Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Very subjective - if you saw Mo on that resurrection of Superstars they did a couple of years ago, you'd realise he is ABSOLUTELY SHITE at anything but running (it was almost embarrassing). They are both complete legends in my book - can't say one is superior to the other.

But Mo beat The Cube. No one else has ever done that. (On the British version of the show)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Until Nick Griffin can win consecutive double golds we will have to make do with Mo Farah.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
It's Somalian rather than British biology in terms of his athletic ability and that's where it falls down for me. Good luck to him, great guy but it never really feels like a British victory. That's biological fact, not racism/xenophobia.

What an unpleasant comment :(

"British Biology"? :facepalm:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Very subjective - if you saw Mo on that resurrection of Superstars they did a couple of years ago, you'd realise he is ABSOLUTELY SHITE at anything but running (it was almost embarrassing). They are both complete legends in my book - can't say one is superior to the other.

He was ****ing great on The Cube.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Daley Thompson 3 golds at 3 consecutive world or olympic championships. Mo Farah 8 golds at 4 consecutive world or olympic championships.

Mo Farah fell over in the 10,000 and still won! Definitely our best ever.

Mo can run long distance, but what else? Daley done the business across multi-disiplines, that makes for a greater athlete. if we are going to focus down on single disciplines have to then bring in the rowers and cyclists.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mo can run long distance, but what else? Daley done the business across multi-disiplines, that makes for a greater athlete. if we are going to focus down on single disciplines have to then bring in the rowers and cyclists.

Wiggins ? Track sprints to a month-long slog around France, then back to the track ?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Personally I think of Mo as British and comes across as quite a nice human being (as far as I can know).

But your post is full of your own prejudice, you are assuming those that complain of immigrants not assimilating as an ignorant view, when it seems a reasonable view to hold and then you have muddled up immigration with multiculturalism as if its the same thing.

Mo doesn't seem to demand some Somalian culture and doesnt seem to define himself through his religion, his success has been driven by his genes no doubt but all underpinned by a Western/British culture of access to sports science, medicine and a programme of hard work, he hasnt brought any other 'culture' so cannot be an example of 'multiculturalism' if he hasnt introduced nor demanded anything different to what was already here.

In a way you seem to see a black face or foreign name and instinctively assume that he or she must be an example of something different to you, when in actual fact most are rubbing along just fine and doing similar things than everyone else and could do without the narrow band of an inspirational 'black' sporting or musical stars foisted upon them from middle class white men.

I'm glad we can agree that Mo does indeed come across as a genuinely nice man.

I don't assume that people that complain about immigrants not assimilating are ignorant. Living in a city with around 50% of its population as non white British I have experienced both the good and bad side of immigration and social cohesion. My rather blunt point was just a frustration that here is a great example of how immigration into this country can be an asset to our nation and that it is great to see someone who was not born here, is not white (which does still matter to many people) and is Muslim (again another tricky area for many) has shown to us all that being British is about a collective society where everyone can have differences but still work towards the same shared values and beliefs. Personally I think immigration and multiculturalism are incredibly intertwined as immigration brings cultures together and multiculturalism is about the living side by side in a peaceful and cohesive way. Just because Mo Farah doesn't publicly push Islamic beliefs, demand respect for his Somalian heritage and has bought into Britain surely shows how British culture can mix well with others when the ingredients are right. I don't see how a man originally from East Africa coming to the UK and becoming a national hero whilst retaining his own religion (which can often be seen as anti-west) can't be an example of multiculturalism.

I don't see why you seem to be trying to cast me as a racist when I am saying that he is an inspiration to many kids, especially ones from ethnic minorities. I think race is incredibly important when it comes to role models and I think it is good that we have a black Muslim athlete who can be a good role model to young black Muslim kids who often don't feel part of British society. If saying it's good that we have such a positive role model that can cross racial and religious boundaries is racist then I apologise to all that are offended!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Explain Paula Radcliffe.............white freak ?

Not a freak but certainly an exception to the rule.

The first sub 10 second 100m was run in 1977. Le'Maitre was the first white man to run the 100m sub 10 seconds...................in 2011. It took 34 years for that to happen. There has to be a biological element to the reasons why.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Double double gold medalist, always runs over grabs a Union Jack and some bell ends on here have a go. He has live here for years has British parent and was trained here...arise Sr. Mo

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
i wonder what people would think about an athlete who moved to the uk aged 8 but was from, say, Canada or Australia

Much the same rhetoric. It's a strange form of ideology. The only non-native international sportsman I have issues with are the 'chancers'. Apart from that it doesn't bother me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
woah there fella, seem to be going to far the other way now, ignoring many other athletes and subjective on which disciplines you rate. for my money it would be Daley Thompson.

Lasse Virren was the only other athlete in history to complete a double, double in long distance running, of any nationality, in the Olympics, Mo has also won NINE major gold medals, at all the major events.
Although I have a huge amount of time for Daley Thompson, and Sen Coe, I think both would agree, they can't hold a candle to Mo

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Probably been done to death, but why do the Brits go so overboard about him ? He was born in Somalia and lives in Oregon. Same can be said about some of our cricket and rugby teams (judging by accents in interviews)..........the hysteria about awards gets on my **** , how about the equestrian team ........oh, not such spectacular sports !

Why go overboard? Because he's the best track and field athlete Britain has ever had. Fact. He's as British as you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here