Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'd rather disappear into global economic obscurity than challenge democracy, thank-you-very-much.

If this country is going to sink, I want to go down with our principles intact, like that nice band at the end of Titanic. It's been a pleasure playing with you, gentlmen.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
The additional 2 days to register to vote for 80 mins down time on government computer resulted in 2 million extra voters.They seemingly were not interested for months prior to the final 80 minutes.If you assume that the majority were for remain and should not have voted then the outcome was more likely to have been a 55/45 split to leave.
It is over and another vote will not happen.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It shouldn't surprise you. Just a few quotes from Brexiters in discussions I've had over the last week:

"I'm voting out because I don't want my grandchildren marrying those disgusting Muslims"
"The Poles can **** off"
"They come over here taking our jobs, our GP appointments, our housing, they can **** off back to their own country"
"You can call me a racist if you want, but I want those ***** to stop taking my jobs".

And that's without even beginning to discuss some of the shit that has come out of Farage's mouth.

Honestly, it is a very sad day to be British.
Like it or not, those that voted leave voted with the racists. It is basic common sense. Unless there was some work creation scheme where racists voted in so they had foreigners left to abuse, they all voted leave. Nick Griffin was leave. White Van man with his pitbull mouthing off about ******* P**is voted leave. Obviously not everyone who voted leave is racist but they are on the side of those who are.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On another point entirely. Having heard Nicola Sturgeon demanding a referendum mark 2 for Scotland independence from UK.

If they vote out and remain in the UK will we need to rebuild Hadrians wall to block mass migration from EU citizens finding another way in? :whistle::whistle:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The FTSE 100 is now recovering and down only 3.67% on the day. In contrast, the DAX is down 6.7% and the CAC 40 down 8.1%! The markets seem to think this decision is much worse for Germany and France than it is for the UK.

That can't be right-where are all the economy wizards when we need them?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Email from senior management team this morning. Strategic review starts Monday. Have been tipped off that our Dutch office has been looking at larger premises for the past month under the instruction senior directors in case of exit vote. Looks like it is a case of relocate to Holland or find a new job. Thanks a lot Brexit voters. Thanks Brexit voters!

Chill, have a shmoke and a pancake.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Interesting conversation with the brand director here at work. He's looking at it from a 'brand Britain' point of view, and whilst true that many on the right in Europe may well have enjoyed the Brexit vote, the centre and left, both in Europe and outside of Europe will be viewing Britain very negatively. We'll need to see how the Dow reacts at 2.30pm, and what the implications for change come October/November if Article 50 is invoked. Should that tip other economies into recession, the Britain will not be viewed positively by other nations. The media outside of the UK has carried stories of leaders advising Britain to remain in the Uk because the potential damage caused by leading could have ramifications for more than just Britain. At a time when we'll want to trade with the rest of the world, we'll also have to manage a damaged brand. I'm still assessing this position, but it was an interesting thought. It's just one of the challenges we'll have to find a way of surmounting as we move forward.

Have the evil Brexiters turned off your Tapatalk?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've never said that at all.
That's what comes across from your posts.
Personally, even IF things turn out well, that will not excuse taking the GAMBLE with our nations' prosperity, security or international relations.
Wow, what nonsense. You don't think people should even have a choice.

You thought politicians always told the truth :eek:
Why bother having a parliament?
Why don't we just have a referendum on every decision?

I'll tell you why - because the public aren't informed of all the arguments, they don't have the facts at hand. This was a big decision and it was made amidst a campaign of fear-mongering, bigotry and mistruths on all sides.
Most of us (Mustafa aside) don't want to have to micro-manage our country. We like to choose a government that will make the majority of the decisions. On this occasion we chose a government that would let us make this decision.

The decision isn't what you want, so suddenly it's democracy to blame :facepalm:

Apart from anything else, now that we've had a referendum, the EU have us over a barrel when it comes to negotiation. They know we can't repeal that vote, so we have to leave under any circumstances. We are going to be slaughtered.
What utter nonsense. If our leader has your weak defeatist mindset, then yes, we're in trouble, but a strong leader would simply refuse a deal that's not right for the UK, and if the EU say no deal, the whole EU will collapse. Obviously the EU don't want that, and they'd do a deal.

