Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've commented before on the absolute pant-wetting obsession some have with Germany. Why this weird fetish? Pissed off their football team is better? The economy? Living standards and work standards much higher? Better jobs than you?
It's natural to take notice of Germany. It's the single most influential country in the EU and its also benefited greatly from the financial crisis.

Although if things go belly up with Deutsche bank, then perhaps that will change.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's natural to take notice of Germany. It's the single most influential country in the EU and its also benefited greatly from the financial crisis.

Although if things go belly up with Deutsche bank, then perhaps that will change.

One of my fathers favourite sayings was "German lost the war, but won the peace"

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Lol, he is a mad bugger! I still think he is arrogant and sarcastic. However he can hit the spot............:thumbsup:

4izzo9.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No they were not, people were talking about deals after giving up being members of the single market not as members of it.
is this perhaps where you are confusing yourself?
future deals concerning the single market are about access to not membership of. There is a big difference.
they are not membership deals as you have written, they are deals made after giving up being members of it and made as non members of the single market.
if you are a full member you don’t need deals, as you already have the benefits.

this confusion is perhaps why you didnt know a vote to leave was a vote to no longer be a member of the single market

The Leave narrative was our ability to retain the benefits of single market membership whilst limiting EU immigration. Whether the single market membership deals I mentioned involved de facto or actual membership is surely not the most central part of the argument. Knowing the reasons a number of my Leave friends voted the way they did I remain certain in my own mind that a proportion of Leave voters were not driven by concerns about removing Freedom of Movement. I fully understand that you feel that ending FoM was an absolute red line for 100 per cent of them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Leave narrative was our ability to retain the benefits of single market membership whilst limiting EU immigration. Whether the single market membership deals I mentioned involved de facto or actual membership is surely not the most central part of the argument.

well actually it was the central part of the point i was making.....in that everyone knew (whether you were in favour of full membership or not) that a leave vote meant giving up being members of the single market, and hopefully achieving beneficial deals as non members (as in the level of access to)
you were adamant it wasnt clear that LEAVE meant this at all. well done for moving the goalposts of what i was saying though.

The official REMAIN camp knew a leave vote meant no more being members of the single market.......im surprised you didnt know.

Knowing the reasons a number of my Leave friends voted the way they did I remain certain in my own mind that a proportion of Leave voters were not driven by concerns about removing Freedom of Movement. I fully understand that you feel that ending FoM was an absolute red line for 100 per cent of them.

Nope,ive never said that at all,you just made that up.
Only a few posts ago i said if you voted to leave, whether you wanted to end free movement or keep it you knew putting your cross in the Leave box meant voting to end free movement.....it was the well known position of the LEAVE campaign.
Likewise with a remain vote.....if you are against free movement and want immigration controlled but wanted EU membership as an overriding factor, you placed your cross in the remain box, but with the full knowledge it meant a vote to keep free movement as it was the proposed position of vote REMAIN.
i was also very clear lots of people were for and against various issues in each camp but KNEW what was being proposed and which team stood for what on free movement, ECJ and the single market.....so i would appreciate you dont put words in my mouth ....so to speak.

Everyone knew the positions, they knew the consequences of their vote and what it meant on The ECJ, free movement and being members of the single market when they put their cross in the box.
hope this clears it up

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You are obsessed with the going ons over here, the UK..... you can not keep away....can you. Sad or missing us eh.
Correct though isn't it "you don't live here"

Theres people on this forum living abroad who supported Brexit. Funnily enough, ive never heard the 'you dont live here' crap when they post.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are obsessed with the going ons over here, the UK..... you can not keep away....can you. Sad or missing us eh.
Correct though isn't it "you don't live here"

I have friends and family and work and other interests in the UK. I'm also currently lumbered with an English passport . I therefore have a legitimate claim to have an interest in the UK. What's your excuse for your pant-pissed fetish with totally foreign lands?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Pretty sure it would have been mentioned already, but worth quoting again just to fully debunk the myth that German car manufacturers would be on our side in this negotiations.

'Yes, certainly we have influence' says Matthias Wissmann, president of the German Association of Automative Industry, but we are at least as interested in keeping the European Union together - in fact, that is our priority. Britons are deluded, he adds, if they are think German carmakers care only about selling 5 more cars than taking a longer term view.

In fact, it looks like the whole of German industry will be more or less United on not giving a comfortable deal to David Davies et al:

Contrary to the illusions of some in Britain, Mrs Merkel thus has her own business lobbies firmly behind her 'we have to present our interests coherently' she told the Federation of German Industry last month. Lobbies, she added, should avoid putting pressure on the negotiations for comfortable deals that jeopardise the single market's four freedoms: goods, services, capital and people. Asked whether he agreed with Mrs Merkel, the Federation's boss, had a simple answer. Yes.

All taken from this week's Economist.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have friends and family and work and other interests in the UK. I'm also currently lumbered with an English passport . I therefore have a legitimate claim to have an interest in the UK. What's your excuse for your pant-pissed fetish with totally foreign lands?

A British passport is not something you are lumbered with.
cant wait for the day you get told the reality you cant have dual citizenship....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A British passport is not something you are lumbered with.
cant wait for the day you get told the reality you cant have dual citizenship....

It will be once the UK is out of the EU. Care to tell me why it will be more useful, than say, an Irish passport? An Irish passport will grant you a lot more freedom than a U.K. one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here