Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC warning to English fans dressing as crusaders - offensive to Muslims.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wikipedia has his origin as either Roman or Greek.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

He also predated the Crusades by about 800 years, so dressing as St George does not equate to the Crusades.

But anybody who can't see that things about the Crusades, which were not the finest hour of the Western world, might be (and I said might be, not would be) offensive to Muslims is an insensitive clod..... or quite possibly far worse. People of one faith trying to wipe out people of another faith.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Although the Crusades were not a particularly nice part of our history, the association with those outfits now is with St. George and supporting England. Rightly or wrongly, I think of England fans when I see pictures like the above, rather than the Crusades or the actions of the Crusaders.

If a group of people wearing those costumes were to march against a Mosque, then that would be another matter.

The issue has been raised, discussed, and I think most agree that these costumes are not worn to cause offence, and are most likely not going to be taken offensively.

That's all far too sensible to be on here........ but well said.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Whilst we understand why they wear these outfits, I can only hope that some unemployed, poor, possibly ill educated French Muslim youth led down the wrong path by ********s also see the funny/insignificant side during the Euro's.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He also predated the Crusades by about 800 years, so dressing as St George does not equate to the Crusades.

But anybody who can't see that things about the Crusades, which were not the finest hour of the Western world, might be (and I said might be, not would be) offensive to Muslims is an insensitive clod..... or quite possibly far worse. People of one faith trying to wipe out people of another faith.
It was a thousand years ago you buffoon :tosser:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's like telling Danish fans not to wear horned helmets... the memories of all that rape and pillage.... shudder.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
St George was circa 300, the crusades 1100ish.
yes , as i said , give or take a bit, a thousand years ago, or are you that desperate to correct me that you are blinded to the fact that the pertinent part of the post i commented on was the crusades?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But you corrected, & called a buffoon, David, who said 800 years.
Which he was correct about , i was commenting on his desperation to avoid offending muslims about events that occurrred a thousand f**king years ago :facepalm:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
IMG_20160607_212143.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Having read the article linked above AND the BBC one, I have to say, what a load of old bollards. The BBC isn't 'warning' anyone to do (or not do) anything! In fact, any sort of 'warning' is more obviously coming from the Heart website story, which has selectively taken a potentially controversial section and used it out of context.

'Offensive' is this type of 'reporting', plus the fact that those dudes aren't even drinking ENGLISH beer....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here