Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This international break: England v ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's WELL cool not knowing who England are playing innit.

Not really, no. And I wasn't starting this thread in the "Kim Kardashian? Never heard of her. Who is she? Should I know who she is?" faux kool kid kinda way.

I just didn't know. And I wondered how typical that was. Sorry if that offends.

As it is, I always watch England when we play, and will go out of my way to do so. Hopefully, that redeems things a bit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not really, no. And I wasn't starting this thread in the "Kim Kardashian? Never heard of her. Who is she? Should I know who she is?" faux kool kid kinda way.

I just didn't know. And I wondered how typical that was. Sorry if that offends.

As it is, I always watch England when we play, and will go out of my way to do so. Hopefully, that redeems things a bit.

I was only jesting, it's a fair shout.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was only jesting, it's a fair shout.

I won't pretend, though, that my footballing interests are about 95% Albion, 5% everthing else. I'm not sure I've even seen MotD2 this season yet, and previously that was my way of quickly digesting the Premier League.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
To be honest I had no idea. I simply am not bothered anymore, by international football in general and to a lesser extent the England team in particular. It's a football free weekend for me. I wish I cared more but I cannot manufacture fake enthusiasm for a tournment which has been ruined by FIFA.

Will try and make some time for some college football this weekend for the first time in a while.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Because it's Scotland.

At least Scottish supporters care about how their team performs.

I'm pretty sure every England supporter cares how they perform. I certainly do. If you are only interested in following the national side when it suits you i.e. when they are doing well then you aren't really much of a supporter are you. I get that being an England fan is the Coldplay of football and it's "cool" to say they are rubbish at the moment but to say England fans don't care when a game against the footballing might of Malta has sold out (ditto Ljubljana on Tuesday) post Iceland at the euros and then post Big Sam stitch up kinda suggests you are talking bollocks.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Malta Saturday, I only know because I had an email advising me that there were 'limited tickets still available'.
I'll watch it if I'm in.

Edit:
Though the missus may get first dibs if it clashes with Strictly.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I have a season ticket yet I literally have no idea who Brighton have next.....or the game after that.....or the game after that.

I do know who England have though.....because I watch the news.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because it's Scotland.
It amazes me that people actually care how Scotland are doing. They have a tenth of our population. It's a sad state of affairs that we should choose to measure our success (surely part of a true rivalry) against these minnows.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It amazes me that people actually care how Scotland are doing. They have a tenth of our population. It's a sad state of affairs that we should choose to measure our success (surely part of a true rivalry) against these minnows.

Do you think Watford don't care about Luton any more because they are lightyears apart in footballing terms at the moment?

I wasn't many moons ago we had a "rivalry" with Leyton Orient who have a tenth of our supporter base. Was that sad as well......actually yes it was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
By the way [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION], what does "slightly unique" mean? Makes as much sense as being "half pregnant". :lolol:

:lolol: fair cop.

I think I meant that we may not be the ONLY country who plays all its games in a national stadium, but I don't know for SURE. Hence we might be SLIGHTLY unique. But yes, its piss-poor syntax, I can't deny.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do you think Watford don't care about Luton any more because they are lightyears apart in footballing terms at the moment?

I wasn't many moons ago we had a "rivalry" with Leyton Orient who have a tenth of our supporter base. Was that sad as well......actually yes it was.
So you agree with me then. :)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Alternatively, we are always toilet when it matters. Honestly, I couldn't give a toss about the national side in these qualifiers any more. We tend to do alright in them, which suggests to me that they are little more than a procession and pointless. When we get to the tournaments, I do take an interest, but for me the passion is nothing like what it was 15 years ago and before that. We are never going to be competitive until the FA get the basics right and paying the highest manager salary in the world is never ever going to be the solution. In fact it is a feeble policy and a total waste of money and I'm quite sick of it.

By the way [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION], what does "slightly unique" mean? Makes as much sense as being "half pregnant". :lolol:

I think most peoples England 'Pashun' Is not what it was. We haven't won a knock out game since 2006 after all - a teeth puling 1-0 win over the mighty Ecuador. My England mojo is at an all time low but it's nothing that won't be restored by a Semi final in the major tournament.

England have been dire in tournaments since 2006. I don't, however, subscribe to the narrative that it is because the players are rubbish or some of the other reasons that get touted round. Take Brighton for example. We have a state of the art training ground and an investment in a youth academy that is eye watering for a 2nd tier club. If It helped performance, I'm sure there would be a meeting to consider letting a player ringing a bell for a cheeky hand job because some sports scientists had found out that players play 3% better with less testosterone in their system. Point being, if anyone is half decent, they will get found, trained, invested in and given every chance to get better. Investment in youth has never been higher albeit I'd agree that only Southampton have produced a consistent crop of young players and no-one has come close to hitting Barcelona heights. The players have been there at times as well. I think 8 of the 11 who started Euro 2004 won the Champions league at some point in their career. A bang average Greece team won it.

So, the Investment is there. The players are sometimes there, at least for a trip to the odd semi final or final. The bits that a missing? A way of playing that doesn't change with the wind or a 'national identity' (Roy played 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, no-one really knew in the end what we were playing), reliance on players whose careers are over and a reluctance to drop these players (Rooney is the current star of that show but Jo Hart shouldn't really be in the team either) but most importantly a dressing room. For years, you get the feeling half the team would rather be anywhere but in an England shirt and you only need an occasional trip to the AMEX to see the difference it makes. That what was so disappointing about Euro 16 - I thought the current crop were different and you never know they might be.

In all honesty, the bit that might kill England for me isn't the performances on the pitch no matter how bad they get - You can't change your nationality unless you are one of those people who invents an Irish relative when they start doing well. It's the next World Cups in Russia and Qatar. I'd rather put my cock in a blender than attend either of them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Malta Saturday, I only know because I had an email advising me that there were 'limited tickets still available'.
I'll watch it if I'm in.

Edit:
Though the missus may get first dibs if it clashes with Strictly.

Ko is at 5pm so it won't clash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here