Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherry's, Pink Coconut, Paradox etc......

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another 90's Brighton nightclub haunt for me was The Gloucester, now The North Laine pub. The toilets are in the same position as there were in The Gloucester days. Anyone know of the top of their head when The Gloucester closed?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was an event 2 man myself. Went in the parodox many times
But the event 2 was blinding. Mid to late 90's, dancing with Rosie Gains (let's get close fame) on stage. Then discovered the Escape and the Zap club and lost about 4 years of my memories. The one I do remember is Boy George in the Zap and a mate nicked his hat off his head when he was DJ'ing... He went ****ing MENTAL ����

Me too, many a Thursday and Friday night spent in the Event II. The Paradox was the first club I went to though. They had a night for 6th form students when I was at BHASVIC and you needed (fake) ID to get in to the bar area. I quite enjoyed it as The Paradox the few times I went, but it seemed pretty terrible once it turned into Creation.

I don't think too many people will miss it now.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes you certainly needed to keep your wits about you. Not all bad though choice of 3 meal and no veggie option in those days. How Brighton's changed....Is your handle Fulham related?

Ha Ha, no not the Fulham connection. Never thought of that one. Have a closer look at my Avatar. It's an album cover by the so called hard core troubador, Steve Earle. A man of 7 wives - so far. Remember Copperhead Road? Possibly one of the greatest living song writers in the last 50 years. Check out almost any of his umpteen albums.

Userone

Feb 1, 2017
Might be a strange question but I'm trying to find a person who worked at Sherry's in the mid-late 1970s, possibly as a barman. His name was Doug (Douglas I assume?) and surname was possibly spelt "Neame". Anyone haven't o know who I'm talking about? Thanks

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Brighton's first dance hall, opened as Sherry's in 1919, was a concert hall and ice rink before that. Mentioned in Graham Greene's novel Brighton Rock. Should be a listed building just for that. Shame to see a venue of fun and games in Btn for over 100 years under the developers axe. Never actually went in there, not my scene. Remember it as Sherry's in the 70's when I was sticking safety pins through my nose. More into seeing the Psychedelic Furs at Jenks, or the Clash at the Rank rather than avoiding head butts from the Pool Parlour lot in that gaff. Each to their own. Sad to see it go though. Glad the Quadrant survived the carve up in Air St. :whisky:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Great thread this!

I did a blog a couple of years ago about my main pubbing and clubbing years (1993 - 2001) and it was one of my most read articles.

Over the course of a month we would tend to have a fairly regular circuit of places we'd cover:

The Event (Event II from Spring 1995) on Tuesdays and Fridays. Cheap as chips booze..and Chips if you were peckish.

Paradox on Thursdays

Hungry Years (I stuck out like a sore thumb in there, but always found it a really friendly club).. Usually went there after leaving the Event on a Friday

Alleycats - funny little bar..always used to be showing The Empire Strikes Back on a big screen in there

The Quadrant - we owned the jukebox, and they played what we demanded

Pull and Pump - usually the first pub we went to. Always had a healthy dose of Absinthe, Tuaca or Aftershock upon departing. Broke up from the girl I lost my virginity to in the Pull.

Zap- only every went in there on a Monday for 80s night

Gloucester. Never left the place sober.

And always had either a Subway or Cheeky Chicken on the way home!

By and large we mostly avoided Saturday nights though. A different sort of punter went out on Friday nights and I always felt safe...whereas on Saturday there would be a ton of tossers who couldn't handle their shandies.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sherrys will always be synonymous with Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck for me as at a certain point every Saturday night it would get played with the usual audience participation.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sherrys I remember the go-go dancers and live bands and you had to have burger chips so you could drink till 2am brillant Thursday grab a granny night or hen party's and stags.The entrance was in I think ship street not West street.
Good old days and the top rank.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Sherrys I remember the go-go dancers and live bands and you had to have burger chips so you could drink till 2am brillant Thursday grab a granny night or hen party's and stags.The entrance was in I think ship street not West street.
Good old days and the top rank.

It was Middle Street.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As of today :cry:

BC70FC1A-B103-4E31-8EC4-2E0ED1748ADB.jpeg

I went there many a time during its three lives.

Sherry’s - a couple of times as 16 and 17 year olds. Really just as a place to carry on downing pints after pub closing times. Naive kids, better nights to come.

Pink Coconut - had membership cards, some great nights, alternating nights with the Suite, Coasters, Busbys and all the other smaller niche clubs. Also the gay Bolts nights on a Sunday with girlfriends ... incredible music.

Paradox - random visits, it seemed too packed.

Au revoir old fella. Good times were had by all.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
As of today :cry:

View attachment 137474

I went there many a time during its three lives.

Sherry’s - a couple of times as 16 and 17 year olds. Really just as a place to carry on downing pints after pub closing times. Naive kids, better nights to come.

Pink Coconut - had membership cards, some good times, alternating nights with the Suite, Coasters, Busbys and all the other smaller niche clubs. Also the gay Bolts nights on a Sunday with girlfriends ... incredible music.

Paradox - random visits, it seemed too packed.

Au revoir old fella. Good times were had by all.

Anyone know what they’re doing with the site?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Coasters 1985, aged 16. Went there for a few weeks but then stopped clubbing for years. Rory was the DJ, most remember him. He made the place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Coasters 1985, aged 16. Went there for a few weeks but then stopped clubbing for years. Rory was the DJ, most remember him. He made the place.

One of the greats was Rory, really nice bloke as well.

I was a glass collector at Sherry's as a 2nd job, superb for bird pulling (for those with a sensitive mind on phrases like this, **** off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here