Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It won't affect his attitude. Dale Stephens is not like that in the slightest. If he is still here after the deadline, he will probably sign a new contract and maybe get a clause in it that if we don't go up then he can leave if someone makes us a decent offer for him.

Meanwhile we have a manager not knowing who he has in midfield and no time to bring in a replacement if he does go.

The transfer deadline should be the day before the season starts to avoid all of this last minute, disruptive bullsh1t. I'm beginning to really dislike modern football.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What a load of crap.

Unless you know something the rest of us don't, Hughton doesn't know if he's about to lose one of our better players or not. And that doesnt have a negative impact on the club?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
To put it into perspective, all selling Stephens for ~7/8m would do, is allow Bloom and the club to post only a minimal loss for one year. Not worth selling one of our best players for, we're not in a position where we need to sale as long as Bloom is happy to cover things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unless you know something the rest of us don't, Hughton doesn't know if he's about to lose one of our better players or not. And that doesnt have a negative impact on the club?
Yes it does have a negative impact. It is a problem. But your points are ridiculous:
"Stephens has contributed next to nothing on the pitch this season so it's not like we're losing a regular player". No he hasn't contributed much yet, but we need him to over the next 41 league games. He contributed a massive amount last season and we'd like him to do the same again, to give us the best chance of promotion. Of course it would be a big loss, the fact that he's not featured much yet is irrelevant.

"He is clearly holding the club to ransom so he can sod off as far as I'm concerned". That's not clear at all. It seems that a Premier League club is interested in signing him, and it wouldn't be surprising if he likes the idea of playing in the Premier League. That's about all we know. There's nothing to suggest he's holding the club to ransom.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Meanwhile we have a manager not knowing who he has in midfield and no time to bring in a replacement if he does go.

The transfer deadline should be the day before the season starts to avoid all of this last minute, disruptive bullsh1t.
I agree that the window should shut before the season starts, but that wouldn't fix the particular issue you raise. We'd still be unsure whether or not we'd lose the player, and we'd still have the same amount of time to bring in a replacement.

As it is though, Chris will obviously have discussed with PB and TB whether or not Stephens might go, and if he does, whether we'll bring in a replacement. If there is a figure the club would accept, I'm sure the club will have looked at all replacement opportunities. If they think it's likely Stephens will go, we might have already made an offer for a replacement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I wouldn't expect him to sign a new contract, I like the last part - makes sense. He gets the security of knowing he'll be paid even if he's injured, while knowing he can go to another club if he wants to. We get him for this important year, and don't lose out on transfer fee. It's win win surely?

Begs the question in the unlikely event if this is the scenario, why the hell hasn't this already happened?

I think I saw lots of pigs flying past my window when I read your and NOOBHA's post :smile:

I like pigs by the way and will be thrilled if this is the outcome....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Begs the question in the unlikely event if this is the scenario, why the hell hasn't this already happened?
Well if I were Dale I'd be interested in the opportunity of playing in the PL this season, with a nice pay rise too, so I guess I'd hold off signing a new contract if I could. But once the window is closed (or closing) I guess the new contract with a release clause would be a good option.

I like pigs by the way and will be thrilled if this is the outcome....
Well he hasn't handed in a transfer request, so he can't expect us to sell him. So if the club don't sell he's got nothing to complain about. So once the window is closed, I'd think it's in his interest to sign a new contract. Wage increase and contract security, without preventing him being sold next summer.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I just hope Stephens and Dunk stay. I know both are close to going, but fingers crossed they can both be persuaded that their futures are here. I think I'm going to stick my head under a pillow for the next 2 days!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just hope Stephens and Dunk stay. I know both are close to going, but fingers crossed they can both be persuaded that their futures are here. I think I'm going to stick my head under a pillow for the next 2 days!

You KNOW or you are GUESSING?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand people using the fact that Stephens hasnt been a regular this season as a reason we could do with out him.. Just look at how poor we have been in most games this season and certainly not shown as promotion contenders. That is not just down to the non appearance of Stephens but other players not showing their best.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes it does have a negative impact. It is a problem. But your points are ridiculous:
"Stephens has contributed next to nothing on the pitch this season so it's not like we're losing a regular player". No he hasn't contributed much yet, but we need him to over the next 41 league games. He contributed a massive amount last season and we'd like him to do the same again, to give us the best chance of promotion. Of course it would be a big loss, the fact that he's not featured much yet is irrelevant.

"He is clearly holding the club to ransom so he can sod off as far as I'm concerned". That's not clear at all. It seems that a Premier League club is interested in signing him, and it wouldn't be surprising if he likes the idea of playing in the Premier League. That's about all we know. There's nothing to suggest he's holding the club to ransom.
And you say I'm making ridiculous points?

Stephens is clearly ready to play fitness wise
Stephens is a key player for us
He did not play in an important game against Newcastle

Maybe you can explain why he isn't playing at the moment then? As we saw last season, every game is important if we are going to get promotion so to be without a key midfielder suggests that it isn't merely Chris Hughton preferring Sidwell, or whoever, over Stephens.

Like Bridcutt, if his head has been turned by a glamorous PL club (Burnley ffs) then I'd rather see him go. Towards the end of Bridcutt's stay with us it was like having 10 men. I'm not saying Stephens would react in the same way but none of us know for sure how he'll be (except DS himself). I'm prety sure his team mates want to see it resolved as much as we do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here