Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If given a GE, which is what he wants, he will come back with a very large majority.

You hope that is what he will achieve but as others have stated, he called for a general election merely so he can set the date beyond 31st October and leave without a deal. You do understand that is why he offered the election in the first place? If he stood by what he said about Brown then he would have called an election as soon as he was voted in by the tory membership back in July.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One of the things that worries me is that Brexit is allowing certain things to happen that should be under much more scrutiny.

It put’s one in mind of the the Orwellian dystopian set out in 1984. There is a constant war on which means that the people’s attention is turned to nationalism and popularism rather than questioning the government. We never find out if the war is real or not or if it’s just a tool for distraction.

The USA has gone from having the first black president to having a leader who can get away with being openly racist.

Our ‘Trump Light’ version of the American monster could take his place in any Orwell novel, whether it be the torturers of Winston or the fat pigs in Animal Farm making every decision for their own needs and using lies or double speak to get their own way. The arrogant self serving slime-ball will ride out any sexual harassment or misuse of public money claims because the bonfire of hatred has already been lit and people only care about Brexit now.

The sooner Boris is banished from office, the better. What an insult to our Country and democracy this nasty nasty **** is.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think I can recall anyone ever saying it was only white people that voted Leave. I'm certain there are plenty of thick people of colour.

Daft Racist?

Sounded like a well educated reasoned gentleman. Impartially informed, probably a Guardian reader. :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You hope that is what he will achieve but as others have stated, he called for a general election merely so he can set the date beyond 31st October and leave without a deal. You do understand that is why he offered the election in the first place? If he stood by what he said about Brown then he would have called an election as soon as he was voted in by the tory membership back in July.

we should remember this course of action only followed plan a failing, after he's lost his slim majority and the prorogue gambit was stopped. its not some great peice of strategy.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think many Leavers didn't actually exercise their brains when making the choice in the Referendum, be honest with yourself. You probably still believe a load of bollocks about the EU, because you can't be arsed to check.

You wonder why remainers think they are smarter than leavers when you continue to offer up this constant flow of drivel.
But you are far from alone.
I mean, come on,you are bringing up an eccentric single person who does no harm.
Even you could surely do a bit better than that.

Still going around in circles with you two, I am clueless :bla::bla::bla:

Give it a few years and you might just say, the Uk has never been so good, how exciting.

To be fair mouldy, that is a gross exaggeration.

Whilst the view of “ Getting our country back” was certainly a strong message and to people who didn’t actually know what it meant, be they leaver or remainer, it was presented as taking our country back to “ when it was great” again. No one really knows when that actually was because if we are suggesting that it was before getting into to common market, that would have been the 50’s and 60’s. Well history shows us that the 50’s was racked with rationing and rebuilding the country with the help of billions of $ from america which had to be paid back, so that leaves the 60’s, the time of Vietnam and student uprisings all over the world and the dismantling of out colonial past....so it’s not really that then. The 40’s were war years and all that misery and the 20’s and 30’s years of stock market crashes, huge unemployment and extreme poverty

So are we talking about the Victorian era when we had a huge empire that serviced this country...is that what people want now? Well that is long gone.

I don’t think the majority of leavers are thick, far from it. Do I think that they took a decision based on things on the side of busses, billboards of 1 million Turks about to come to our country, too many Eastern European’s taking “ our” jobs....very possibly. Do I think that a lot of the “ establishment” saw it as a way of making a killing in the financial markets like Rees Mogg, then again Yes that is plausible. There is no doubt that certain “ facts” were not available, especially the nOrther Ireland border as an example and the fact that the UK could have chosen not to implement some of the dictats like free movement and border controls, but we chose to follow the EU rules in their entirety. France and Germany didn’t.

I also think that the nightly feed of “ migrants and refugees” heading through Europe did have an effect on people who maybe had thought that “ we were full” and couldn’t take anymore...and of course there was the nightly stories of lorries being attacked and migrants jumping on them.

