Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This international break: England v ?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Like the OP, I've only got a vague idea who we're playing and don't much care.

But that's the problem with tournament formats, not a sign that England don't matter to me any more. Since they introduced the larger World Cup and European Championships it means that two teams qualify from each group. And that means larger Euro nations, inluding England are virtually guaranteed to qualify. So we don't really care about these games.

The answer is to make qualifying more difficult so that it becomes more meaningful. But that won't happen because the politics of football are increasingly designed to make sure the big sides can't get knocked out early and the small sides get lots of opportunity to play the big sides to make money (even though they'll almost never win). This applies as much the champions league as it does to international football.

It's basically capitalism squeezing the fun out of football as it squeezes the fun out of everything else.

Oh - and Come on England.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Like the OP, I've only got a vague idea who we're playing and don't much care.

But that's the problem with tournament formats, not a sign that England don't matter to me any more. Since they introduced the larger World Cup and European Championships it means that two teams qualify from each group. And that means larger Euro nations, inluding England are virtually guaranteed to qualify. So we don't really care about these games.

The answer is to make qualifying more difficult so that it becomes more meaningful. But that won't happen because the politics of football are increasingly designed to make sure the big sides can't get knocked out early and the small sides get lots of opportunity to play the big sides to make money (even though they'll almost never win). This applies as much the champions league as it does to international football.

It's basically capitalism squeezing the fun out of football as it squeezes the fun out of everything else.

Oh - and Come on England.

True that. Qualifying used to be exciting but now it's totally dull. Unless a big team makes a total bollocks of it (Holland) then they will always qualify.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No, the premise was doing well. Not attendances. I will admit we did well in 1986 and 90 but bad luck and cheating put paid to our efforts.

I wasn't talking about attendances either. There was a feel good factor towards the national side during the four tournaments I mentioned and it was ok to say you were an England fan. Actually thinking about it ditto 98.

94 didn't qualify and had the "do I not like that", swedes and turnips debacle. 2000 and 02 we had one result against an old foe but were poor for the rest. 08 didn't qualify. 10, 12, 14, 16 all crap so very easy to dislike the national side especially given the thunder***** we have in the media over here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True that. Qualifying used to be exciting but now it's totally dull. Unless a big team makes a total bollocks of it (Holland) then they will always qualify.
It used to be groups of 4, with the top 2 teams qualifying. Only 6 games to play, little margin for error, and if you stuff it up against the likes of Norway (as we did in 93, drawing at Wembley after being 2-0 up, and losing in Oslo), then the seeded team can easily dip out. Proper pressure on EVERY game.

Qualification these days is such a snooze. We'll sleepwalk through this group, meaning we won't actually have a PROPER game until 2018 (and we all know what'll happen when that day arrives). OK the scotch game has some parochial interest, but its still 6 points on a plate.

I'll still be watching though. Come on England.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It used to be groups of 4, with the top 2 teams qualifying. Only 6 games to play, little margin for error, and if you stuff it up against the likes of Norway (as we did in 93, drawing at Wembley after being 2-0 up, and losing in Oslo), then the seeded team can easily dip out. Proper pressure on EVERY game.

That away game v Italy to qualify for the 98 World Cup is the one I always remember. So much pressure, especially after not qualifying in 94 (and they'd beaten us at Wembley). Marvellous scenes. It felt like we'd really achieved something.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Qualification these days is such a snooze. We'll sleepwalk through this group, meaning we won't actually have a PROPER game until 2018 (and we all know what'll happen when that day arrives). OK the scotch game has some parochial interest, but its still 6 points on a plate.

I'll still be watching though. Come on England.

I agree with you, but FIFA/UEFA want all the 'big' countries/players at tournaments, so this'll never happen again. They would've rather Holland qualified for Euro 2016, than Northern Ireland, Iceland, Albania etc.

I'll watch the games when a major tournament comes round, or even a tricky qualifier (Switzerland A, Slovakia A, etc) but would go out my way to avoid this game. England versus Malta. Christ.

Regarding the whole Scottish fans care more is bollocks.. I was up in Aberdeen 2 weeks back for Aberdeen v Rangers and not one person I spoke to watches, or follows the Scottish national team. Every country will have a divide.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really couldn't give the slightest.

Late 90's since I actually cared, little more than an inconvenience these days and potentially reducing the amount of games I get to watch the club I love per season in order to 'reinvigorate' the national team isn't going to win me over any.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I care so little I actually looked at the non league games this afternoon, especially as exciting season for the local side who are going very well. Unfortunately away otherwise would have gone. Quite like a beer on the terrace with a couple thousand others, reminds me of priestfield days! (Minus the beer...and any fun...and any hope...Christ I've depressed myself now...)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a boring game against low class opposition. Is there a worse team in England international history?

A lot of athleticism running into blind alleys, backheels, spins, 'tricks', not playing as a team.

I hate to say it, but the PL is now light years ahead of this mediocrity. When the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, even Southampton turn out, there's so much creativity, directness at times, variation in tactics, speed of thought, sublime skill.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a boring game against low class opposition. Is there a worse team in England international history?

A lot of athleticism running into blind alleys, backheels, spins, 'tricks', not playing as a team.

I hate to say it, but the PL is now light years ahead of this mediocrity. When the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, even Southampton turn out, there's so much creativity, directness at times, variation in tactics, speed of thought, sublime skill.

Little Slovenia have outshone England tonight with pace, decisive counter attacking, a better game plan executed to the letter, and Joe Hart has prevented an another embarrassment.

Surely the worst ever England squad?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Poor coaching and no technique when it comes to modern day football....I'm astonished that nobody can change the way we play or implement a togetherness that we so desperately need....How long have we been a side of dire tactics and individual players?

Bloody shambles from start to finish and nobody has any idea of what to do....every manager plays the same way and all the coaches coach the same way,pathetic!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here