Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
3 homeless people died in Hastings between Christmas and New Year too, but obviously Amber Rudd and The Government have more important Brexit things to attend to. Blue passports though. :clap2:

You think it is bad here. You need to visit Brussels whole family's living in shop doorways much worse than here. Maybe if you feel so strongly you could put some up like all those actors and crappy singers said they would and then went very quiet when they were pushed.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
You think it is bad here. You need to visit Brussels whole family's living in shop doorways much worse than here. Maybe if you feel so strongly you could put some up like all those actors and crappy singers said they would and then went very quiet when they were pushed.

J K Rowling springs to mind...

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not sure why class has become the centre of the Brexit thread, thought that was all in our past. Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle for me. Anyway, a post Brexit Britain is likely to be more class riven and divided than a EU Britain. Shame

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Don't worry it's a price worth paying!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

A very quick google of GSK shows they are one of the big winners of the vote to Leave.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline saw profits surge in the third quarter, aided by the recent fall in sterling and strong sales of its flu vaccines.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37778672

The group generates more than 95 percent of its sales outside Britain while many of its costs are in pounds, making it a big winner from sterling’s tumble.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g...as-weak-pound-provides-windfall-idUKKCN12Q1CM

GSK said it has set a new target to focus 80 per cent of its pharmaceuticals research and development resources on “priority assets”, including treatments for respiratory conditions, HIV and infectious diseases. As part of those efforts, it will cancel programmes that it believes “are unlikely to generate sufficient returns”

https://www.ft.com/content/ebe09e57-4aa9-322b-a8b1-60d35d8560b6

I didnt see anyone moan on here when GSK put its rare disease business up for sale to divert cash to more commercially attractive drugs but well done for playing the cancer card.
“It all emphasises the importance the new GSK executive team puts on stability and long-term performance, rather than high-risk and high-reward R&D,”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/08/06/gsks-hunt-profitable-drugs-may-come-cost/

I wonder, do you think the extra millions GSK have made because of the weaker sterling to add to the billions in operating profit will ease their pain over 70 million.
I guess it all depends on if there is money in it at the end of R&D,which they dont seem so keen on as a business model anymore. Playing on peoples fears always helps when you are profit driven though.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Not sure why class has become the centre of the Brexit thread, thought that was all in our past. Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle for me. Anyway, a post Brexit Britain is likely to be more class riven and divided than a EU Britain. Shame

I wholeheartedly agree that class shouldn't be an issue, but it just is, look at the demography of the areas that voted leave or remain. Also it doesn't help that the main narrative of the education system is pro EU, universities/schools shouldn't push a particular political agenda, but we all know that they do.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I wholeheartedly agree that class shouldn't be an issue, but it just is, look at the demography of the areas that voted leave or remain. Also it doesn't help that the main narrative of the education system is pro EU, universities/schools shouldn't push a particular political agenda, but we all know that they do.

You’re right, Educational institutions are probably pro EU, although they weren’t when I went to Uni. But they are also pro Labour. Difficult not to mix issues as it’s life and these bodi3s tend to attract middle class liberals who were very pro remain. London voted remain and there is probably a working class majority. I think older working class were very pro Brexit, younger working class pro remain but to a lesser extent so that would fit. I do think the working class are better off in than out but only time will tell I guess

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
You’re right, Educational institutions are probably pro EU, although they weren’t when I went to Uni. But they are also pro Labour. Difficult not to mix issues as it’s life and these bodi3s tend to attract middle class liberals who were very pro remain. London voted remain and there is probably a working class majority. I think older working class were very pro Brexit, younger working class pro remain but to a lesser extent so that would fit. I do think the working class are better off in than out but only time will tell I guess

well its nice to know that it is possible to have an intellectual conversation on here without childish name calling, have a good night sir. Clamp take note...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
well its nice to know that it is possible to have an intellectual conversation on here without childish name calling, have a good night sir. Clamp take note...

I'm better. With me you get intellectual conversation AND name calling. Now, what was it you called me? Oh that's right, ****.

I just went for a cheeseboard in the end. I didn't care for the rosemary infused biscuits so I kept to the table water but the Hungarian smoked was an absolute triumph.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That website linked by @Titanic (citing NHS digital figures) is correct though, I know its not a popular viewpoint amongst blinkered remainers but the numbers of EU nationals working in the NHS in june 2017 was indeed higher than from before the referendum.
The latest figures released a couple of weeks ago for sept 2017 also show a further slight increase in EU numbers working in the NHS.
I feel a bit silly telling you this but the figures are freely available to look at online via NHS digital, perhaps have a look yourself instead of instantly dismissing them and feel free to come back that NHS digital themselves are right wing wannabees spouting bile as well if you are still a doubter.

EU Nationals working in the NHS
April 2016--57558 = 4.94% of UK NHS workforce
June 2017--61891 = 5.22% of UK NHS workforce
Sept 2017-- 61974 = 5.19 % of UK NHS workforce

April 2016
https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB21066
June 2017
https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30075
Sept 2017
https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30165

But at the same time, more are leaving than before. The solution is that total number of persons employed in the NHS has risen, regardless of where they are from. There is an issue also of how staff numbers are counted within the NHS, with the numbers of employees in total not being the usual figure quoted, usually it is the number of full time equivalent employees quoted. All in all it is quite difficult to work out exactly what is going on, this link shows the percentage of EU nurses joining has fallen and the percentage leaving has increased http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7783

Maybe the extras in the total are all porters?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I'm better. With me you get intellectual conversation AND name calling. Now, what was it you called me? Oh that's right, ****.

