Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Oh dear. Brexiters getting more and more uncomfortable, nervous and aggressive as it starts to become apparent across all major news sources that no government in any form wants to initiate article 50 and very likely the referendum is now going to be vetoed. This could turn for the better after all. Fingers crossed, it becomes more likely by the hour.

Yeah totally agree, i'm beginning to suspect that Boris hasn't got the balls for what's ahead now, maybe he hoped for a narrow defeat pushing him to the fore front of Tory consciousness for a future battle? Corbyn could not contain his Euro scepticism even though it went against the party line and the net result is a country in turmoil with no leaders or friends. Long term I suppose the right may gain after galvanising the masses with a ridiculous mandate around 'getting your country back' & 'increased border controls' because we are 'being over run' . Today though i'm more hopeful, it does indeed appear that initiating article 50 is more problematic than at first glance, Scotland also appear to be thinking more about this than our anonymous MP's who are considering their futures behind closed doors, or playing cricket in Boris' case. Welcome to Great Britain!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Regardless of the referendum, we are all UNITED on loving the Albion, and in the belief that Stevie Coppell does indeed had a sexually transmitted disease.

Amen!

Personally I'm looking forward to the board being full of "Ibrahimovic spotted eating a tuna melt at Subway on North Street" and "We've missed out on Murray. Again!" and "Hughton has to go" etc etc

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's a piece of cake. I normally mention number 1 and 2, then 'pretend' a male student in the front row has said something. I go over to him, lean down as if he has whispered in my ear, and come out with number 4 in mock shock as if it has just been told to me.

I'm amazed anyone fell for number 3 TBH.

Well number 3 is all I have read today from women on Facebook but yes, ok then. A fine solution to number 4 I must say.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Now is the time to be pro Europe! It's only the EU we voted to leave, we still love our European neighbours and we need to show them :love:

Just because we don't agree with the direction of EU politics doesn't mean we want to close our borders.

Agree 100%.

"Inward facing", "Insular" etc were all words placed in the mouths of those who wanted to leave the EU Political Union, by Remainers who wanted to demagogue the other side. We will always be an outward facing and open nation, I wanted us to leave the EU Political Union, but I love Europe, it's countries, cultures and people. It was always just a question of the nature of our relationship with them. Voluntary not coercive.

Good post.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
One of the Brexit MPs has come out and said they don't have a plan

I would have a plan-get on with Article 50.....the longer they wait the more it could play in to UKIPs hands..

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They can't remain only apply if they become independent, which the feeling at present in Scotland will not be any time soon. Currently our passports are European union anyway. And visas are you serious?

If the Scots apply for EU status there will not be much red tape because they qualify for the EU having already been, and are currently compliant to the EU. Scotland isn't like Turkey who have been begging to join the EU for decades.

Will Euro members need visa's to work in England? I don't know how this will work now that leaving fundamentally compromises freedom of movement for EU members. If we require visa's why wouldn't the opposite apply to us?

If we decide that we will stick with the freedom of movement, then we haven't really left the EU. :mad:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Expert: No new EU referendum

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1458...um_and_no_independence_for_Brighton_and_Hove/

A petition signed by more than 2.8 million people calling for a new EU referendum has no chance of reversing this week's historic vote to leave, Britain's foremost elections expert has said.

Professor John Curtice, whose exit poll was the only one to predict the Conservatives would win last year's general election, said the referendum was so divisive within mainstream political parties and their supporters that it would be unlikely to form a campaigning issue for some time - let alone spark another public vote.

Thursday's referendum saw 17.4 million (51.9%) votes cast to leave the EU, compared with 16.1 million (48.1%) for remaining part of the bloc, with a turnout of 72.2%, according to the Electoral Commission.

In response, more than 2.8 million people have signed an online petition calling for the Government to implement a rule that "if the Remain or Leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75%, there should be another referendum".

Prof Curtice said: "It's no good people signing the petition now, they should have done it before. Even then, these petitions don't always mean a great deal.

