time allowed for firms to prepare for implementation. You are right to say Brexit won't change it because it's already on the statute book. This is the nub of the point, regardless of whether a law is good or bad UK parliament should (imo) be sovereign, but that is just not how EU laws work.

As for my own view on the GDPR my fear is the burden of cost it will place on small firms (and other non commercial entities) to implement the legislation. The GDPR is a game changer in privacy law, and has much that is needed and commendable. However like much of EU laws it lacks proportionality particularly for SMEs. Given the significant new demands of GDPR it is inevitable that it will drive up costs everywhere.

That said if you have done the work you say, I would expect you may be looking to get a pay rise anytime soon to reconcile with the increase in risk. Every cloud......

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So if you 'just meet someone on the street' there will be what percentage chance that they will have the information you require to make a wild guess printed on their T-shirt?

I suppose what the researcher meant that you made the guess before you actually saw them. As you suggest, it wouldn't really work otherwise - I mean, if you saw Attila coming towards you on his bike the Lenin cap and Smash Capitalism t-shirt would give you a bit of a clue that the chap isn't a natural UKIP voter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suppose what the researcher meant that you made the guess before you actually saw them. As you suggest, it wouldn't really work otherwise - I mean, if you saw Attila coming towards you on his bike the Lenin cap and Smash Capitalism t-shirt would give you a bit of a clue that the chap isn't a natural UKIP voter.
Not quite so obvious about whether he would have voted remain or leave, though. Vote Leave is not necessarily the same as vote UKIP. Lots of Labour voters voted for leave, but wouldn't normally vote UKIP (unless the main line parties look like trying to renege on the referendum).

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You are moving the goal posts.

You made your first statement, "paid for with EU taxpayers money" (I suspect deliberately incorrectly), to appeal to the Brexit mob mentality. That is the point of order I was raising and which formed the entire basis of the rest of your post.

You have since changed you tune, after being pointed out you were wrong, to question the financial independence of the EIB.

No I haven't, both statements stand.

Now, we may need to go down a technical rabbit hole to draw out the the nuances of bond underwriting, bank capitalisation and securitisation and therefore I suspect it's not worthy of a point of order, but let's see?

We can keep it simple to start with; since it was formed do you think the EIB has received any money from the EU budget (i.e. EU taxpayers) or money directly from the Governments (i.e. its taxpayers) that make up its members?

A simple yes or no gets the ball rolling....

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Another [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] argument blown out of the water. I'll add this to the list is supplied yesterday :lolol:

This is your problem, a constructive rational debate between adults does not need to regress to a position of blowing arguments out of the water........its little wonder you have kept a list mein wenig schweinshaxe!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

So you are saying that a naturalised Bosnian immigrant with a Masters in Engineering can't vote till he gets GCSE English :ffsparr:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well it shows the system doesn't work if one region of a country can overule the whole process.

Seems we are better off out in some ways.

Doesn't bode well for our deal with the EU though, but we shall see.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
So you are saying that a naturalised Bosnian immigrant with a Masters in Engineering can't vote till he gets GCSE English :ffsparr:

The wider issue would be no parties would look to make policies which favoured those unable to vote. Currently we already have that situation in some regard. Rather than the education of an individual the real participants in affecting voter mood and decisions are certain media outlets who either omit or embellish according to their world view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is your problem, a constructive rational debate between adults does not need to regress to a position of blowing arguments out of the water........its little wonder you have kept a list mein wenig schweinshaxe!

You're not you're usual spiky self today. Wonder why? :lolol:

PS its meine and capital S on the Schwein.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here