Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It won't be enough all the while the DUP say no.

And even with the full ERG and DUP it's touch and go I reckon. Particularly if some Tory Remainers sense their chance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mark Francois of the ERG passionately explained why he couldn't ever vote for May's Withdrawal Agreement (for it is not a Deal) - key to that is the £39 billion and the backstop. If the ERG end up voting for May's WA it will be one hell of a U-turn.

Has she not already stated that her current 'deal' will NOT be put forward again, anyway?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you really believe in something and that something is under threat you do what you can - in your own small way - to protect it, i.e. march, sign a petition or try and persuade friends and family to do either.

Leaving is under threat - it might not happen, AND YET there is a Pro-Brexit march going on the size of which could be fitted into the average village car park - why aren't there more marchers?. I know Leavers aren't obliged to do more, but the lack of visibility at this important stage does look like the genuine support for it isn't there, and that will lead to neutrals thinking it was little more than a brief moment in time, a lashing out at the Establishment.
When that march is in central London on Friday, it'll be joined by more people and also the yellow vest thugs.

Reckon it'll turn ugly. It'll be a time and place to avoid.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doubt it.
This whole 'they need us as much/more than we need them' is only true up to a point

There is a lot of concern across the EU 27 governments about the rise of nationalism, especially linked with the far right. They may not like the idea of no deal, but they have a bigger game to play - resisting this rise and ensuring the long term survival of the EU. The last thing they want is to give the impression that a form of 'cake and eat it' option is available if you just push hard enough. In my opinion, it has been the failure to understand this dynamic, or at least the refusal to acknowledge it, that has been a big part of getting us into the mess we are in.

More than that, but yes an added reason for the Union remaining united.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It won't be enough all the while the DUP say no.

Mark Francois of the ERG passionately explained why he couldn't ever vote for May's Withdrawal Agreement (for it is not a Deal) - key to that is the £39 billion and the backstop. If the ERG end up voting for May's WA it will be one hell of a U-turn.

If all/most of the ERG get on board you may get enough Labour on board to offset the DUP and Francois.

Edit: although that doesn't take into account no Brexit Tories.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Read this slowly .....other thick as mince remainers are saying we have full control over our EU borders but dont bother applying the rules.......checking up on jobseekers months after they have already crossed the border is NOT control of our borders.......

I reckon you might struggle to find someone that has actually used that or a similar qualifier.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that's you misunderstanding what "thick as mince remainers" are saying. Or maybe I'm not a "thick as mince remainer"? ???

We had the opportunity to refuse entry to newer, east European immigrants for up to 7 years. That facility is clearly stated in EU law.

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=466&langId=en

Unfortunately successive governments didn't act on it and we allowed happy shopper plumbers and decorators in from all over East Europe to undercut our local workforce. Shameful really, and the reason we're in the position we're in.

So we could easily have controlled our borders from this influx, but chose not to.

But even then we could have had better wage protection in the UK to stop the negative consequences.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your scatter gun approach of being inappropriately dismissive and rude to absolutely everyone (rather than just the simpletons) suggests that you are, and that your head is going purple with rage.

That's just how it comes across. :shrug:

Next stage on from Gammon is Beetroot.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can't recall whether it was Davis or Fox a couple of weeks ago. But they were trying to claim no deal was the most popular option among the public

View attachment 106558

However, it still remains more than a possibility and Brexiteers still seem to think the EU will blink. They won't...

I believe it is more popular in polls than Mays deal, but I reckon that most do not appreciate the potential consequences of either, and base this purely on Farage and Rees-Moggs opinions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And even with the full ERG and DUP it's touch and go I reckon. Particularly if some Tory Remainers sense their chance.

chance for what? no agreement means leaving currently, unless enough MPs vote to revoke. haven't seen anywhere that there is enough numbers to get that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think he can do another one can he? Not until a certain time period has passed.

He can, but her party cannot submit letters to the 1922 committee and expect a leadership contest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you really believe in something and that something is under threat you do what you can - in your own small way - to protect it, i.e. march, sign a petition or try and persuade friends and family to do either.

Leaving is under threat - it might not happen, AND YET there is a Pro-Brexit march going on the size of which could be fitted into the average village car park - why aren't there more marchers?. I know Leavers aren't obliged to do more, but the lack of visibility at this important stage does look like the genuine support for it isn't there, and that will lead to neutrals thinking it was little more than a brief moment in time, a lashing out at the Establishment.

its very odd that for many millions voting to leave they cant stir up as many to march for their cause as remain. i've reached an theory that vast numbers of leavers are apathetic to it all, its easy enough to vote to leave, complain about, have genuine views against and objections to the EU, but they dont actually care much either way.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I wonder how many remain youngsters will change their oponion on brexit now the EU have voted to clamp down on Memes. I expect it's going to be another added headache for the mods on here?

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

We are now seeing what a fake alliance the DUP and ERG was all along.

The DUP love the Union more than Brexit, the ERG love Brexit more than the Union.

Unfortunately Leave doesn't mean Leave however hard it is shouted.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thatcher wasn’t parliament in 2015 when they did vote overwhelmingly to give us a referendum. You could have said “ Switzerland on the other hand, are terribly keen” but you didn’t, you went with Hitler…….well played, Bravo!
No doubt you are against referendums, just as well you are not one of these hypocrites saying we should never use them but are calling for another one now…..eh?

I respect your reason for not wanting another referendum but not your retreaded accusation that it is hypocritical for a Remainer to want one. It has been dealt with many times but just for the record...

While it was wrong to hold a binary referendum on such a complex issue, its result can only be reversed by the people making their decision in exactly the same way, and to the same rules, as they did three years ago.

This is why I am against simply revoking Article 50 or conducting any new referendum to different rules (involving voting ages, for example).

PS: Um, I did appreciate that Thatcher wasn't in office in 2015. What that got to do with the point I was making? Attlee wasn't either. Nor was Hitler come to think about it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
its very odd that for many millions voting to leave they cant stir up as many to march for their cause as remain. i've reached an theory that vast numbers of leavers are apathetic to it all, its easy enough to vote to leave, complain about, have genuine views against and objections to the EU, but they dont actually care much either way.

I think you are right, most people were not desperate for the referendum to be had so they could have their chance to get out, but when asked what they wanted, found it easy to say leave.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He seems to be saying it's now May's deal or no Brexit. I've read the summary of his 'Moggcast' on the Conservative home website, but as it's 24 minutes in length and involves him speaking, there's more chance of me rolling around naked in a field full of freshly urinated on stinging nettles than actually subjecting myself to listening to it.

[tweet]1110477916775821312[/tweet]

You are missing out on a brilliant joke he cracks at 22:27, he does laugh at it himself though, you would have thought a Gentleman such as he would have known that was awfully poor form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here