Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 managers tapped up by the Telegraph

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Your last line is what I think. I don't really care about financial side of it. It's not like MPs expenses where it's public money. That's not to say what Tommy Wright etc have done is right, it's just not that scandalous. The extent to which footballers are financial role models is debatable.
also After ten months investigating is this really the best they have? Hasselbaink was at fault in some ways but responsible in others. The fact that his and some of the others wrong doings take so much explaining of the rules dilutes it all for me.
Now if it was blatant match fixing, for example, I'd be more interested because it is directly conning the fans.

So as a paying fan of your club you are comfortable that players being brought (with the clubs/owners money) by the management team are based not necessarily on the suitability of that player for your club but more on a financial incentive that the manager/coach might receive from an agent, player or another third party, it stinks.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So as a paying fan of your club you are comfortable that players being brought (with the clubs/owners money) by the management team are based not necessarily on the suitability of that player for your club but more on a financial incentive that the manager/coach might receive from an agent, player or another third party, it stinks.

Hasselbaink said he'd only take a good player. He's got his own career to protect so he's not going to buy in a load of rubbish players . Sounded to me like he was saying 'if you can get me the kind of player I want anyway and I make a few quid, happy days'. I'm not saying it's right , just that if that's the level of corruption the telegraph has found after a ten month investigation it tells me a lot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was a book written some years ago by Tom Bowers - Broken Dreams which highlighted the back handers given in transfers and mentioned many well known established managers including Brian Clough, Don Revie George Graham and Arry who he said never bought or sold a player unless he received at least £100k and not one of the managers or their family sued him. So the latest stories are far from new just a rehash of his investigation of about 10 years ago with added names

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hasselbaink said he'd only take a good player. He's got his own career to protect so he's not going to buy in a load of rubbish players . Sounded to me like he was saying 'if you can get me the kind of player I want anyway and I make a few quid, happy days'. I'm not saying it's right , just that if that's the level of corruption the telegraph has found after a ten month investigation it tells me a lot.

I agree in regards on Hasselbaink, I havent studied it but a bit of a non story for me, but the key is this, every single manager knows that his likely tenure is no more than 18 months (might be less now) so the two most important things that the manager require when taking on a new role is, firstly his 'exit clause' and then in some cases where can I make some cash, now the problem is that corruption can be difficult to detect because corruption is corrupt !!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There was a book written some years ago by Tom Bowers - Broken Dreams which highlighted the back handers given in transfers and mentioned many well known established managers including Brian Clough, Don Revie George Graham and Arry who he said never bought or sold a player unless he received at least £100k and not one of the managers or their family sued him. So the latest stories are far from new just a rehash of his investigation of about 10 years ago with added names

Exactly , stick their names on the front page and see who sues. Allardyce didn't when he was on Panorama despite threatening too

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a book written some years ago by Tom Bowers - Broken Dreams which highlighted the back handers given in transfers and mentioned many well known established managers including Brian Clough, Don Revie George Graham and Arry who he said never bought or sold a player unless he received at least £100k and not one of the managers or their family sued him.

Revie's misdeeds went a lot further - he was accused of fixing games, a step beyond anything the Telegraph have uncovered ... so far.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
whenever i get a call from a recruitment agent, and im not interested in the role, they ask me if i know anyone who might be. that seems pretty much what Black is doing and talking about others doing. i wouldnt be breaking any law or even acting unethically to do this, .

And what if that recruitment agent offered you money or incentives for such advice - would that change your stand-point?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And what if that recruitment agent offered you money or incentives for such advice - would that change your stand-point?

i wasnt clear - thats exactly what happens, they offer £200 or something for a successful referral.

to be clear if they've broken FA rules, then they are in trouble with the FA, however so far we havent seen much that would be "corruption" in a wider legal sense. looks a bit dodgy, but you wouldnt go to prison for it. Telegraph is milking it and making a huge deal when theres more egregious breaches of professional rule and indeed law in other walks of life every day. i heard an MP calling for the FA to come before a select committee to explain it all, i dont hear a similar call for say the Bar Association to come and explain dodgy solicitors.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
All managers with a high turnaround of players which backs up the claim.

Giggs would be odd.

The same Giggs that had an affair with his brothers wife for EIGHT years? I don't think it would be odd, I think it would be perfectly fitting of his character; a genuinely awful person. I'm sure he'd be happy to take bungs, had to pay for his injunctions some how.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The same Giggs that had an affair with his brothers wife for EIGHT years? I don't think it would be odd, I think it would be perfectly fitting of his character; a genuinely awful person. I'm sure he'd be happy to take bungs, had to pay for his injunctions some how.

I have no doubt he is a ****, however I am not sure how he would be in a position to take bungs as a player?

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
High turnover of ex Man Utd there, wonder what else Fergie may have taught them?

When Fergie was at Aberdeen (with Strachan and Black) or just when he was at Man Utd?

Strachan earlier this week dodged a question when asked by a journalist about Sam Allardyce. He only had to say "no I have never taken a "bung" but he didn't. Didn't Strachan buy a player from us when McGhee was our manager in 2005 for £1.5m but hardly played him at Celtic. Seemed a bit odd at the time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Your last line is what I think. I don't really care about financial side of it. It's not like MPs expenses where it's public money. That's not to say what Tommy Wright etc have done is right, it's just not that scandalous. The extent to which footballers are financial role models is debatable.
also After ten months investigating is this really the best they have? Hasselbaink was at fault in some ways but responsible in others. The fact that his and some of the others wrong doings take so much explaining of the rules dilutes it all for me.
Now if it was blatant match fixing, for example, I'd be more interested because it is directly conning the fans.

Brian Clough is held up by many as one of the greatest managers of all time and there have been dozens of books and documentaries eulogising him. He took bungs, according to many, but what people remember is the football. A manager taking a bung affects his relationship with his employer but not the public - unless the extra money being shelled out is so vast that it means an increase in ticket prices.

However, if financial misdeeds affect the sporting credibility of the game, then we're really in trouble. Not just match-fixing, but things like Portsmouth winning the FA Cup with money they didn't have, running up huge debts in the local community that they knew they would never pay off.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Apparently Pardew is one of 8 Managers! Not sure what he's done though

Along with Pulis, Giggs, Hughes, Moyes, Redknapp (shocker), Bruce and Black

Presumably already been mentioned but Redknapp would be pretty irrelevant in every sense barring name recognition.

He's just an unemployed (in any way that actually matters) pensioner.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
When Fergie was at Aberdeen (with Strachan and Black) or just when he was at Man Utd?

Strachan earlier this week dodged a question when asked by a journalist about Sam Allardyce. He only had to say "no I have never taken a "bung" but he didn't. Didn't Strachan buy a player from us when McGhee was our manager in 2005 for £1.5m but hardly played him at Celtic. Seemed a bit odd at the time.

Yeah that Adam Hishelwood signing did look a bit odd, though from what I saw he actually acquitted himself okay in that dogshit league.

Going even further back you could question the Mark Beeney transfer, him of the sliced goal kick, to Leeds for a questionable amount of cash.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah that Adam Hishelwood signing did look a bit odd, though from what I saw he actually acquitted himself okay in that dogshit league.

Going even further back you could question the Mark Beeney transfer, him of the sliced goal kick, to Leeds for a questionable amount of cash.

Adam Hinshelwood signing looked very odd, as it was Adam Virgo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Did you not mean Adam Virgo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here