Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This international break: England v ?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I would happily see the International Break disappear and never reappear. Who's with me?

how about play all the group games sat/weds in one lump at the end of the season like the actual tournament? the ad men could whip up the hype, no players injured for their employers, everyone's a winner.
i don't have many ideas, but this one is too easy, therefore extremely improbable :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1 bad result! You are very much a glass half full kind of man!

1 very bad result granted. Before that 0 defeats in group (granted 2 draws weren't good results) and 10/10 wins in qualifying again. We were a shambles vs Iceland but nobody just 'gives up' on supporting BHA after a bad defeat so why should England be any different? I do agree the international breaks are ****ing stupid though I have to say - just couldn't resist flying the pro England flag on this thread :thumbsup:

Our problem is we are brilliant in qualifying - comfortably amongst the top teams in the world in that regard but we get to a major and they play with weights on their feet. Annoyingly repetitive yes... But don't give up on your country people :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
how about play all the group games sat/weds in one lump at the end of the season like the actual tournament? the ad men could whip up the hype, no players injured for their employers, everyone's a winner.
i don't have many ideas, but this one is too easy, therefore extremely improbable :thumbsup:

I agree. Would almost be like a 1 month mini tourno when there's not a major tourno on... Something every year to watch...

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

I'm in. Better than what we have now.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
1 very bad result granted. Before that 0 defeats in group (granted 2 draws weren't good results) and 10/10 wins in qualifying again. We were a shambles vs Iceland but nobody just 'gives up' on supporting BHA after a bad defeat so why should England be any different? I do agree the international breaks are ****ing stupid though I have to say - just couldn't resist flying the pro England flag on this thread :thumbsup:

Our problem is we are brilliant in qualifying - comfortably amongst the top teams in the world in that regard but we get to a major and they play with weights on their feet. Annoyingly repetitive yes... But don't give up on your country people :thumbsup:

I'm definitely on your side in this argument but I am really fed up with us STINKING out the place EVERY single tournament. I don't even expect us to win, just to give a shit.
The analogy with Brighton is unfair, IMO, due to expectation levels.
And I hope, even in our current malaise, we stick it to the sweaties

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm definitely on your side in this argument but I am really fed up with us STINKING out the place EVERY single tournament. I don't even expect us to win, just to give a shit.
The analogy with Brighton is unfair, IMO, due to expectation levels.
And I hope, even in our current malaise, we stick it to the sweaties

Me too - I admit we don't perform to the high standards we tend to set in qualifying at majors...

Expectation levels nothing to do with sticking by your team so find that analagy fair myself...

Yep, looking forward to those games...

Euro 96 was my first taste of real football & proper emotion. I will never give up on my country I was born into... :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Our problem is we are brilliant in qualifying - comfortably amongst the top teams in the world in that regard

It's not exactly difficult to qualify out of a group where the strongest team is Switzerland though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's not exactly difficult to qualify out of a group where the strongest team is Switzerland though.

A Switzerland side who won a lot of praise for their excellent performances at the World Cup just months before & we beat them convincingly home & away... You're being harsh there. Yes it's not the hardest of tasks but we didn't just qualify - we won every game! Same with the W/C qualifying. Then we get to the tourno itself & go to shit on the whole. That's the problem.

I thought we were excellent against Russsia and horrendous against Iceland - we needed to go the other way and get gradually better - instead we got rapidly worse..

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I did not have a clue who England were playing until I read this thread , let alone there's 2 games . I vaguely remembered something about us and Scotland being in the same group .

I hate the international break because it is pretty much 2 weeks without a league came as nothing is played midweek during both weeks .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still support England and will watch the games on tv. I enjoyed my visit to Wembley a couple of years ago to watch us play a friendly against Chile.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Scrap league cup, move league fixtures into the Tuesdays it vacates and international weekends, introduce a 3 week winter break (ie 2 weekends off), hold a qualifying tournament soon after end of domestic season. No more random gaps, no need to reduce leagues to 20 teams, what's the problem?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem with England now is that because it's the same players who've failed before we could beat Malta 10-0 and it would mean nothing.

Rooney can't do it at the highest level for England, Southgate is a reluctant manager, the players would rather be playing for their clubs than the national side. And who can get excited about a World Cup in Russia?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Malta and a team beginning with 'Sler'.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Me too - I admit we don't perform to the high standards we tend to set in qualifying at majors...

Expectation levels nothing to do with sticking by your team so find that analagy fair myself...

Yep, looking forward to those games...

Euro 96 was my first taste of real football & proper emotion. I will never give up on my country I was born into... :thumbsup:

Yep, fair do's, expectation levels for me are to do with resources, hence anticipating a little more from England....albeit in vain.
I'll probably still go to Russia regardless

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here