Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't see you complain when ford shut their plant in Portsmouth and moved to Turkey using British tax payers money resulting in the loss of thousands of jobs.

Do you mean the Transit plant in Swaythling (Southampton)? There were thousands there in the 80s but that was down to about 400 when it closed a couple of years ago. Was a sad day, locally. I personally know four people who worked there (only one of them at the point it closed). This isn't Top Trumps though - whatever you think of the banking industry, YOU and I need the money they generate and the taxes they pay.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Give over.

The choice is: uproot your entire life including relationships, family, friends etc etc or lose your job.

It isn't about liking one place more than the other is it? Because a little over half the country voted for one thing over another a lot of people are at real risk of losing their livelihoods. Don't trivialise that. It's offensive and unnecessary.
Or it could be that Dublin/Frankfurt/Zurich/Paris dont have the amount of people with the necessary skills for all these major banks to relocate there , and they KNOW they will never get enough people to move to a dead and alive hole like Frankfurt and they were basically peddling scare stories in the hope of influencing the vote of people who will be taken in .If anything London AND other European financial centres will lose out to places like Hong Kong and Singapore as capital moves eastwards.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If it wasn't for Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling, the cashpoints would have run dry during the financial crisis and the banks would have pretty much brought about the end of civilisation as we know it. Everybody else in power in the western world, including the US, was paralysed with inaction until they took the lead.

It's a good story, which may even have a grain of truth somewhere, and it also occurred several years after his catastrophic raid on pensions. We won't mention gold either.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If it wasn't for Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling, the cashpoints would have run dry during the financial crisis and the banks would have pretty much brought about the end of civilisation as we know it. Everybody else in power in the western world, including the US, was paralysed with inaction until they took the lead.
If it wasnt for Brown and Darling doing EXACTLY what Mervyn King and the staff at the Bank Of England told them to do you mean, Brown was like a rabbit in the headlights and had to have his hand held all the way through, FACT .

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha - you daft plonka. "The banks would have pretty much brought about the end of civilisation as we know it." Dear god, listen to yourself.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Might get a seat on the train now

Sent by 2 old baked bean cans and a piece of string

Well, the one big contract we had for this summer has gone to shit overnight due to the exchange rate.

Everything signed, all production space allocated well in advance, now we go from 8% margins to a 1% loss.

So the quandary is, honour the contract but make an overall loss or terminate the contract and although no operating loss is incurred nothing at this short notice could be won to fill the gap, this in turn means I have staff doing nothing and still being paid.

F**king divs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's been denied, and I'd be surprised if any jobs move yet. Business will be waiting to see how EU negotiations pan out.
Yeah, that's exactly what they're doing where I work. We had an email round before the vote saying that in the event of Brexit the company would 'most probably' relocate its headquarters from the UK, then today we had another one saying the company was keeping an open mind and was going to 'wait and see' before deciding anything.

Despite the blackmail I still voted 'Leave'!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well, the one big contract we had for this summer has gone to shit overnight due to the exchange rate.

Everything signed, all production space allocated well in advance, now we go from 8% margins to a 1% loss.

So the quandary is, honour the contract but make an overall loss or terminate the contract and although no operating loss is incurred nothing at this short notice could be won to fill the gap, this in turn means I have staff doing nothing and still being paid.

F**king divs.

How come it suddenly turns into a loss overnight? What if the exchange rate recovers early next week? Do your contracts not factor in exchange rate?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For years I've been reading on NSC that the UK is too reliant on the financial and service industries. Every chancellor we've had is in the pocket of bankers who for the last few years have been viewed as the enemy by most.

Hopefully this situation will be a kick up the arse for the next chancellor and they will make and effort to build on what industry we have left and re-skill the workforce so it's in a position to trade with the rest of the world.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How come it suddenly turns into a loss overnight? What if the exchange rate recovers early next week? Do your contracts not factor in exchange rate?

Contracts are written so far in advance at times, and you can only go SO far to protect against currency fluctuations, without making yourself uncompetitive.

Quotes we produce will typically involve selling a package to a main contractor for works to take place 12-18 months in the future. The equipment involved would typically be a $20k device from the States, CHF 100k of equipment from Switzerland, and €20k or so of parts from Europe. Then we'll have shipping and customs costs to factor in, from all three places, and UK labour costs. If we assumed worst case on currency fluctuations on each of those, we'd never get another contract.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
For years I've been reading on NSC that the UK is too reliant on the financial and service industries. Every chancellor we've had is in the pocket of bankers who for the last few years have been viewed as the enemy by most.

Hopefully this situation will be a kick up the arse for the next chancellor and they will make and effort to build on what industry we have left and re-skill the workforce so it's in a position to trade with the rest of the world.

Exactly, lets train our youngsters into trades like builders, electricians, plumbers as well as nurses and doctors instead of importing cheap labour from abroad to do the job as cheap as they can.

They won't though will they.

And no, they don't. What I do is secure rates into overseas distribution networks on 60 day agreements, brokering if you will, I now have the choice of operating a loss or not operating at all until i renegotiate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha - you daft plonka. "The banks would have pretty much brought about the end of civilisation as we know it." Dear god, listen to yourself.

Cashpoints not paying out money in the city of your choice for the foreseeable? Yeah, that would have really ended well. Looting, curfews, martial law etc etc. It really wouldn't have taken much at that point to set the UK alight. And I don't just mean Croydon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here