Not that this will bother Boris. He's a multi millionaire and now he's going to run the country. Great work everybody.
So you didn't get your way :cry:

Yes, I,m well aware that in General Elections, politicians tell you what they want to do and sometimes/often fail to carry out those policies. The answer is to tackle your MP in his constituency or vote him OUT 5 years later.

This "In/Out" vote was final if we voted Out. We needed the truth, not a web of lies and deceit.

We cannot now 'change our minds'.....huge difference.
It's still politics! That's how politics work, did you really think they'd all stop and say 'oh, wait a minute, this time we'll tell the truth and lose on purpose'?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You do know that most businesses in this industry offer the living wage or above, and all of them offer the minimum wage. The Poles aren't coming in and working for nothing! They're doing jobs that people in our country don't want to do because the benefits system has been much more appealing to them for the last 20 years.

yes it is minimum wage work but that is hugely attractive to people from Eastern Europe hence it will always be minimum wage work. Same applies throughout the economy. There is a huge imbalance between the rewards of capital and the rewards of labour at the moment which is why ordinary people do not feel the benefits of headline figures such as GDP. The benefit system is another topic and I think that your generalization about benefit culture is a little wide of the mark.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Like it or not, those that voted leave voted with the racists. It is basic common sense. Unless there was some work creation scheme where racists voted in so they had foreigners left to abuse, they all voted leave. Nick Griffin was leave. White Van man with his pitbull mouthing off about ******* P**is voted leave. Obviously not everyone who voted leave is racist but they are on the side of those who are.

There are racists who shop in Tesco's. Do you shop in Tesco's ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That claim was made by the official brexit campaign, which Farage was not part of. He is commenting on a claim that he did not make. There is no evidence that it was, or will turn out to be, untrue.
So much hysteria on here today from the remainers.

This may be so but he didn't critisise or extinguish the claim during the campaign. He quietly ran with it and left the lie to be told as the truth. Regardless of who made the claim though, it was very deceptive on such a strong point and we don't know how many millions of votes were won over on that false info.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's what comes across from your posts.
Most of us (Mustafa aside) don't want to have to micro-manage our country. We like to choose a government that will make the majority of the decisions. On this occasion we chose a government that would let us make this decision.

The decision isn't what you want, so suddenly it's democracy to blame :facepalm:
We chose a government that gambled that the British people wouldn't be hateful and dumb enough to vote for exit, in an effort to stave off UKIP from eating into it's support. But as you can see from the idiots who consider job losses merely collateral damage, never underestimate the spite of the average simpleton. I'm not going to deny that plenty of people (including your good self) have voted pragmatically and sensibly but differing from my own view, but there is a rump of people who voted for all the wrong reasons. I think my analogy with a referendum on capital punishment is a fair one. Loads of people who read the paper about various cases where justice isn't served severely enough will conclude that that the only way to sort this out is to vote yes to capital punishment. Then their son gets sent to the gallows for something they didn't do and brings that decision sharply back into focus.

What utter nonsense. If our leader has your weak defeatist mindset, then yes, we're in trouble, but a strong leader would simply refuse a deal that's not right for the UK, and if the EU say no deal, the whole EU will collapse. Obviously the EU don't want that, and they'd do a deal.
The only nonsense being spouted here is yours. "if the EU say no deal, the whole EU will collapse". That right there is the stupidest thing you've ever said. I'm not going to even begin to explain why that is a crock of sh*t.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That can't be right-where are all the economy wizards when we need them?

And the FTSE is now down only 2.5% on the day, back to where it was 4 weeks ago. In fact, back to where it was last week! It seems meltdown has miraculously been avoided.
I'm sure George Soros and the other doom mongers have been buying big on the dip this morning.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Really?
Why bother having a parliament? Why don't we just have a referendum on every decision?

I'll tell you why - because the public aren't informed of all the arguments, they don't have the facts at hand.

The lack of political engagement is due in part to the poor representation by politicians. We have just had a referendum where 72% of the electorate have voted, which is much more than any general election. This referendum is the closest thing to democracy I have ever seen in this country, a binary choice and a definitive result. Just because you feel people are ill informed shouldn't taint your opinion on what is democratic or is not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here