Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our away end is full of

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep...50+ years of watching football and I can remember all too clearly the mood swing in football around the late 60's.Before then, adults would look out for kids and ensure they were ushered to the front, so they could see. Men would be respectful of women in the crowd. All that changed and it became a free for all. Football became more ugly, more violent, more selfish. Run with the pack or take your chance. It was a hairy ride, never knowing when the next outburst of fighting would occur and whether you would be caught up in it. Language became more coarser, more racist, more public.The humorous wag gave way to the foul mouthed yob.
Years and years of ugliness and decay and complacency and then deaths.Multiple deaths. And then, finally, action. The game appeared to clean itself up. Families were attracted back. Many more women started coming back into football and attending games felt more comfortable. Has it eradicated ignorance and bad behaviour? No. Will it ever? No. An away day at football, within a certain radius, has always attracted a particular type of fan. You can spot them a mile off. They wear their ignorance like a badge of honour. You see them lurching through the turnstiles, with a glazed look in their eyes. They emerge on the concourse, like a fawn being born, slightly unsure of their legs. They spot the long queues for drinks, swear profusely and then stagger off to the loos. After relieving themselves of about 2 litres of fluid and not washing their hands, they set about the main task of getting another drink. This involves 4-5 of them, fidgetting, swearing and then, eventually leering at the 17 year old kiosk operator, whilst ordering copious quantities of alcohol, much of which is spilt, before it reaches the mouth. They don't really bother much about where they are sitting. They reach high up the stand about 5 minutes after kick off, spilling enough food to feed a third world village. They last 15 minutes more into the game before their bladders can take no more and then its back down to the loos again, unsettling everyone around them. Now comes the dilemma. They are back down on the concourse, near the bars and haven't a clue what is going on in the game. They don't really care what is going on, so they have another drink. After much tooing and froing, conscience finally gets the better of them ( they realise they have spent £25 on a ticket and better see what all the fuss is about ) and rather reluctantly and resentfully, they take up their seats again for the second half on or around the 52nd minute. The next 15 minutes is spent extolling the virtues of the chest dimensions of the young lady who served them copious quantities of alcohol, various repetitions of their informed take on the game, such as..." This is crap "..." I've never been so facking bored in my life "....and " How much longer are we gonna watch this shite for? " They are desperate for the opposition to go ahead, so they can vent the most unbelievable bile at BHA. Two down is even better. Cue exit and a bee-line for the first available watering hole near the ground. Much much later that same day, they are all asleep on the train home. One finally stirs and then another. He looks at him semi-glazed and sleepily and says..." any idea how United got on ? "

All quite accurate, apart from you missed the moment(s) when they strike up a tedious chorus of "[insert name of town] is a shithole, I wanna go home", zzzzzzz. Occasionally interspersed with the equally unfunny "your support is ****ing shit" or "worst support we've ever seen" etc.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So surely there's no issue because they moved, despite the bravado.

This thread happens after every local away game, everyone just needs to be a bit more accommodating. Accept that some people like getting pissed and swearing, and pissheads should be a bit more mindful of old people and children. It's really not difficult :shrug:

What about sweary old pissheads who go to away games with their wife and child? Asking for a friend.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Where else, other than the football, is one forced to remain cheek by jowl among members of the working class, for two hours or more?

They should all be banned.
Quite right. Some of these people don't know how to behave in any place without sawdust on the floor. Wouldn't be tolerated at a Cliff Richard concert I can tell you.

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
What about sweary old pissheads who go to away games with their wife and child? Asking for a friend.

Anecdote Alert.

A few years back, I took my son to Orient away.

Towards the bottom of the stand was an Albion fan going berserk; directing foul mouthed abuse, obscene gestures and a violent rage at the home fans.

