Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Isnt it a shame that the 34m people who voted in the referendum werent as clued up as a few on here. Perhaps we should scrap all voting and rely on the experts of NSC.to give the answers.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Isnt it a shame that the 34m people who voted in the referendum werent as clued up as a few on here. Perhaps we should scrap all voting and rely on the experts of NSC.to give the answers.

Think you’ll find Labour, the Libs, SNP, Green, etc plus some of the grandees of the Tory Party all want to either revoke or go back to the country. It’s not just a NSC thing

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not sure what your point is. It's clear that EVERYONE now has more information about what leaving the EU REALLY means, compared with the information at their disposal back in 2016, including posters on NSC. And that goes for the politicians, too. That's just obvious, isn't it? :shrug:

Your 'everyone is an expert' self-depreciation act is pretty tiresome, to be honest.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How about putting forward a bill that fulfils none of the promises made by the Leave campaign? Is that an affront to democracy? Because that's what is happening at the moment.
Yes, I haven't seen confirmation of the 'European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border' and that 'we will be part of it', as Vote Leave mentioned in their main literature.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wont be the end of the story but it should be and would have been had the remainer MPs and the biased Speaker agreed to accept that they lost and accept the result. Unfortunately none of them did and that has caused this mess.

I know you like an argument on NSC for fun, but even you don't believe this.
Boris Johnson & Rees-Mogg voted against Theresa May's deal at least twice. They are not Remainers.

Your area of Mid Sussex voted Remain, but Nicholas Soames voted for the Brexit bill every time, do you are posting gibberish for the sake of it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I can only vote based on what I hear or read and I think that goes for most of the voting public as we are not all experts in these matters.

That depends on how you informed yourself in 2016, as well as before and afterwards. I'll give you an example from the other side of the world where I used to live:

There's a general election in Botswana tomorrow. For the first time since independence in 1966, the ruling Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) may actually lose power to the Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) helped by the former President attempting to put the knife in on his successor by campaigning for the Botswana Patriotic Front (BPF) and split the traditional BDP vote through tribal allegiance to him. Whatever happens it'll be a close run thing.

If all you read though is 'The Daily News', a free newspaper produced by the Government, all you watch is Botswana Televison News, a free to air TV channel run the Government, or all you listen to is Radio Botswana, also controlled by the Government, there's a fair chance you'll vote BDP because according to those mediums they control, The BDP Government is brilliant, everything is fine and always has been since independence.

A bit like here with the right wing press and it's views on The EU and the Tories.

(You'll also be bound to vote BDP tomorrow in Botswana if you're of a certain age and aren't too keen on the modern world and would like things to go back to how they used to be in the good old days - when people got thrown in jail for being gay in Botswana, a daughter couldn't inherit property off her Father, a wife needed her husbands signature to open a bank account etc - it's all political correctness gone mad now.)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure what your point is. It's clear that EVERYONE now has more information about what leaving the EU REALLY means, compared with the information at their disposal back in 2016, including posters on NSC. And that goes for the politicians, too. That's just obvious, isn't it? :shrug:

Your 'everyone is an expert' self-depreciation act is pretty tiresome, to be honest.

It’s a weak argument considering one only has to have a glance at say, FullFact to get an independent rundown of the plain facts. It dispels myths from both “sides” on many matters.

Jan 30, 2008
Only because I have given up trying to have a meaningful conversation with leave thickos and you are the worse of the lot and totally hypocritical.
Leavers who keep saying best of 3 need to grow up it's not kids football in the playground it's just another democratic vote after all the lies.
Government threatening to pull the whole Brexit Bill.
On our way
Back down the sewer for you
No offence intended
Regards
RC

WTF:shrug:
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So have I got this right? I give you a 110-page Withdrawal Agreement with 300+ pages of supporting text and no Economic Impact Assessment, and if you won't wave it through inside a few days then we're pulling the Bill and having a General Election?

All this on the back of illegally proroguing Parliament and then writing 2 letters to the EU.

I haven't seen such naivety since the days of the primary school playground. Exactly who is advising Boris? Tucker Jenkins, Pogo Patterson and Gripper Stebson??

Yes this is what we have become.

Still this is what taking back control means, for Brexiters now its convenient but it sets a terrible precedent if MP's go along with this. How will the executive abuse power in future?

From Rory Stewart in parliament, "This was an exercise in regaining the sovereignty of parliament. And if it's about regaining the sovereignty of parliament, then treat parliament with respect. If you are taking back control, then show that you are worthy to exercise that control."!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
She rang the James O'Brien show, called him Nick three times, although he was polite enough to only correct her once, and couldn't answer his question, but was determined it was good.
She then got huffy when he asked her how she knew it was a good deal, when she hadn't read it, and then played the victim when he insisted on an answer.

Was her name Dianne from Hackney North & Stoke Newington by chance?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She rang the James O'Brien show, called him Nick three times, although he was polite enough to only correct her once, and couldn't answer his question, but was determined it was good.
She then got huffy when he asked her how she knew it was a good deal, when she hadn't read it, and then played the victim when he insisted on an answer.

Glad you heard that too, I was incredulous listening along, I think he was stunned by her ability to witter on about how good the deal was going to be for the UK despite not being able to actually name ANY benefit , and yes, hilarious that she called him Nick repeatedly.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Unfortunately, unlike many on here who profess to be knowledgeable and superior, I can only vote based on what I hear or read and I think that goes for most of the voting public as we are not all experts in these matters.

We all have access to exactly the same information and make the same choice whether to evaluate the reliability of what we read and hear or whether to accept it without question. To question it is our most basic responsibility as voting citizens.

There is nothing knowledgeable or superior in choosing factual evidence and objective truth and experts with many years more expertise than ourselves, and rejecting the opinions of people who can provide no evidence or expertise like Gove, Rees-Mogg and Farage, or proven relentless liars like Johnson, and people who will make a lot of money out of what they're doing and can't (and don't) deny everyone else will suffer.

What's knowledgeable and superior about that? Surely it's just commonsense?

In years to come, when Brexit has happened, because I think it will, people will question how Brexit was ever seen as patriotic and many Leavers will be embarrassed to admit they were so conned. Now just a small fraction of the Government's own impact assessment is available for us all to read people will also question why some Leavers stood by their 2016 vote despite all the evidence being available they were destroying British jobs, industry, quality of life, education and 101 other things by doing so. Again, nothing superior about that, it's commonsense not to choose to destroy your country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here