Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Why would they stay if they don't have lectures?

I only know about the Uni my daughter is at, but they have their Christmas ball on Dec 12, so most will stay for that, before the end of term the next day.
Winchester University (in a Lib Dem target seat) have automatically registered all students in halls with a vote in Winchester. My daughter is also registered at home in Horsham, so she has the choice to vote in either constituency (if she registers for a postal vote).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1189204527024693248[/TWEET]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was stated as fact in The Guardian - so, yeah, I should have checked it a bit more to be fair :lol:

school boy error, you should know better.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Wow, you take a post all the way in July

“I only don’t bother mentioning a further extension because currently the likelihood of another extension to negotiations beyond oct 31,is as we stand about zero to zilch.(things might change in the future)”

used under a completely different context in that conversation, before there was a renegotiation of the withdrawal treaty and a new deal to consider, before the prorogation issue, before the Surrender Act, before the Letwin amendment and at a time (July) when the general consensus was an extension was the last thing on the agenda, and you have applied it to the now. How truly special of you. The “ (things might change in the future).” at the end of my post must have been incredibly challenging to understand. In fact so challenging you decided to deliberately remove it in your quoted post.

Oops :facepalm:

Taking your words out of context and removing a significant caveat then .... zero integrity and zero honesty, why am I not surprised.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Taking your words out of context and removing a significant caveat then .... zero integrity and zero honesty, why am I not surprised.

And having backed Johnson's North Sea Border 'deal', how would you put these within the context of protecting the Unionist community and the integrity of the UK

NO SURRENDER obvs (self-determination/democratic will of the majority in NI). The Unionist community has only one major concern re being shafted and that's from 'principled' politicians who have spent much of their career supporting a United Ireland while cosying up to Republican terrorists.

Rubbish. The UK government is protecting the integrity of the UK (as they should) and following the wishes of the UK electorate (leave/take back control). The Irish government temporarily backed by the EU Commission are the problem.

What it must be to have principles :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And having backed Johnson's North Sea Border 'deal', how would you put these within the context of protecting the Unionist community and the integrity of the UK

What it must be to have principles :facepalm:

The UK legally leaves as one customs territory and a majority of Uk citizens via their political representatives in NI can change the deal if they don't like it See self-determination/democratic will of the majority in NI. But this has nothing to do with doctoring/deliberately misrepresenting posts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Which reminds me, I owe probably owe an apology to [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION].

The reason I have been repeatedly asking you both about your 'good deal' again and again over the last few months is that I thought that the deal you were looking for was based on your principles of not having Britain operating under EU regulations and laws and not splitting Britain to have allow some parts to be regulated by the EU and others not. Not to mention the protection of the Union. (I may have come to that conclusion because of the posts you made that said that, but water under the bridge now). And I have never been able to see how that would work.

So this came as a bit of a surprise.

Personally, now, more than happy to throw NI 'under the bus' as some say - they voted remain and they have always been happy with different laws to the rest of the UK anyway.

But I see that now, because they have voted differently to you on Brexit, and Johnson can't actually put together this mythical deal that upholds those principles, it stands to reason that they no longer apply :shrug:

You see, if the two of you [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] had explained at the beginning that the 'good deal' wasn't based on the principles you kept espousing at all and was simply whatever Johnson managed to get then I wouldn't have kept asking.

Anyway, now that's clear we can probably let this go now :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The UK legally leaves as one customs territory and a majority of Uk citizens via their political representatives in NI can change the deal if they don't like it See self-determination/democratic will of the majority in NI. But this has nothing to do with doctoring/deliberately misrepresenting posts.

Johnson, Leader of the Conservative and Unionist party, has dumped responsibility on Stormont to introduce a hard border, if that's what you mean ???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I only know about the Uni my daughter is at, but they have their Christmas ball on Dec 12, so most will stay for that

There are two Xmas events planned for Students in Brighton. One is on the 1st of Dec and the next, the 2nd Dec. The major reason being is that in this City, they go home early. Might not be the same in other places.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[QUOTE=Mouldy Boots;9119870]Your obsession with me Harry is becoming more and more unstable.

Don't worry Mouldy, it's just fantasy you're having.
Your infantile approach to politics is fascinating though; the sheer shallowness of your thought processes is stunning.

Thanks for that. Very . . . . ironic, if you think about it. :lolol:

Although, à propos of nothing, the last person to 'share' a post from someone I had on ignore was [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION]......???

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, more than happy to accept that quote - well searched. Personally, now, more than happy to throw NI 'under the bus' as some say - they voted remain and they have always been happy with different laws to the rest of the UK anyway. Yet now they moan about having different 'laws'. As for the second part - Johnson's deal covers that.

Really?

I'm not a fan of the sectarian state, but it is part of our nation, and it would be quite unprecedented to deny them the same rights as ourselves, even if we have allowed them in the past to retain peculiar (including homophobic) local laws of their own (now largely revoked).