Eventually my son piped up that she was the Mum of a pal his at primary school.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I was embarrassed to stand amongst a core of our away "supporters" on Saturday. The usual group of hard core Twats mouthing off, drunk or drugged up and generally making the occasion an afternoon you wished you stayed at home.
They have the cheek to sing to the Reading fans that their support is embarrassing.! It is not an experience I will be repeating in the near future. One **** fell over the chair in front on to the wife of a chap standing in front and got mightily aggrieved when her other half grabbed him and threw him back over the seat. At this time his idiot mates tried to swing a few punches before it all calmed down, but not before the poor girl shed a few tears.
This behaviour is absolutely unacceptable and if you were one of the pillocks involved reading this you should be ashamed of yourself.

I saw this too, and feel for the guy and his misses - complete bunch of twats and if that had been me I wouldn't have had his restraint.

I was also unfortunately placed with a bunch of acne riddle teenagers calling themselves the YOOF who having seen one too many Danny Dyer movies spent more time looking, swearing and gesticulating at the Reading fans (from their safe distance of over 150 yards away) than watching the actual game.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
45 replies thus far and not one, "So why didn't you say something at the time, rather than come on NSC?" post.

Standards are slipping...

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
45 replies thus far and not one, "So why didn't you say something at the time, rather than come on NSC?" post.

Standards are slipping...

Because I am not about to get in to an unwinnable argument with a bunch of drunk lads and end up going backwards over the Seats in front (I am getting on now and not as agile as I once was.)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Because I am not about to get in to an unwinnable argument with a bunch of drunk lads and end up going backwards over the Seats in front (I am getting on now and not as agile as I once was.)
Melt, I'd have opened one of 'em up.

Im joking !!!!

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We had some real idiots behind us as well, regular fans as know a couple of the faces, the abuse to our players and aggression shown, was quite nasty. I understand that bad language is part of football, but the constant use of the C and F words against our players was not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lush

Mods' Pet
Ooooh - if we're having a go at our own away fans, I'd like to wade in with a group who arrived fairly early at Derby, chose some seats they fancied, then told people who had tickets for those seats that 'it's sit where you like', causing a predictable knock on effect all around.

I'm not naming names, but they travel a lot and have their own flag.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I must say, I didn't see anything untoward from where I was sitting.. The stewards were moaning about an old geezer who looked like a less chunky Del Boy who kicked up a bit of a fuss before the game, but I didn't see anything bad inside the stadium itself (aside from our football at times).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We had some real idiots behind us as well, regular fans as know a couple of the faces, the abuse to our players and aggression shown, was quite nasty. I understand that bad language is part of football, but the constant use of the C and F words against our players was not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being a football fan does tend to bring out the worst in a lot of people. I went to the Oval a couple of weekends back and you wouldn't have got that there :tantrum:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The F word AND people sitting/standing where they like? This is getting out of hand, something needs to be done.

I know it sounds a bit wimpish, but this puts me off away matches. At the last home game, a whole crowd near me on the concourse, was boasting about being a group of 8 and pushing off a smaller group, who had actually reserved the seats in question. This then forces those who have been wronged to go elsewhere, and then end up potentially in another stand-off, or having to go in a far corner which would not be in demand.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
The F word AND people sitting/standing where they like? This is getting out of hand, something needs to be done.

People want to go to an away game and sit in the seat they have bought and enjoy the game. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible as they are surrounded by inconsiderate tw**s Such as your good self.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People want to go to an away game and sit in the seat they have bought and enjoy the game. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible as they are surrounded by inconsiderate tw**s Such as your good self.

You have already called me a **** from your opening post, where you claim our away support is full of them. The fact you say it's 'no longer possible' is rather strange as it has been this way for as long as I can remember.

If you want your allocated seat, get there early. It's never failed to work for me, and is a mild inconvenience for the assurances you desire.

I have no issues with groups of lads, drunk or otherwise, congregating in certain areas. Away support is supposed to be boisterous. I can't think of anything worse than everyone being forced to sit in their seats politely, we have enough of that at the Amex.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Ah, don't worry, I was only being playful. It was more a nod to the comments that usually come when someone like yourself starts a thread like this. I agree with you.

As has been said, you get a larger number of dickheads at localish games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here