Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My prediction FWIW:

The WA will pass today, as self-interest on the part of duplicitous far-right Tories, and corruption and bribery on the part of the DUP, edge it over the line. May will bow out, feted as a martyr by the press despite all her abject failures.

BigGully, 2Profs, JCFC, and most especially Bakerlite will be all over it celebrating 'WINNING' a toothless net-loss Brexit that they've all denounced repeatedly as the worst of all outcomes.

I don't think it will pass, but we'll know one way or another in a little over 5 hours time.

If it does, it's an absolute given on the celebrations - and why not? It'll be the exact Brexit that they all voted for 3 years ago.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit like clinging onto the cliff edge at Birling Gap. Will someone be able to pull us back up and from the brink, will we lose our grip or will the cliff face just crumble under us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Banksy says it all.

Banksy.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think it will pass, but we'll know one way or another in a little over 5 hours time.

If it does, it's an absolute given on the celebrations - and why not? It'll be the exact Brexit that they all voted for 3 years ago.

One thing that strikes me, is how unnecessary it is for schemers like Boris Johnson, to support the deal, in order to remove May from their career paths. Surely if they once again vote down her deal, she will be dumped anyway?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We'll be able to put that cursed referendum behind us, and not have to look over our shoulders at the will of 17.4 million people in 2016 any longer.

Vladimir won't be happy that his *no deal* plan has been avoided ( for now !! ).

So, yes, a few things could be celebrated, I suppose.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
One thing that strikes me, is how unnecessary it is for schemers like Boris Johnson, to support the deal, in order to remove May from their career paths. Surely if they once again vote down her deal, she will be dumped anyway?

If it's voted down again she's got to ask for a long extension to allow a leadership contest and everything else that will follow today and who knows where all that might ultimately lead. If there was a snap election in May for example (and I read May 23rd is being talked about as date for that and The European Elections) she'd be the one leading the Tories into it.

Vote for her deal, Brexit happens, the transition kicks in, everyone draws breath and she's on her way and a summer leadership contest follows.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Guess things changing by the hour but last night Andrew "I can have an Irish passport" Bridgen said 15-20 Tories would not vote for the deal under any circumstances. The DUP are the key, they vote and a more Labour MP's might follow.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
If it's voted down again she's got to ask for a long extension to allow a leadership contest and everything else that will follow today and who knows where all that might ultimately lead. If there was a snap election in May for example (and I read May 23rd is being talked about as date for that and The European Elections) she'd be the one leading the Tories into it.

Vote for her deal, Brexit happens, the transition kicks in, everyone draws breath and she's on her way and a summer leadership contest follows.

Yeah this is my understanding too - vote for the deal, she goes, the leadership contest happens and the new leader ditches or completely ****s the deal regardless of what they voted for. Lies upon lies upon lies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still the same point are we saying we cannot survive out of the EU ? . Is the EU good for Europe ? what about that thing known as the PIGS ,Portugal Italy ,etc that has gone quiet thank goodness. Any way with UK split in the middle over BREXIT 2/3rd Remain MP`s wanting an almost still in the EU or not at all its not looking good for BREXIT, Its been a big betrayal ,put them in the Tower !

The thing known as the PIGS was a euro problem. It only affected countries in the euro currency.
Britain lent Portugal money to help with their economy, which has been paid back in full.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Guess things changing by the hour but last night Andrew "I can have an Irish passport" Bridgen said 15-20 Tories would not vote for the deal under any circumstances. The DUP are the key, they vote and a more Labour MP's might follow.

I saw Mark Francois being interviewed yesterday and asked how many will vote against the WA, his response was - 'More than enough.'

The DUP are different beasts to the English, Tory Brexiteers - they've got principles.

[tweet]1111010271395565568[/tweet]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I think you are doing the impossible: trying to understand and decode the internal goings-on in the tribe known as Tories. This would be the job of an anthropologist. They march to the beat of a different drum ………………..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lawyers, both in Britain and in the EU, are saying you cannot separate the Withdrawal Agreement from the Political Declaration, and the vote today will have no legality.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1111319086049443841

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1111565841802452993

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Theresa May tells Tory MPs she will stand down once Brexit deal is delivered, that's like the captain of the Titanic asking to be relieved of his duties after hitting the iceberg..:facepalm:
That's exactly what Cameron did

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lawyers, both in Britain and in the EU, are saying you cannot separate the Withdrawal Agreement from the Political Declaration, and the vote today will have no legality,

You mean after 3 years of inactivity a policy of:-

MAKE IT UP AS YOU GO ALONG.

just doesn't cut it, in international law.

Who'da thunk it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Lawyers, both in Britain and in the EU, are saying you cannot separate the Withdrawal Agreement from the Political Declaration, and the vote today will have no legality.

The last roll of the dice from a bunch of dumb wits, outmanoeuvred from start to wherever we are now by the EU. Won’t get through today and we line up for a long extension

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

If it goes the Government's way as I understood it The PD has still got to be passed in the Withdrawal Act Bill for today to have any bearing. I can't see it winning today though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here