It is not as simple as people being thick, it is more about clever manipulation of what people see on their TVs and hear on the radio. Certainly and no one can really dispute that certain parts of this country had a disproportionate amount of migration...certainly parts of the east of England like Peterborough and Lincoln felt they had become over run with Eastern Europeans, unless of course the people they interviewed were all plants and that was fake news!

So I don’t think you are thick, you just have a different point of view to me and a lot of people who think that leaving the EU may do more harm than good. But of course only time will tell.

I did do a huge post to reply to your post, but NSC logged me out, and I lost the lot and nearly the plot!!

So, in a nutshell, I respect that you have not joined in with these other screaming loonies.
I appreciate your point of views, I am not led by the media, and I have my own opinions, and I believe the future will be bright if we leave on October 31st and if we don't, this country will never reunite again, well certainly not in my lifetime.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
One of the things that worries me is that Brexit is allowing certain things to happen that should be under much more scrutiny.

It put’s one in mind of the the Orwellian dystopian set out in 1984. There is a constant war on which means that the people’s attention is turned to nationalism and popularism rather than questioning the government. We never find out if the war is real or not or if it’s just a tool for distraction.

The USA has gone from having the first black president to having a leader who can get away with being openly racist.

Our ‘Trump Light’ version of the American monster could take his place in any Orwell novel, whether it be the torturers of Winston or the fat pigs in Animal Farm making every decision for their own needs and using lies or double speak to get their own way. The arrogant self serving slime-ball will ride out any sexual harassment or misuse of public money claims because the bonfire of hatred has already been lit and people only care about Brexit now.

The sooner Boris is banished from office, the better. What an insult to our Country and democracy this nasty nasty **** is.

I've rarely dipped my toe in this thread, for obvious reasons, but completely agree here, I've been making Orwellian comparisons for a few years now. And not for fun. It's the brainwashed tabloid readers I'm trying to feel sorry for, but I'm struggling to be honest. The country is more divided than ever and even mild mannered mellow people are aggravated by it.

Particularly as I run a now nigh on dead International niche business. :censored:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Still going around in circles with you two, I am clueless :bla::bla::bla:

Give it a few years and you might just say, the Uk has never been so good, how exciting.

I did do a huge post to reply to your post, but NSC logged me out, and I lost the lot and nearly the plot!!

So, in a nutshell, I respect that you have not joined in with these other screaming loonies.
I appreciate your point of views, I am not led by the media, and I have my own opinions, and I believe the future will be bright if we leave on October 31st and if we don't, this country will never reunite again, well certainly not in my lifetime.

Thank you. Just as a matter of interest, I think this country will never reunite again ever. I think the genie is out of the bottle and this country is now broken. Extremists on both sides now claim the moral high ground and we have the spectre of northern Irish terrorism rearing it’s head again. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Unlike Corbyn he has Britain in his heart and everything he does is to promote that.

For years and years I've looked at this board and felt sorry for Bens Grandad, so often attacked from all sides for something he writes. Even after the post above I still feel a bit sorry for him but not as much as I feel sorry for my country, facing an election where a million Bens Grandads may well swing it, each one oblivious or careless of the economic, social and reputational damage that has already been done and happy to put their cross in favour of a flaky liar armed with a tabloid message commanding all true Englishmen to rise up against the foreign foes, the lickspittle traitors and the smug elite.

It's comic book politics and much of the world is laughing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jus' sayin'

From They Work For You site:

How Jacob Rees-Mogg voted on Welfare and Benefits #

Consistently voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax")
17 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2012–2018

Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013

Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
0 votes for, 14 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016

Consistently voted for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support
4 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2012

Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
52 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2012–2016

Consistently voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed
0 votes for, 9 votes against, between 2011–2014

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes?policy=welfare

The fool fairy is proof positive that some turkeys would vote for Christmas :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here