Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still in the squad though wasn't he.
.....and presumably would have been if still a Brighton player, as with CG and the BFG out injured, he would certainly have been getting game time for us.

And long term, playing for a sh*tty Blackburn team conceding shedloads of goals isn't going to do much for his international credentials anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
.....and presumably would have been if still a Brighton player, as with CG and the BFG out injured, he would certainly have been getting game time for us.

And long term, playing for a sh*tty Blackburn team conceding shedloads of goals isn't going to do much for his international credentials anyway.

Goldson and BFG are just about back now, he'd be well down the pecking order. Regardless of whether or not being in the squad for Scotland is important to him, he's 36 in December. I doubt he wanted to spend the twilight of his career picking splinters out of his arse.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think he was as bad as all that on Saturday, and regardless of this wouldn;t want to extrapolate purely based on the last few games.

BUT

It is a lot of money for a position in which we were already very competitive. I hope that if it comes to it, that CH isn't afraid to drop him for Connor.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you think that would have been a major concern at 36 years of age?

Only Greer can answer that. He might love being involved with Scotland, he might not give a toss.

Knowing the type of player he was for us though, I'd be surprised if he didn't love being involved in International football. The end of his career is looming and you're a long time retired, I would think he just wants to make the most of what he has left now.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bad home debut. Wasn't impressed , didn't seem to want to do much but hoof it,

looks a bit old school centre back and his pace wasn't good.

Hopefully will improve , would get Dunk and Goldson paired back up ASAP

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
bad home debut. Wasn't impressed , didn't seem to want to do much but hoof it,

looks a bit old school centre back and his pace wasn't good.

Hopefully will improve , would get Dunk and Goldson paired back up ASAP

You're right about the hoofing aspect but he was certainly dropped in it numerous times by Bruno losing the ball in their half and us being light at the back when they countered. Perhaps he isn't used to having a marauding right back who struggles to get back when he's lost the ball.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Came in at the last minute, no pre season bonding with the squad and hardly any training together to work out routines yet all the MOANERS and KNOW (nothing idiots) alls SHOUTING their mouths off about him being CRAP.

Go and 'support' Man U from your sofas and leave the Albion to TRUE fans like ME

An international with Prem League experience and Champ experience and that price tag I would expect him to slot right in.

Sooner Goldson is fit the better frankly. Seen enough already. Can we get a refund?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think its far too early to call it a big mistake.

It probably didn't help Duffy with Bruno having a nightmare game. Having said that I would bring Goldson back in if CH thinks that he is fit enough to start, and give Duffy more time on the training ground to get to know Bruno better!

This.
Bruno left Duffy exposed, so it isn't all down to Duffy being useless. Knockaert didn't help defend much either, so the whole right hand side of the field was vulnerable.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't really get all the criticism to be honest, just sounds like scapegoating. Dominant in the air, some nice interceptions, seems comfortable on the ball. Positionally needs some work but that will come in time.

We failed to sign a striker, that doesn't mean we have to berate someone who we spent alot of money on. It wasn't an either or situation. Bringing Duffy in wasn't the reason we didn't get a striker, neither would any funds have been freed up to that end if we hadn't bought him.

We had the money allocated to bring in a top striker, recruitment failed. Not Duffy's fault.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
This.
Bruno left Duffy exposed, so it isn't all down to Duffy being useless. Knockaert didn't help defend much either, so the whole right hand side of the field was vulnerable.

In Bruno's defence it's not unusual for him to get forward and leave space behind. I suspect it was a case of Knockaert offering little protection, Norwood not covering, Duffy being new to the team/shape and Brentford exploiting it very well. Whatever the actual reason, I'm sure Hughton's been looking at it because we can't let that happen again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the problem is that due to the price we paid for him being a current international, the supporters expected another Lewis Dunk and that he would step straight into the team and the way we play, taking into account we only paid £650k for Goldson. His first 2 games he hasnt shown up well so we must hope he does in the future. He wasnt helped by Bruno being caught out of position and with no Stephens as I have said a number of times our whole right side was weak and Brentfird capitalized on it. I am sure many others would have taken note of this apparent weakness to expose it when they play us.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another thread for the usual mouthy morons to get stuck into a player who has played two games for us.

This is an internet forum. Amazing that there are still MORONS on here incapable of working out the difference between discussing a player on here, and supporting him at the Amex.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't really get all the criticism to be honest, just sounds like scapegoating. Dominant in the air, some nice interceptions, seems comfortable on the ball. Positionally needs some work but that will come in time.

We failed to sign a striker, that doesn't mean we have to berate someone who we spent alot of money on. It wasn't an either or situation. Bringing Duffy in wasn't the reason we didn't get a striker, neither would any funds have been freed up to that end if we hadn't bought him.

We had the money allocated to bring in a top striker, recruitment failed. Not Duffy's fault.

I don't think recruitment failed. Chris Hughton said the striker's club held onto him in the same way that we held onto Stephens. Just because we don't know who it was, doesn't mean that it failed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think recruitment failed. Chris Hughton said the striker's club held onto him in the same way that we held onto Stephens. Just because we don't know who it was, doesn't mean that it failed.

Surely because we didnt sign him we failed as Burnley did with Stephens irrespective of the reasons or whys and wherefores we failed to get him

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely because we didnt sign him we failed as Burnley did with Stephens irrespective of the reasons or whys and wherefores we failed to get him

Recuitment identify the player, then it's up to Barber and co. to offer the money and do the deal. Hence recruitment didn't fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here