Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But she's going to go fairly soon anyway.

Sure, but most MPs are not arch Brexiteers, so they should be rejecting the deal. Maybe a few MPs that weren't supporting it, now will, but a few who were, now won't.

You've forgotten they are voting for

1) Party First
2) Country Second

The deal itself isn't a soft Brexit is it ? It's just the insurance policy if all goes wrong. With no deal gone and the option of a very soft Brexit, they've forgotten their concerns for Unionists.

Remember Party First.

Originally it was the whole of the UK in the backstop EU didn't like that because basically UK had the benefits of the EU, without paying in. So they threw just Northern Island in.

:lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You've forgotten they are voting for

1) Party First
2) Country Second

The deal itself isn't a soft Brexit is it ? It's just the insurance policy if all goes wrong. With no deal gone and the option of a very soft Brexit, they've forgotten their concerns for Unionists.

Remember Party First.

Originally it was the whole of the UK in the backstop EU didn't like that because basically UK had the benefits of the EU, without paying in. So they threw just Northern Island in.

:lolol:
But that's the Tories, and there aren't enough Tories to get the vote through. Why would any other MPs back it?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
My god that poling from UGov is amazing.

Terry May STILL polled 31% to Corbyn's 19%

While the Tories were still just ahead of Labour 36/33, but 20% said they'd vote for anyone other than them 2 or the Liberals.

Amazing?

Corbyn is far more unfit to run the Country than May. Horrible man (Corbyn, not May).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amazing?

Corbyn is far more unfit to run the Country than May. Horrible man (Corbyn, not May).
Do have a look at the percentage figures by party at the last General Election. The " Horrible Man " nearly won an election that was predicted to see the end of The Labour Party as a political force.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Amazing?

People should vote for the values and manifesto of a party, not the personality of the leader - though I recognise that many do see things in that simplistic way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1110978885229924353[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
DUP MPs spotted with Arron Banks and Andy Wigmore (with photo)

Why are Banks and Wigmore in Parliament?

[tweet]1110910577898127361[/tweet]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because they want Brexit, or their constituents voted for Brexit. And for whatever deal you want for Brexit (other than no deal), you have to have the already negotiated Withdrawal Agreement.
That's completely against the point of the votes that are taking place in parliament now. There are other options for delivering Brexit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do have a look at the percentage figures by party at the last General Election. The " Horrible Man " nearly won an election that was predicted to see the end of The Labour Party as a political force.

i dont recall predictions of the end of Labour, however i do know they were no where near winning at >60 seats shy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I fully expect a bit of a backlash internally against Boris Johnson and Rees Moog. IF the deal goes through their actions have wasted a lot of time and money.

They were always fairly peripheral figures anyway, although they do get an immense publicity from the media. With 100 MP’s supportive of them maximum. Very unlikely to the a future PM I think.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's completely against the point of the votes that are taking place in parliament now. There are other options for delivering Brexit.
Not really. That was started because they couldn't get agreement on May's deal.

Many involved tonight on the Tory side voted for it.

If you look at the numbers, it could be (very basically) Tories v Labour. DUP have pulled out.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

No it isn't. The future relationship with the EU has yet to be negotiated and is covered by the Political Declaration, which may or may not change as a result of these votes. The Withdrawal agreement, which covers the period up to when the future relationship has been negotiated and comes into effect, will not change - the EU are categorically saying that it has been closed and cannot be re-opened.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Because they have swallowed that No Deal is gone and a "cross party" Brexit will probably mean a soft Brexit.

It's "only" the Withdrawal agreement and they get a Brexiteer in charge.

The party are in a very odd place. They've basically given up on a very huge section of the electorate. Consensus is abhorrent to them.

I fully expect a bit of a backlash internally against Boris Johnson and Rees Moog. IF the deal goes through their actions have wasted a lot of time and money.

I could see some of the middle ground Tories not vote for MV3 because of what has happened today.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
i dont recall predictions of the end of Labour, however i do know they were no where near winning at >60 seats shy.
Every poll put Labour miles behind in the 3 weeks leading up to the election. It was oft stated by political commentators that Corbyn's leadership would split the party and make them unelectable.
At the time it was suggested that a vote for Labour was a wasted vote which changed many people's minds.

However Tim Laughton saw his majority crash from almost 15 k to 5k in the supposedly safe seat of Worthing East.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
People should vote for the values and manifesto of a party, not the personality of the leader - though I recognise that many do see things in that simplistic way.

That's a simplistic view in itself, because people don't vote that way and if the person in question is unfit to run the Country, it would be lunacy to vote for their party.

He's ruined the Labour Party's chances IMHO. So much wrong about him, too much to debate here, and off topic too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice to see that MP 's look like getting three chances to change their minds, a luxury not allowed to the masses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here