Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is more electable than Jeremy Corbyn?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The amount of vitriol and hate dumped on Corbyn and much of the Labour Party is incredible, considering those doing the dumping are convinced he is " unelectable " why are they going to so much effort for nothing ? Is it because he is right on many things ? heaven forbid !

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The amount of vitriol and hate dumped on Corbyn and much of the Labour Party is incredible, considering those doing the dumping are convinced he is " unelectable " why are they going to so much effort for nothing ? Is it because he is right on many things ? heaven forbid !

He is the leader of the opposition, people have a right to air their opinion

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

On the whole it seems to be a mixture of amusement and contempt rather than vitriol & hate.

And as many have stated previously and in other JC threads, such a weak and useless opposition is not in the interest of good governance of the UK.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you actually watching the Labour Conference?

i have, or at least ive read McDonnell's speech. he's going to spend £250bn on infrastructure, without any real qualification on what - some lose suggestions to spend on rail, energy, internet (but no big six or BT involvement presumably). just give out billions to any funding request with "infrastructure" in the proposal it seems. presumably this will all be in addition to government departments requests for more budget, for more spending on non-infrastructure and the running cost of infrastructure. he'll have regional banks that give out money to any business that asks, a noble proposal but will there be any scrutiny, lending criteria etc, and again in addition to the £250bn. he also wants to create 200 energy companies (except none are fracking, thats been arbitrarily ruled out), to localise energy. again a good idea in principle but where will there be base load energy for industrial and commercial needs? he wants to encourage entrepreneurs, but punish big companies - so dont be too successful (and certainly don't try to take over a business to save it and fail). its all reminiscent of the policies of the Great Leap Forward, centrally dictated economic and industrial policy with no grounding in the realities of economic or industrial needs.

Jan 30, 2008
So if Corbyn is really as unelectable as you right wingers keep claiming, why keep banging on about it instead of just ignoring him as the irrelevance you claim him and his ideology to be?

In all honesty, I think you're all genuinely worried that change is coming your way. A bit like everyone being convinced that Remain was a safe bet, even if it might end up being closer than expected after all. Didn't quite work out like that did it.

I find it genuinely fascinating that the media and the usual suspects on here keep playing the emperors new clothes trick with Corbyn. I think a lot of people who are doing ok thank you with the system as it is are genuinely worried that our country is clearly divided and that something has to give.

But carry on... you enjoy having your fun, even though plenty of us know it's just a front for your genuine fear of change.

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BREXIT
regards
DR

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
His new politics is about being honest and speaking for what you believe in. Giving straight answers, etc. It wouldn't hurt the Tories to do the same. Oh, actually yes, it probably would.

Was he being honest when he claimed that all the empty looking chairs on the train were actually occupied by very small people?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He is the leader of the opposition, people have a right to air their opinion

An awful lot of hot air over very little though surely... mind you that deflects the attention away nicely from the fact that the 5th biggest economy in the world can't build it's own power stations, accepts the need for Food Banks and has left behind millions of working poor.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
An awful lot of hot air over very little though surely... mind you that deflects the attention away nicely from the fact that the 5th biggest economy in the world can't build it's own power stations, accepts the need for Food Banks and has left behind millions of working poor.

Some folk will always be poorer than others, as the wages they are able to command are lower - this is life, surely. Of course, it would be good if they were paid more, and you would happily go to the pricier shop that paid its workers more, wouldn't you? Were these millions rich a few years ago, by the way?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Quite.

Local paper today highlights a growing homelessness crisis in Eastbourne that the Tories have allowed to develop and current Labour policy would actually do something about - but all this bullsh1t about personalities is much more important...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Quite.

Local paper today highlights a growing homelessness crisis in Eastbourne that the Tories have allowed to develop and current Labour policy would actually do something about - but all this bullsh1t about personalities is much more important...

so simple, isn't it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[/B]

Some folk will always be poorer than others, as the wages they are able to command are lower - this is life, surely. Of course, it would be good if they were paid more, and you would happily go to the pricier shop that paid its workers more, wouldn't you? Were these millions rich a few years ago, by the way?

I'm working my nuts off for the grand sum of £8.83 an hour and I'm luckier than most, however I won't be getting any sort of raise this year yet again. ..... as for " Were these millions rich a few years ago " ?.... no but at least there was more cheap housing and social care and infrastructure a few years back..... think back 20 years, Primark, Poundland, Lidl and Aldi did not exist as there was no need for them then now they are almost essential unless you are one of the luckier ones.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

We can afford to build our power stations, our borrowing in amoungst the cheapest in the world., we have chosen not to fund it directly.

There has always been charity in our society. Always. Food banks are less numerous than Germany and the USA btw.

Millions of working poor...We are wealthier as a society than we have ever been, we have a reasonable minimum wage and we have a benefits and nhs system to catch those least fortunate.

More to do? Yes of course, never rest, always try and make it better.

But still, welcome to the hard left. Until their elite are in power and then all will be good in the world

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm working my nuts off for the grand sum of £8.83 an hour and I'm luckier than most, however I won't be getting any sort of raise this year yet again. ..... as for " Were these millions rich a few years ago " ?.... no but at least there was more cheap housing and social care and infrastructure a few years back..... think back 20 years, Primark, Poundland, Lidl and Aldi did not exist as there was no need for them then now they are almost essential unless you are one of the luckier ones.

Do you not think that your final sentence might just be that shade exaggerated?
Ok, what you say may be the case with cheaper housing and social care, but not sure what you mean by infrastructure -sounds like a quick throw-away line to lend some credence . .As for shops - did we not have Woolworths, Bellmans, and I am sure that there were many others.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This W**ker!

img441.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[/B]

Do you not think that your final sentence might just be that shade exaggerated?
Ok, what you say may be the case with cheaper housing and social care, but not sure what you mean by infrastructure -sounds like a quick throw-away line to lend some credence . .As for shops - did we not have Woolworths, Bellmans, and I am sure that there were many others.

I'm looking for another job, however, nearly all the jobs are polarised between minimum wage or fractionally above it/zero hours contracts or temporary jobs with no security or project managers/ Senior Engineers/ Security Analyst... this is the world we have now, don't believe me though look at the link...

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/worthing

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm looking for another job, however, nearly all the jobs are polarised between minimum wage or fractionally above it/zero hours contracts or temporary jobs with no security or project managers/ Senior Engineers/ Security Analyst... this is the world we have now, don't believe me though look at the link...

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/worthing

I really could not comment on your own situation, and so it is not a question of not believing you. Have you quoted the world, or the narrow area in which you look for work? What are your qualifications? To what extent have you worked hard? Have you been sensible etc etc.
I do NOT want answers as it is nothing to do with me, but would only say that what is affecting you in your sphere may not be affecting others. I wish you luck in finding a job from which you get more satisfaction - and dosh.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think back 20 years, Primark, Poundland, Lidl and Aldi did not exist as there was no need for them then now they are almost essential unless you are one of the luckier ones.

they were all around in the 90's, Primark goes back to the 70's. there were plenty of "discount" shops and the markets everyone went to get bargin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An awful lot of hot air over very little though surely... mind you that deflects the attention away nicely from the fact that the 5th biggest economy in the world can't build it's own power stations
The plans for a new power station started under the last Labour government, but I don't think they had any plans for us to build it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here