"It has passed the 100,000 mark for it to be debated in Parliament. All that means is that some MPs will say, 'It's a terrible shame', others will say, 'Hallelujah'. Then that's the end of it."

Almost 160,000 people also signed a separate petition on the Change.org website, calling on new London mayor Sadiq Khan to declare the capital independent from the UK and apply to join the European Union.

A less well-supported petition on the Change.org website include a similar plea for Brighton and Hove to become a member state of the EU.

The clamour to add signatures to the Government website-hosted petition comes amid dissatisfaction from voters who wanted the country to remain part of the union while anecdotes began to emerge from those who said they regretted voting to leave.

The poll resulted in David Cameron announcing his resignation as Prime Minister while the pound slumped to its weakest level for three decades.
Apparantly if this petition gets 23 million signatures ( ie over half the electorate ) all bets are off.

Of course it won't get anywhere near that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the Scots apply for EU status there will not be much red tape because they qualify for the EU having already been, and are currently compliant to the EU. Scotland isn't like Turkey who have been begging to join the EU for decades.

Will Euro members need visa's to work in England? I don't know how this will work now that leaving fundamentally compromises freedom of movement for EU members. If we require visa's why wouldn't the opposite apply to us?

If we decide that we will stick with the freedom of movement, then we haven't really left the EU. :mad:

You are joking. Not much red tape. Scotland will be a new self governing country splitting firstly from the EU with the UK then splitting from the UK then applying for membership. They will be net contributors by some way, not sure the other members will want another failing economy.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Possible fraud in the petition, surprise, surprise!

fraud.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Shitloads of room maaaate.

Go to Perth, place is chockers with Poms!

That's marvellous,good on you.Have to start a petition now to revive assisted passage.A lot of 'em will be useless types like economists and pollsters,but even they should make good cleaners.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Expert: No new EU referendum

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1458...um_and_no_independence_for_Brighton_and_Hove/

A petition signed by more than 2.8 million people calling for a new EU referendum has no chance of reversing this week's historic vote to leave, Britain's foremost elections expert has said.

Professor John Curtice, whose exit poll was the only one to predict the Conservatives would win last year's general election, said the referendum was so divisive within mainstream political parties and their supporters that it would be unlikely to form a campaigning issue for some time - let alone spark another public vote.

Thursday's referendum saw 17.4 million (51.9%) votes cast to leave the EU, compared with 16.1 million (48.1%) for remaining part of the bloc, with a turnout of 72.2%, according to the Electoral Commission.

In response, more than 2.8 million people have signed an online petition calling for the Government to implement a rule that "if the Remain or Leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75%, there should be another referendum".

Prof Curtice said: "It's no good people signing the petition now, they should have done it before. Even then, these petitions don't always mean a great deal.

"It has passed the 100,000 mark for it to be debated in Parliament. All that means is that some MPs will say, 'It's a terrible shame', others will say, 'Hallelujah'. Then that's the end of it."

Almost 160,000 people also signed a separate petition on the Change.org website, calling on new London mayor Sadiq Khan to declare the capital independent from the UK and apply to join the European Union.

A less well-supported petition on the Change.org website include a similar plea for Brighton and Hove to become a member state of the EU.

The clamour to add signatures to the Government website-hosted petition comes amid dissatisfaction from voters who wanted the country to remain part of the union while anecdotes began to emerge from those who said they regretted voting to leave.

The poll resulted in David Cameron announcing his resignation as Prime Minister while the pound slumped to its weakest level for three decades.

I'm not talking about the ridiculous petition. A LOT, LOT more to it than a petition.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have checked the media. Can you provide any instances where credible politicians are suggesting this may be the case? There is no way there will be another referenda and people need to understand that everyone feels twitchy in that we are on completely new ground. It will take a while for things to settle down.

I'm not talking about another ref, I'm talking about the idea that no politician is going to activate article 50

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm not talking about another ref, I'm talking about the idea that no politician is going to activate article 50

Farage will..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here