Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salde in!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This thread has it all - BG talking nonsense, BG writing stuff that is incorrect then saying he 'accepts that' rather than acknowledging his mistake! (Bloom's first move was in fact to HIRE Slade not sack him). BG writing a sentence wrong by forgetting one word so it completely changed what he meant to say. BG name calling... And to top it off.... The customary BG fuc*ing up the quotes so the rest of the thread reads like sh*t :lol: just brilliant :clap2:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This thread has it all - BG talking nonsense, BG writing stuff that is incorrect then saying he 'accepts that' rather than acknowledging his mistake! (Bloom's first move was in fact to HIRE Slade not sack him). BG writing a sentence wrong by forgetting one word so it completely changed what he meant to say. BG name calling... And to top it off.... The customary BG fuc*ing up the quotes so the rest of the thread reads like sh*t :lol: just brilliant :clap2:

textbook BG :lolol:
He's still one of my favourite posters on here though, give as good as he gets!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It would appear that I am mixed up but I thought that it was DK last action to appoint RS in March 2009. As many have pointed out TB sacked him as he wasnt his choice in November 2009 I will admit that when TB took over as chairman in May 2009 he extended RS contract which was until the end of the season. Having avoided relegation with us he couldnt do much else but soon realised RS limitations and sacked him less than 6 months into the next season. That, however doesnt alter the fact that IMHO he is a good low order manager who will get the best out of a limited squad with next to no budget so as I said he should do well at Charlton.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
As I said every team that he ,managed were in the lower divisions in fact in 2008/9 we finished 16th, not awe inspiring We are now a championship side so it could be argued that were one in the making when he was here although it was over a year later before we were promoted. His record as a manager is lower and he has achieved less than MA but you being the font of all knowledge on BHA wouldnt appreciate that. I dont know why we need other supporters with opinions when we have you to provide all the answers.

Are you seriously blaming Russell Slade for the fact we finished 16th in the 2008-2009 season? Are you not aware of the position he inherited when he took over in March?...We were almost certainties for relegation and the fact we did end up in 16th is nothing short of a miracle.

As for Mickey Adams, you are probably right in saying overall he has achieved more than Slade, but you need appreciate it was Adams' mess that left us in the in the shit first place which Slade had to clear-up.

Russell was clearly not a Tony Bloom choice which is why he was only given a 2 year contract...Where do you ever hear of that? New managers usually get 3 years as a minimum and it was pretty clear the second we started to lose form Slade would be out, allowing Bloom to appoint his own man.

Anyway, good luck to him at Charlton and he will need it as I fear their off-field issues will overshadow things somewhat.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I totally agree - He did better than I anticipated he would do. That said, you have to wonder why Cardiff replaced him with what was essentially his assistant in Paul Trollope.

When Managers get sacked, you seldom see that unless it happens part way through the season and the assistant does well in an interim period in charge.. I am really pleased for Paul that he got the Cardiff job but Russell Slade comes across well in interviews, so he seems quite a likeable bloke as well.
Russell Slade is a great bloke and one of football's good guys. I don't think he has really failed anywhere and it seems he's generally taken tricky jobs.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Won't be an easy job for him with all the problems behind the scenes at Charlton. However, probably for the first time, the owners have made a good decision in appointing Slade. An experienced manager who knows the lower leagues well rather than some no mark from Belgium who hasn't the first idea of what is required to be successful in the Football League.

Good luck to him. I hope and also think he will stabilise Charlton next season.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
have cardiff appointed a new man yet.....i heard a whisper it was going to be bellamy...!!
Paul Trollope was appointed a while back, so unless more weirdness is incoming from the Cardiff owner Bellamy might have to wait.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It would appear that I am mixed up but I thought that it was DK last action to appoint RS in March 2009. As many have pointed out TB sacked him as he wasnt his choice in November 2009 I will admit that when TB took over as chairman in May 2009 he extended RS contract which was until the end of the season. Having avoided relegation with us he couldnt do much else but soon realised RS limitations and sacked him less than 6 months into the next season. That, however doesnt alter the fact that IMHO he is a good low order manager who will get the best out of a limited squad with next to no budget so as I said he should do well at Charlton.

Dick Knight appointed Russell Slade as manager in March 2009, until the end of the season, he then got a new contract a couple of weeks before Tony Bloom officially took over. Although I would expect Bloom was the one who okay'd the contract as it would have been known at board level that Bloom was about to take over and nothing would have been done without his approval.

You say Slade is a lower league manager, but he's only ever once managed in the Championship, with Cardiff, and in his first season finished 11th, while tasked with reducing the wage bill following relegation from the Premier League. He lost 7 first team players in his first 3 months in charge and suffered from the bad management and over spending in the Malky Mackay era. He then took them to 8th, despite being hit with a transfer embargo in January. He's done bloody well at Cardiff in very difficult circumstances, and has been harshly treated with his "move upstairs", it was basically constructive dismissal. He's being blamed for the massive drop in attendances when I think it's more the boards fault for their overspend in chasing the PL dream and not being able to sustain it when getting relegated and having to cut costs and get rid of the bigger wage earners and bring in lesser players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dick Knight appointed Russell Slade as manager in March 2009, until the end of the season, he then got a new contract a couple of weeks before Tony Bloom officially took over. Although I would expect Bloom was the one who okay'd the contract as it would have been known at board level that Bloom was about to take over and nothing would have been done without his approval.

You say Slade is a lower league manager, but he's only ever once managed in the Championship, with Cardiff, and in his first season finished 11th, while tasked with reducing the wage bill following relegation from the Premier League. He lost 7 first team players in his first 3 months in charge and suffered from the bad management and over spending in the Malky Mackay era. He then took them to 8th, despite being hit with a transfer embargo in January. He's done bloody well at Cardiff in very difficult circumstances, and has been harshly treated with his "move upstairs", it was basically constructive dismissal. He's being blamed for the massive drop in attendances when I think it's more the boards fault for their overspend in chasing the PL dream and not being able to sustain it when getting relegated and having to cut costs and get rid of the bigger wage earners and bring in lesser players.

A cynic may suggest that DK giving RS an extended contract was a final act of defiance especially as there doesnt appear to be too much love lost between DK and TB. I am not a cynic though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

BensGrandad said:
A cynic may suggest that DK giving RS an extended contract was a final act of defiance especially as there doesnt appear to be too much love lost between DK and TB. I am not a cynic though.

BINGO! I only needed a sly dig at Bloom and Knight for the Full House! What do I win?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BINGO! I only needed a sly dig at Bloom and Knight for the Full House! What do I win?

How is that a dig at either as it is an acknowledged fact that they didnt see eye to eye on many issues I did also say a cynic might suggest that but I am not a cynic. Both would do or have done what they considered to be in the best interests of the Albiion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here