I just went for a cheeseboard in the end. I didn't care for the rosemary infused biscuits so I kept to the table water but the Hungarian smoked was an absolute triumph.

that sounds positively enchanting old boy, good for you Mr Clamp.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You predicted a complete economic meltdown crash by the end of 2017(amongst many other false predictions) and are now predicting the end of the UK because of brexit.…….righto

View attachment 92619

You could just look at your browsing history from this morning, share the link and then we can see the page that shows you this video has suddenly been pulled.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a high ranking police officer saying May has blood on her hands and that the Tories are institutionally racist.
Im sure there must be copies online all over social media already, but your link will be a good start.

The European Investment Bank gives out long term investment loans, they havnt “paid” our NHS as you understand it at all.But how do you know their investment loans will cease here entirely when we leave, when you factor in that they do give out investment loans already globally to non EU countries as part of EU lending mandates on external cooperation such as Economic Cooperation loans, development loans and neighbourhood loans into non EU European countries.(eg loans for hospitals, clinics and drug manufacturing in Africa)
Did you really think they simply give out loans to EU members only?
Maybe just didn’t think at all eh?

I wonder if EIB tax payer funded loans still have a habit of disappearing and finding their way into tax havens.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/25/european-investment-bank-criticised

Got any links to Ppf racist posts?
Nah didn’t think so…..didnt this false accusation get you a ban recently?

You really are showing yourself up as a bizarre Walter Mitty oddball

I don't think Ppf will thank you for denying his racism, he clearly is, and clearly unashamed to be so.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
First,it was the NHS that got dropped due to Brexit, now there’s no time or political will for a promised fox hunting vote. This government has no time for anything but Brexit, probably spending all it’s time of industry impact analysis cough cough

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Google is your friend. Not all zero hours contracts as some would have us believe.

Plenty of vacancies still .. of course at the low skilled end of the job market the competition is fierce as we have the 'benefit' of mass eastern European immigration which one might think could also effect the availability of cheap rentable housing. Also coincidentally over a third of rough sleepers in London are from central /Eastern Europe.To be clear I'm not blaming everything on immigrants who in most cases I admire for their drive and ambition but the sheer weight of numbers has an inevitable effect on limited resources.

Not wishing to spill my life story online or attempt any virtue signalling poverty-stricken, poor old me route so favoured by some ... but I will say I have had some past experience in this area.

I know they're not all zero hour contracts and I don't need to Google it - 4 years ago when I last claimed JSA, I can't recall seeing one zero hours contract job amongst all the endless, unfilled minimum wage/low paid jobs on offer. Identical story now apparently, as a mate of mine's girlfriend was out of work during the autumn for a time and had the joys of a Job Centre Plus to attend, though the benefits sanction regime makes the whole JSP experience even worse now than when I was last there too.

Of course you're not blaming immigrants - spiralling rents and increasing numbers of private landlords switching from 'Sorry no Housing Benefits/DSS' to 'Sorry No Universal Credit' when looking for tenants can't be blamed on them.

When do you think wages will rise as unskilled immigration is curbed - anytime soon?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually. I’m deleting this as I can’t be arsed to discuss it any further.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't see how post Brexit Britain is likely to be more class driven. For years the natural progression, both legal and in terms of social mores and customs has moved steadily away from class. Think of the one time universal hierarchies that have broken down - men over women? Now sexual equality. Straights over gays? No, now both the law and social mores have moved to equal rights for homosexual people. I'm not saying either of these processes are complete, but they've moved a hell of a long way in the last 50 years - and I don't see being in or out of the EU making any difference.
The reinforcement of class through the use of titles has virtually disappeared - I can't remember the last time I was addressed as 'Mr.' by a professional or tradesperson - it's always egalitarian Christian names - sorry, first names - now. And as for Labour and Conservative - are the PLP anything like working class these days? Come to think of it, do many of the Tory MPs look like a bunch of toffs?
This breakdown of a class system is an organic process - driven by societal changes. Do you see any way that this will change after Brexit? I can't.
The wealth gap (definitely not to be confused with class), though - that is still well and truly with us. I don't think Brexit will cure it - not quickly, anyway - but neither would remaining. After all, the gap between the rich and the poor in this country has risen out of control on the EU's watch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
First,it was the NHS that got dropped due to Brexit, now there’s no time or political will for a promised fox hunting vote. This government has no time for anything but Brexit, probably spending all it’s time of industry impact analysis cough cough

Fox hunting is interesting. Millions of people voted for it to be the subject of a free vote in Parliament in 2015 (according to the NSC Brexiteers' theory that states that people support every item in the manifesto of the party they vote for) and yet the government is now abandoning the policy BEFORE IT HAS BEEN ENACTED. Smelly and undemocratic loons the lot of them!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Universities pushing pro-EU agenda? I don’t recall politics ever entering my maths degree.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Fox hunting is interesting. Millions of people voted for it to be the subject of a free vote in Parliament in 2015 (according to the NSC Brexiteers' theory that states that people support every item in the manifesto of the party they vote for) and yet the government is now abandoning the policy BEFORE IT HAS BEEN ENACTED. Smelly and undemocratic loons the lot of them!

Yes, the democratic will of the majority is being dangerously ignored with today's announcement - There'll be rioting of the streets of Chipping Camden.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not Brexiteer thinking at all. The political parties prefer to see it that way - but that's why they were all surprised by the Brexit vote; all of their manifestos were pro-EU, so whichever party 14M Brexiteers were voting for, they were not pledging their support for every aspect of the manifesto.
Oh, and who are these millions who voted for it to be a free vote in Parliament? Straightforward question - I don't recollect a referendum taking place on the subject. If, of course, it was part of one party's manifesto, it would be naive to assume that all who voted for that party were in favour of that particular element of the manifesto. It would be equally naïve to be surprised that a political party doesn't do something it said it would do on their manifesto.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here