Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand this view. We will have two first choice CBs out at some stage this season. If it stretches to three or four games it could potentially derail our season. We have two quality players for every other position, except Baldock's. we need four centre backs in total. Not three and an old man or an untried youngster if top two is the target.

1. We have Dunk, Goldson, Hunemeier and Bruno to cover.
2. We're losing £10mill + a season.
3. We've spunked £2-£3 mill on strikers from lower leagues that have never managed to score in this division yet with another £3 mill could go out and get a Vydra or Chris Martin that would definitely provide quality upfront.

Not having that key striker is what hurt us last season, and whilst we'll get more games from Murray than we did with Bobby we still need a man with a bit of pace up front.

If Bloom wants to spend money on Duffy then good luck to him, provided he brings in a decent forward first.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
3. We've spunked £2-£3 mill on strikers from lower leagues that have never managed to score in this division yet with another £3 mill could go out and get a Vydra or Chris Martin that would definitely provide quality upfront.

Not having that key striker is what hurt us last season, and whilst we'll get more games from Murray than we did with Bobby we still need a man with a bit of pace up front.

If Bloom wants to spend money on Duffy then good luck to him, provided he brings in a decent forward first.

If CH is looking for a CB and striker, as he has said he is, then TB must have agreed so we could well get both?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

What cost us last season was goals conceded not goals scored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Amended for you 2nd v Burnley and QPR plus 3rd v Middlesbro.

I can understand the 2nd v Burnley...but why the 3rd v Middlesborough? Why not the 2nd v QPR after Dunk was sent off? Why the 'Boro one over the others?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Alfie Mawson would be a better buy but I believe he's going to Sunderland to replace Kaboul.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
People seem to forget the 95th min equaliser for Bolton against us after being 2.0 up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can understand the 2nd v Burnley...but why the 3rd v Middlesborough? Why not the 2nd v QPR after Dunk was sent off? Why the 'Boro one over the others?

Technically the 3rd goal conceded against Boro kept us down and them promoted. A 2-0 would have seen us go up on goals scored. However had that result happened the final game at Boro could have been a lot different as the draw would have favoured us that's of course assuming every other game played out in exactly the same way it did after the 3-0.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Technically the 3rd goal conceded against Boro kept us down and them promoted. A 2-0 would have seen us go up on goals scored. However had that result happened the final game at Boro could have been a lot different as the draw would have favoured us that's of course assuming every other game played out in exactly the same way it did after the 3-0.

I can appreciate the one goal that was the difference, but I can't see why the Boro game would be the difference compared to other games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Both the Burnley and QPR goals caused us to lose 2 points and came as a result of our failure to deal with corners. The 3rd Middlesbro goal effectively stopped us getting promoted 1 more for us 1 less for them and we would have been promoted on goals scored.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can appreciate the one goal that was the difference, but I can't see why the Boro game would be the difference compared to other games.

There was no single moment that kept us down and not letting in goals late against Derby, QPR or Burnley would have also seen us promoted, but the 3rd goal Boro scored at the Amex takes on extra significance as it swung the goal difference in their favour by 2 goals, the two goals that effectively got them promoted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
or not having a squad in depth.

which is what this whole thread is effectively about.

We only suffered in one position by having two players injured, the no 1 and his back up and unfortunately CH didnt rate the 3rd alternative which wouldnt happen now as he has brought in Adekugbe as an option if needed,. Had he done the same and replaced Chicksen who knows but that is water under the bridge.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We only suffered in one position by having two players injured, the no 1 and his back up and unfortunately CH didnt rate the 3rd alternative which wouldnt happen now as he has brought in Adekugbe as an option if needed,. Had he done the same and replaced Chicksen who knows but that is water under the bridge.

Ah, you and the LB debate...again. Yet a-****ing-gain.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I didnt bring it up just pointed out the obvious reason for our failure to get promoted. But we appear to have learnt our lesson

I'm sorry, what?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

What about only having Hemed/Baldock/Wilson in the run in/play offs ? or having to play Kayal / Stephens in virtually every game ? It wasn't just full back options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here