We sent troops into Ulster initially to protect the Catholics from sectarian Proddies, but it ended up being to stop the sectarian Catholics ripping the place apart. No surrender to the IRA and all that. Cutting them adrift is a recipe for Troubles and possibly a united Ireland. If Thatcher were alive today she'd turn in her grave. I wonder what members (and one notable ex-member) of this board who served in the forces in Ulster think about this?

Throwing part of our nation to the wolves is intolerable and unprecedented. If that's my view, how it looks to genuine Conservative and Unionists.....well.....

Is Brexit worth any price? Is there no constitutional arrangement that you are not prepared to rip up in the name of....more 'freedom' - for the English?

:nono:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Which reminds me, I owe probably owe an apology to [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION].

The reason I have been repeatedly asking you both about your 'good deal' again and again over the last few months is that I thought that the deal you were looking for was based on your principles of not having Britain operating under EU regulations and laws and not splitting Britain to have allow some parts to be regulated by the EU and others not. Not to mention the protection of the Union. (I may have come to that conclusion because of the posts you made that said that, but water under the bridge now). And I have never been able to see how that would work.

So this came as a bit of a surprise.

But I see that now, because they have voted differently to you on Brexit, and Johnson can't actually put together this mythical deal that upholds those principles, it stands to reason that they no longer apply :shrug:

You see, if the two of you [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] had explained at the beginning that the 'good deal' wasn't based on the principles you kept espousing at all and was simply whatever Johnson managed to get then I wouldn't have kept asking.

Anyway, now that's clear we can probably let this go now :thumbsup:

We haven't been espousing the same principles and my position now is entirely consistent with what I have said before, pretending otherwise is just more misrepresentation on your part. Britain/The UK won't be operating under EU laws and regulations once we have fully left and will operate as a single customs territory, the differences that only apply in NI can be changed by the democratic majority in NI if they so wish.

Now that's clear perhaps you can turn over a new leaf and stop misrepresenting doctoring other peoples opinions/posts :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We haven't been espousing the same principles and my position now is entirely consistent with what I have said before, pretending otherwise is just more misrepresentation on your part. Britain/The UK won't be operating under EU laws and regulations once we have fully left and will operate as a single customs territory, the differences that only apply in NI can be changed by the democratic majority in NI if they so wish.

Now that's clear perhaps you can turn over a new leaf and stop misrepresenting doctoring other peoples opinions/posts :thumbsup:

Do you want to point out where I 'doctored or misinterpreted' your posts. Here they are again in all their glory

NO SURRENDER obvs (self-determination/democratic will of the majority in NI). The Unionist community has only one major concern re being shafted and that's from 'principled' politicians who have spent much of their career supporting a United Ireland while cosying up to Republican terrorists.

Rubbish. The UK government is protecting the integrity of the UK (as they should) and following the wishes of the UK electorate (leave/take back control). The Irish government temporarily backed by the EU Commission are the problem.

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

And although my friend does have incredible powers of foresight, I don't think even she could 'doctor' someone's opinion :facepalm:

I'll repeat what I told you yesterday. If you don't want me to quote you saying stupid things there is a simple way to stop it happening.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Do you want to point out where I 'doctored or misinterpreted' your posts. Here they are again in all their glory

View attachment 116689

And although my friend does have incredible powers of foresight, I don't think even she could 'doctor' someone's opinion :facepalm:

I'll repeat what I told you yesterday. If you don't want me to quote you saying stupid things there is a simple way to stop it happening.

I've already done it .... *sigh*, thick as mince. :facepalm: You lecturing others about saying stupid things is like Zaha telling people they shouldn't dive :lolol:

hqdefault.jpg

Looking forward to the General Election predictions .... The Tories might win or Labour or a hung parliament .... spooky :bowdown:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
seems the argument over date of 9th or 12th is simply a spoiling tactic. setting the date of 9th means reducing parliament days, some wrap up business couldnt be done. so Liberals/SNP pick that date to look like they would have supported election if only the government would change the date. clever.
its not to do with students, most uni's break up the following week.

on other hand government want those extra days to pass the current withdrawal bill, which seems hopeful?

Whilst the Universities will have a date when they wrap up, but the students start leaving for home earlier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whilst the Universities will have a date when they wrap up, but the students start leaving for home earlier.

amazing all these universities have students paying thousands, willing to up stumps before the end of the last week. may be you're right.

end of the day, electoral regulations are there needs to be 25 days between dissolving and the election, so 9th is the earliest day (from end of this week) and 12th would be the traditional Thursday for polling.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not according to the politics correspondent on 5Live this morning, who said he'd been through lots of university term dates this morning and December 12th was term time for most of them.

I can't be arsed to check any more than Sussex and Brighton, but both are sill open on the 12th.

Not sure who made up this "All the students will have ****ed off by December 12th" urban myth, but it seems to have been spread by a lot of people who can't be bothered to actually check.

My two have both finished Uni now, but they didn't leave on the last day, they left when the cheapest ticket was available and as soon after they had turned in the last piece of work they needed to. All lectures on line so even if there was one in the last week they could see it.

Jan 30, 2008

View attachment 116689

FFS ,does she come in the form of a blow up Doll
regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here