Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we have had the vote
its out
its also called democracy

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This is't really relevant to the thread, but it seems as good a place as any to ask it.

If the election expenses case finds that all was not above board and it turns out the government were elected illegally, would that render this government and all that has happened under it null and void?

Just interested, as if this were the case it would mean that no referendum legally took place, right?

And if your Auntie had balls,she'd be your uncle.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
This is't really relevant to the thread, but it seems as good a place as any to ask it.

If the election expenses case finds that all was not above board and it turns out the government were elected illegally, would that render this government and all that has happened under it null and void?

Just interested, as if this were the case it would mean that no referendum legally took place, right?[/QUOTE

keep clutching at straws , why don't you

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It does make a bit of sense. I know this is democracy in full action, and as a remainer, I am not got going to go against the vote, nor do I advocate a second vote.

HOWEVER, I do find it odd that the country is going to plough ahead with such a monumental action when 48% of the voting nation have said they do not want it. And yes, I would be saying the same had the vote been the other way.
I must admit I tend to agree. I'm a Leaver, but itt was hardly a ringing cry for freedom was it? Still, it's a bit like our general elections where we get a government that most people DIDN'T vote for. The whole idea was stupid, but I really don't think it's all over yet. The vast majority of MPs are Remainers, and there is still a chance that Article 50 (which I understand is pretty vague) will get fudged and we'll probably end up with something that'll leave us worse off than if we hadn't gone through this whole farrago in the first place!

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
keep clutching at straws , why don't you

I think you've misunderstood, no clutching at straws here. I'm not speaking as a pro-remain or pro-leave, I'm asking if it turns out that the government should not have been the government, would the referendum still stand? If not, would we have to go through the agony of build up and the awful campaigns again, or would there be no referendum? Or would all that happened under the Tories since the GE carry on as before?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're forgetting that many are foreign and couldn't vote and more importantly many are children...we don't have 65 million adults that have the right to vote.
Dodgy Dave got around 34% in the general election and that's two thirds that didn't vote for him.
Just had the biggest turnout for 60 odd years...that's fabulous and thankfully the right result :)

PS, I also have some 12 years til I retire and, thanks to the " All in this Together " austerity of the last 6 years my wages have been cut right back and now my pension pot has just sunk in the Stock Exchange... I really hope that somehow we can become a global superpower, achieve 3-4% annual growth, ramp up the funding for the NHS ( as I'm getting a bit old and things are going to start to wear out soon, but , hey I have always been employed and paid my taxes so it's my turn.) and import as much cheap New Zealand Lamb as we can ( sorry Welsh Farmers !)and hope that I don't get laid off or my hours/earnings cut ( as obviously there is no union representation and soon to be no Working Right's Directives... hell I'm not afraid though... Boris has promised me The Promised Land.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My company buys it's stock from around the world in Dollars, the Pound /Dollar exchange rate has just gone down 12 Cents on day one since the vote, that's 8%.... I am getting near due for my annual pay review which might have got me a 1-2% increase....do you think that will happen now ?

I think you will find that you needed perhaps a 'Job Loss' to render any sympathy, I cannot tell if you are any good at what you do, how much you currently earn or how productive your work has been that's for your employers to answer and for you to ponder the effects of your own 1-2% salary rise or not, I wish you well, but why would your situation somehow invalidate this referendum and the desire of the people to vote to leave the EU ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The fact that 63%, i.e. the vast majority, of the electorate didn’t vote for Brexit, yet it’s going to happen anyway, just shows how stupid Dodgy Dave was in the first place to offer a referendum on the issue.

He should’ve had the balls to stick with his conviction. Now he has quite likely allowed the country to be royally screwed over, on the basis of what a minority (of which the vast majority of the countries racists belong to) of people want.

Not happy.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
See post no 151. The majority to change was too small. What would prople have said if the vote either way had won by only 1 vote.

If the result had been the other way round, the leave campaign would have been called sore losers and told to jog on. Democracy gives people a chance to have a say/vote, we may not always like the results we get, but thank god we don't leave with dictatorship. Just another point a referendum is a question put to voters, parliament does not have to invoke our departure from the EU, however that would bring us back to the question of democracy. Why give people a vote if you don't like the outcome. This is all a product of the conservatives desperation to win the last election.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think you will find that you needed perhaps a 'Job Loss' to render any sympathy, I cannot tell if you are any good at what you do, how much you currently earn or how productive your work has been that's for your employers to answer and for you to ponder the effects of your own 1-2% salary rise or not, I wish you well, but why would your situation somehow invalidate this referendum and the desire of the people to vote to leave the EU ?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but my point is that trade is incredibly interconnected....global markets and currency exchange are closely linked to jobs and their " Security " the vote for Brexit has and will cause huge volatility in the markets leading to crap times ahead for those of us " Boxer's ".... look it up, Orwell G : Animal Farm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here