Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have no idea if there was another bid for him or not but it is not really the amount of money that they are offering. The bids are probably designed to get a reaction from Stephens rather than the club.

The club stance is that he is not for sale and Burnley know that. They are probably trying to find out is ''Dale Stephens for sale'' ?

Oh and I might add..........Articles from our very own local paper which is supposed to be supportive of the Club. Reporting such bids are not helpful. I know that's their job to do these things but it truly isn't helpful

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I am beginning to despise 99% of everything to do with Burnley. Only Jimmy Anderson stops it being 100%

Shades of Norwich and their wanker manager Paul Lambert with Bennett and Crofts. Some clubs seem to see us as a one stop shop where they can buy everything they need. That said, I guess Reading and others probably feel the same about us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personally I think if we get an offer of 10m plus then it gets difficult as we could get a quality replacement for Stephens and have 2-3 million left over to add to our budget for a number 10.
Problem is getting the right replacement within 48 hrs is a huge gamble,

That is true but we do not know whether or not they have lined a replacement up, which is where the stories aboht Bradley Dack or the Ivory Coast midfielder from Toulouse have come about.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh and I might add..........Articles from our very own local paper which is supposed to be supportive of the Club. Reporting such bids are not helpful. I know that's their job to do these things but it truly isn't helpful

Blimey, the Argus can't win. If it was all hush-hush and Stephens suddenly went, NSC would be full of people moaning about Naylor not having a clue what's going on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I stunningly stupid statement.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looks like we've missed out on James McCarthy from Everton, wouldn't be surprised if we come in for Stephens.
Post reported for palace trolling on a non-palace thread.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Blimey, the Argus can't win. If it was all hush-hush and Stephens suddenly went, NSC would be full of people moaning about Naylor not having a clue what's going on.

I agree with you 100% - Most people do want to know so they are doing the right thing as far as what they are paid to do. That doesn't stop me having a view that it isn't helpful if we want to hang on to these players until the transfer window closes

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Clubs "leak" snippets to the media to get the price up, either by the bidding club increasing the bid, or other clubs getting involved.
There's no doubt Stephens is going, they just want the right fee on the table.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And well done to the albion for EXTERMINATING the ginger dalek's derisory bids.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clubs "leak" snippets to the media to get the price up, either by the bidding club increasing the bid, or other clubs getting involved.
But you don't know if the club has leaked anything. It could be the agent leaking it, or information from Burnley.

There's no doubt Stephens is going
There's plenty of doubt, we don't know what will happen yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with you 100% - Most people do want to know so they are doing the right thing as far as what they are paid to do. That doesn't stop me having a view that it isn't helpful if we want to hang on to these players until the transfer window closes

Whatever appears in the Argus will not make a BLIND bit of difference as to whether a player stays or goes. Complete irrelevance.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

In this instance. The bids are NOT WELCOME by Brighton Football Club

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
But you don't know if the club has leaked anything. It could be the agent leaking it, or information from Burnley.

Possibly the agent, but why would Burnley want to alert other clubs to their offers ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Or, perhaps, we just won't sell him?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Both of your statements are oh so true...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In this instance. The bids are NOT WELCOME by Brighton Football Club

:thumbsup:

Possibly the agent, but why would Burnley want to alert other clubs to their offers ?

People do weird things though. Like hanging around their rivals forum on a bank holiday Monday when they have a DRUM to polish.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Burnley desperately need to demonstrate to their fans they are going to at least try and stay in the Prem by making signings...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Albion turn down fourth bid from Burnley for Dale Stephens.....

Why do you think the club are resigned to losing him?

The information in the Argus is very precise, I don't think they'd print it unless they had a very good source. There are three likely places this information came from:

BURNLEY. They'd want this deal to be secret through a fear of being guzumped (like they did to us with Ward), I'd be very surprised if they'd leaked this.

STEPHENS' AGENT. A likely source, he wants the highest fee possible and making these details public could lead to a bidding war and subsequent massive increase of the greedy chump's cut.

BHA. A quiet word from a source at the club to AN would again alert other teams to the fact Dale is not for sale at £5.5m but maybe a bit more? The fact that he has not signed a contract and has had little playtime this season would suggest his head is not in the right place and the club are now looking for a maximum return; making this deal public should get some other clubs involved to get that fee closer to £10m.

I fear the last source is the one AN got the story from. It's all about the size of the fee now & hopefully, it won't be Burnley or another Championship club that take him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here