Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scientology

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Please explain how the human race are not an animal as that's just weird, does having an imaginary freind not only make you ignorant but better than any other species? Your logic of "I have a feeling" means people with mental illnesses or dementia could be more in touch with god as they experience feelings that aren't real?? For instance I know someone who suffers from paranoia, he thinks everyone is watching him,he feels they are and senses they are.....they AREN'T but because he feels it it must be true

By all means feel free to be an animal. I don't consider myself one however.

Well "love" is all about a feeling and how people chose to decipher a chemical reaction in the brain.

Your reasoning for love is no different to religious people's reasoning for their God.

You take the end product and work in as many personal factors as you can to try and justify its existence.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Romance is just posturing to impress a potential mate to get laid.

Nothing you just said is evidence of "love". All you described was the proverbial peacock feather show.

How you justify love is how a belief in a God is justified. To someone who has faith there's plenty of evidence to them of something else.

I can just as easily dismiss love as you can dismiss a God.

Please explain what love is if it hasn't already been explained? If no one had taught you about God you would not beleive.
Are you Hindu? The oldest practised religion, if not why not and why is there religion not the right one,or even Greek or roman or pagan all religions before Christ,why are they not right??? Why did god make his son Jewish? He could've chosen somewhere else with a different belief system or is god wrong? After the old testament did god look down and say "you know I've read this book with Mrs God and she thinks it makes me look mean and a bit too "well ard" could you write it again and make me a bit nicer, miss out some of the incest,baby killing,women hating,anti gay stuff ,you know make me a bit more lenient and we're just call it OLD and NEW testaments ". Did the world only start a couple of thousand years ago?? How the f****&& hell did they find people called Mathew, Mark, luke and John in the middle east???

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
i would agree with you here. They are both man made concepts used to explain an experienced phenomenon.

Having said that though this is where the similarity ends as the phenomenons that they are seeking to explain are entirely different.

They are the same in regards to it taking personal feelings, thoughts and experiences to form an opinion on the reality of their existence.

If someone has never experienced love then they will have the same mindset as an atheist has in regards to a god but in their case have it towards love.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
They are the same in regards to it taking personal feelings, thoughts and experiences to form an opinion on the reality of their existence.

If someone has never experienced love then they will have the same mindset as an atheist has in regards to a god but in their case have it towards love.

So if gods a feeling why are there atheists?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Please explain what love is if it hasn't already been explained? If no one had taught you about God you would not beleive.

That's flat out wrong.

You're basing your opinion on the view that nobody who believes in a god has applied any critical thinking to their beliefs. Far more intellgent and enlightened people than you have held a view of a god.

If "god" is a taught concept then who taught the first person who concieved the possibilty? Or could we be hard wired somewhere deep down to be conscious of a god?

Love is a word used to describe chemical reactions in the brain to make you think you need to breed with or protect something.

Are you Hindu? The oldest practised religion, if not why not and why is there religion not the right one,or even Greek or roman or pagan all religions before Christ,why are they not right??? Why did god make his son Jewish? He could've chosen somewhere else with a different belief system or is god wrong? After the old testament did god look down and say "you know I've read this book with Mrs God and she thinks it makes me look mean and a bit too "well ard" could you write it again and make me a bit nicer, miss out some of the incest,baby killing,women hating,anti gay stuff ,you know make me a bit more lenient and we're just call it OLD and NEW testaments ". Did the world only start a couple of thousand years ago?? How the f****&& hell did they find people called Mathew, Mark, luke and John in the middle east???

I'd consider myself agnostic these days. I don't think any of the questions you have asked have any bearing or relevance to the existence of a higher entity.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

We all experience our own versions of love depending on the emotions, feelings and chemical reactions. Love is experienced in different ways by different people and indeed in different ways by the same people due to differring circumstances.

It appears to me that this is the same for people's experiences of god. If indeed god can be experienced (i don't know as i never have) it appears that the experience differs widely across the world and depends on the circumstances in which you encounter said feeling.

I suppose the main difference here is that we accept that everyone experiences love in their own way and has their own definition. The same cannot be true of peoples experiences of god. These have been a massive cause of conflict and mistrust throughout history. The question is how does one know that their experiences of god are the true experiences and someone elses are false. Or are they all true experiences and is it gods will that he should cause so much division?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
That's flat out wrong.

You're basing your opinion on the view that nobody who believes in a god has applied any critical thinking to their beliefs. Far more intellgent and enlightened people than you have held a view of a god.

If "god" is a taught concept then who taught the first person who concieved the possibilty? Or could we be hard wired somewhere deep down to be conscious of a god?

Love is a word used to describe chemical reactions in the brain to make you think you need to breed with or protect something.

I'd consider myself agnostic these days. I don't think any of the questions you have asked have any bearing or relevance to the existence of a higher entity.

You aren't making sense, so you agree with everything I've said about love? So still no evidence of God in that. Of course religion is taught,it is there to make people feel better and to try and understand death,the concept came about from small things like change in weather,Northern lights, crops growing etc and it has evolved from there which is why the older ancient religions (like hindu) have so many gods to try and give meaning to so many different natural occurrences, the pagan worshiped the sun and moon etc it evolved because it's a great way to control people and make them work and conform with the promise of an afterlife.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You aren't making sense, so you agree with everything I've said about love? So still no evidence of God in that. Of course religion is taught,it is there to make people feel better and to try and understand death,the concept came about from small things like change in weather,Northern lights, crops growing etc and it has evolved from there which is why the older ancient religions (like hindu) have so many gods to try and give meaning to so many different natural occurrences, the pagan worshiped the sun and moon etc it evolved because it's a great way to control people and make them work and conform with the promise of an afterlife.

I am making sense, you just can't follow.

I tried explaining to you why lack of evidence is not required for you to believe in something. You don't need evidence of love because you have experienced something you have labelled love. Same goes for people with religious beliefs. They have experienced something and thus they believe.

You asked why some people are atheists?

There is your answer, it's because they haven't experienced anything to make them believe or have faith.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I think the point is that there is no evidence for god expect for people's beliefs. And you can hold up endless threads on this board as evidence that you cannot argue with people's beliefs. The problems start when people start holding up their beliefs as fact because implicit in this is the idea that their beliefs are more accurate than the next mans.

As i said before if god is a feeling or experience and god is real then its very nature is divisive.

IMHO religion and god was a way of explaining our existence and origins before we had any better ideas. This is why most, if not all cultures have stories to explain these important questions.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
IMHO religion and god was a way of explaining our existence and origins before we had any better ideas. This is why most, if not all cultures have stories to explain these important questions.

Or we were originally hardwired to be aware of something else outside of our own plane of existence.

How else could something be so wide spread and not present in any other species on the planet?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Or we were originally hardwired to be aware of something else outside of our own plane of existence.

How else could something be so wide spread and not present in any other species on the planet?

It is possible but if it were hardwired than surely the stories told by different cultures would be more alike. We have had around 50,000 religious groups throughout history with a wide range of ideas. Assuming that god had done the hardwiring then it is strange that it included so many version of itself (something like 2,000 different gods over the years). Moves in mysterious ways i suppose?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here