Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

I see the Scottish MEP getting a standing ovation in his plea for the EU not to let down Scotland. Only a matter of time before the little british become the little english
The Scots are a proud nation and will not like that grovelling, sycophantic and damn right embarrassing act. What a sorry bunch of dead beats that parliament is.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You've eloquently made the real case for Brexit. Maybe you could have added that no-one knows wtf their MEP does or is supposed to do in their names, but that was a bonus point answer.

Ironically, it is a proportional representation system, which is what let UKIP and Farage in all those 17 years ago. I would have thought that was a triumph for democracy, rather than showing the EU as the undemocratic animal that many people mistakenly think it is.

And with another different point, if you don't like the system, you can always seek to change it rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water. As far as I am aware, we have never thought to do so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I used the word "childish" in conversation with my wife last night. While some are praising his heroics, it made me squirm. How to turn the other 26 against you when you are looking to negotiate a good exit.
Yes it would have been better for him to grow up. When Cameron won the general election, he didn't take the piss and laugh at those that voted Labour, he said he'd do his best for the whole country - as any PM would say.

No doubt he is working on the basis that they need us more than we need them, and he is wrong. Thank God others are more conciliatory.
Well I certainly don't mind him talking up the UK, I'll be more bothered if we are too conciliatory.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This is actually ANOTHER post without a point.

Square-post-brown-100mm.jpg

Oh I've made facts.. But that doesn't get answers... So I'll
Play your way

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Can someone lock him up until after we've done a deal. We're already up sh1t creek without a paddle, with Nige in the boat we will sink

Yesterday was feeling a bit of hope, today I've realised what a poor position we are in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that the polarised views on this thread alone show how Royally F@@@@@ we are as a nation. It will take decades to heal the divide, that's if it's possible at all.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Whether the result went for you or not, its time for the people of this country to abide by the democratic decision of the people of this country. I would like to see some leadership not only from politicians, but also from the leaders of industry. I have not been impressed by the likes of Richard Branson continually talking this country down. Its time to get on with life, stop watching or reading the news, its depressing and irrelevant to our daily lives and has been become unnecessarily devicive. Life in or out is the same for those who struggle with the real challenges in this life, such as accommodation, food and warmth. The politicans have shown their value by infighting because the publics vote has made them irrelevant, its time they started to earn their money by following the instruction they have been given, but don't doubt for one second their ability to invoke some sort of fudge a few months down the line.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ironically, it is a proportional representation system, which is what let UKIP and Farage in all those 17 years ago. I would have thought that was a triumph for democracy, rather than showing the EU as the undemocratic animal that many people mistakenly think it is.

And with another different point, if you don't like the system, you can always seek to change it rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water. As far as I am aware, we have never thought to do so.

This is an important point and it's actually why I see the EU as a stretching or dilution of democracy. It's just so far removed from the people they're making decisions for.
If you don't like something the government does in your own country you have many options to do something about it. You can put real pressure on people making the decisions and there's visible and accessible debate. We see it happening here every day - prosests in London, pressure in the media, people can meet their MP face to face and know they have the means and the power to help them.

The EU commission and parliament are just so inaccessible. It's easy to claim that we voted for our MEPs so it must be democratic, but that is just a cop out.
If the people of a member state don't like something what are they meant to do, all travel to Brussels for a protest? If you contact your MEP what can they do when they're one voice out of 750?

Roughly half of the European people who were asked voted against a constitution, so they re-badged it and didn't bother asking again, that is how they operate and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Democracy must be visible otherwise it's worthless, the EU is just moving the political class further and further away from the people they're supposed to be serving.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
tells the EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT a few home truth's :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: good on him i say a bit like telling some of the people on here a few home truths:clap2:
regards
DR

Farage is a man that actually had the chance to legitimately influence the European Parliament. Instead he racked up a shocking record of non-attendance at debates and votes. But was more than willing to take the money. As it stands he will soon have no power in the EP to go along with his zero power in the UK. Unfortunately he does have influence in the UK which pursuader people to vote leave. People that are going to be pretty pissed off when it dawns on them his post referendum influence also amounts to zero.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think that the polarised views on this thread alone show how Royally F@@@@@ we are as a nation. It will take decades to heal the divide, that's if it's possible at all.

If you exclude the pensioners who are mostly seem to be on another planet, its exposed the shocking social divide we have.

Football covers all walks of life and hence covers all views. Albion supporters were clearly IN voters, but over the country think fans would be OUT

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You mean he actually turned up to his highly paid job for once?

Oh, but he didn't do what he was supposed to do and try to improve matters for his electorate.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You mean he actually turned up to his highly paid job for once?

Oh, but he didn't do what he was supposed to do and try to improve matters for his electorate.
It was his leaving do.

Not sure many joined him in the pub.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When's Farage actually being made redundant? The European Parliament looks a far nicer place than a Job Centre Plus in my opinion.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
The guy is a total tool that outburst will really help with negotiations coming up

You really think there will be negotiations? If we invoke article 50 there will be no negotiations, the UK will be excluded from all future meetings. We will not be able to even control the timeline of our own exit. They could kick us out tomorrow with nothing or drag it out for generations. It's their choice. Democracy and the will of the people mean nothing to these dictates.
I'm all for stopping the payments NOW and see how long they want us around.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Right, I don't DO politics. I find all the debate very boring.

But as far as I can see it:

Man says, if you leave EU, we will pay £350m to NHS

People vote to get out the EU, man says "yeah, that's not happening. WHOOPSIE"

Man goes back to the EU and says "I told you we would leave"

Got it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You really think there will be negotiations? If we invoke article 50 there will be no negotiations, the UK will be excluded from all future meetings. We will not be able to even control the timeline of our own exit. They could kick us out tomorrow with nothing or drag it out for generations. It's their choice. Democracy and the will of the people mean nothing to these dictates.

Of course.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Right, I don't DO politics. I find all the debate very boring.

But as far as I can see it:

Man says, if you leave EU, we will pay £350m to NHS

People vote to get out the EU, man says "yeah, that's not happening. WHOOPSIE"

Man goes back to the EU and says "I told you we would leave"

Got it.

Despite not doing politics, you've summed it up quite well though. You'd get my vote.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
As far as I am aware, that is wrong.
When we invoke article 50 it starts the clock ticking on the 2 year winddown. If at the end of the 2 years no agreement is made, then we are not bound by any of the eu laws. It can only be extended if 27 other countries agree to extend it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here