Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
With respect to the various technological 'solutions' being mooted, I'm not really convinced that we come at this from a position of strength. Given it's the birthday of the NHS with much to be proud of, I recall something that really didn't work: huge amounts of money beg thrown at failed IT projects.
Even if somehow this way forward was agreed (with Cabinet, Parliament, EU) the roll-out issues might be problematic (understatement).

Reminds be of the other great IT plans of Government in resent years none have worked first time and in some cases never worked

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's really sad that the thick, when realising that they've been a bit thick....don't want to publicly admit that they've been a bit thick....so they carry on being thick.

Trick is...we already know how thick you are. The evidence is plain to see for everybody. So just admit that you were wrong and that you now think that Brexit is a really bad idea. Then you'd achieve a modicum of respect from your more enlightened peers that have been telling you stop being thick.

The only thickies around here are people, on either side of the debate, that resort to calling people thick because they have an opinion.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
With respect to the various technological 'solutions' being mooted, I'm not really convinced that we come at this from a position of strength. Given it's the birthday of the NHS with much to be proud of, I recall something that really didn't work: huge amounts of money beg thrown at failed IT projects.
Even if somehow this way forward was agreed (with Cabinet, Parliament, EU) the roll-out issues might be problematic (understatement).

As someone heavily involved in the NHS email project that failed many years ago I'd like to point out it didn't fail for technical reasons, it failed because of political bickering between NHS trusts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As someone heavily involved in the NHS email project that failed many years ago I'd like to point out it didn't fail for technical reasons, it failed because of political bickering between NHS trusts.

No chance of political bickering on this one then :wink:

(Any large scale project that I've been on, politics has always been a major factor. In fact, we've walked away from significant deals where we felt the political situation would be too toxic).

That's why this whole timescale is pure fantasy. That and the fact the technology doesn't exist yet :facepalm:

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
And still the leave voters try to defend the vote that saw the beginning of the end for the UK..

Downing Street sets out some details of new Brexit customs plan
1 hour ago

Downing Street has set out some detail for how customs could be handled after Brexit.

No 10 says its plan - dubbed the "facilitated customs arrangement" - offers "the best of both worlds".

The details come as Theresa May and Angela Merkel prepare to discuss the progress of Brexit negotiations when they hold talks in Berlin later.

The UK prime minister is facing calls from the EU to clarify the UK's position.

According to Number 10, the new plan would allow the UK the freedom to set its own tariffs on goods arriving into the country.

Technology would be used to determine beforehand where they will ultimately end up - and therefore whether UK or EU tariffs should be paid.

Downing Street says it's confident the arrangement would be partly in place by the end of the proposed transition period in December 2020 - with the system being fully operational by the next general election.

On regulations, it's understood that the UK would closely mirror the EU's rules - but parliament would be able to decide where to deviate.

However, the arrangement has not yet been explained in full - and it is not clear whether the cabinet will back the plan, or whether the EU would sign up to it.

A source close to Brexit Secretary David Davis refused to comment on a Daily Telegraph report that he had already told Theresa May the plan is unworkable.

Mr Davis and Mrs May are "working closely on what will be presented on Friday", the source said.

The UK is leaving the EU in March 2019, but has yet to agree how it will trade with the remaining EU members - who are part of a single market and a customs union.

In particular, a solution is needed to avoid new border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic when the UK is outside the customs union.

Eurosceptic MPs have warned Mrs May against tying the UK to the EU after it leaves, saying this will prevent it from striking its own trade deals with other countries.

After two models for customs were criticised, Downing Street has come up with a "third way" solution, to be presented to the cabinet when it gathers at Chequers on Friday.

After Friday's meeting, the government is expected to publish a White Paper setting out its plans in detail.

So that;s all nice and clear then. Sorted,

Does the plan mention the magic border pixies?
If not I can't take it seriously.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

While that certainly was the case, the two main reasons that Connecting for Health failed were a) it was driven by politicians and the people it was meant to benefit had little say in it - top down projects always struggle and b) the contractural terms were really harsh and service providers struggled the terms.

Throw in the many disparate systems across the trusts and the bickering that you spoke about and it was a recipe for disaster.

Of course, that may not happen with a customs project designed to help solve the Ireland problem. There are no political disagreements between the various parties in Northern Ireland and the the Irish Republic. No siree Bob, no disagreements at all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have to remember advertising revenue, clicks and impressions are down on the Brexit front as minds have shifted to the football. It's far too positive, so some sections of the media need to bring everyone down, because everything needs to be made shit.

It is true that bad news sells, but it is also true that Brexit just is shit, and the attempts to make it less shit, are unfortunately, shit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And as I explained earlier that's not for advisory refenda. Even if the result was voided it wouldn't void the acts passed in parliament. You're grasping at imaginary straws.

It is merely a straw, I'd agree. But it is a real straw, not an imaginary one.

The rule breaking cannot void the acts of parliament, but it could offer a government with cold feet, a politically acceptable, face-saving reason, to deviate from a course they currently feel compelled to follow.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I saw a picture of the Tory front bench wearing NHS 70 badges, the caption said it was to remind them of the 70th anniversary of when the Tories voted against it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fixed that for you.:thumbsup:

half or fully baked, what gives anyone the right to say 17million of the population are thickies on the ground they have a different view? its this sort of attitude that remain lost in the first place.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Remainers all over twatter pinning their hopes of stopping brexit on a ECJ hearing today.

“If we win this, that’s the end of Brexit because Mrs May will arrive with her negotiators and there will be no one for her to negotiate with.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...r-brexit-challenge-by-97-year-old-ww2-veteran

Do you think Brits in the EU should have had a say though, even if they have not taken part in General Elections for more than 15 years? Even 97 year old ones who will probably be dead by the time Brexit happens?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
half or fully baked, what gives anyone the right to say 17million of the population are thickies on the ground they have a different view? its this sort of attitude that remain lost in the first place.

We should not have got ourselves in a position where people were voting to leave the EU on the basis of feeling, rightly or wrongly, disregarded. Leaving the EU isn’t going to solve that issue as the two issues are unrelated; people will still have a certain attitude and others feel disregarded in or out of the EU.

Yes, the issue of people feeling disregard by others attitudes is important and needs to be addressed, but not by voting to leave the EU, it was throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And as I explained earlier that's not for advisory refenda. Even if the result was voided it wouldn't void the acts passed in parliament. You're grasping at imaginary straws.

It actually has nothing to do with whether the referendum was advisory or binding as the Venice Commission Code is a guide only, it's not legally binding. Acts of parliament are not permanent - they can be repealed.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It actually has nothing to do with whether the referendum was advisory or binding as the Venice Commission Code is a guide only, it's not legally binding. Acts of parliament are not permanent - they can be repealed.

Indeed but Thunder Bolt seems to be pinning her hopes on the referendum being declared void and the whole of Brexit being cancelled on the findings of this investigation. Unless a new bill is put before parliament, which the current government isn't going to do, then Brexit is here to stay - whatever form that may be in.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It's really sad that the thick, when realising that they've been a bit thick....don't want to publicly admit that they've been a bit thick....so they carry on being thick.

Trick is...we already know how thick you are. The evidence is plain to see for everybody. So just admit that you were wrong and that you now think that Brexit is a really bad idea. Then you'd achieve a modicum of respect from your more enlightened peers that have been telling you stop being thick.

You really are a mentalist aren't you?Saw this lovely picture that sums you up perfectly.

mental lentil.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here