Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boats arriving on south coast

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This may have been in jest but is a real possible solution. Get the pensioners out with their flasks and sandwiches and get them to sit on the sea front deckchairs looking out for any boats. If they see anything ring the authorities.

The only downside that I can see is that they may nod off in the sun.

They may of course have to man their posts overnight, so will probably fall asleep then!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Now, the south coast is never going to resemble the beaches of Greece, but I am surprised by the blasé attitude displayed by the majority of posters so far.

yes the hilarity being bandied about is quite baffling.......ignorance , apathy or denial i can't work out which...??

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Whilst attempting to cross The Channel in a dingy is utter madness, if just a few succeed in crossing or in being rescued and brought to shore, then all hell will break loose.
In the busiest shipping lane in the world as well.
Cannot end well.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I do struggle to fathom why they're so desperate to get to our overcrowded island that they'll take such risks.

It was reported that they were Albanians paying thousands of pounds for the service .

If they had waited a couple of years then there is a good chance that Albania would be an EU member anyway so therefore they would be perfectly entitled to travel here and claim their benefits and Council houses .

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If a parent thinks his children would be safer in a rubber dingy for hours on end with 60% chance of survival rather than stay in the country that child and the parents were born then i would think that they have come to the end of their tether and feel this is a last resort for themselves and their children , put yourself in their position , i cant even imagine what these people must be going through .

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
This has been happening for years. Those secluded bays around the south east have been used for smuggling for centuries. Now its people that are being brought in!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If a parent thinks his children would be safer in a rubber dingy for hours on end with 60% chance of survival rather than stay in the country that child and the parents were born then i would think that they have come to the end of their tether and feel this is a last resort for themselves and their children , put yourself in their position , i cant even imagine what these people must be going through .
I don't think the 'pull up the drawbridge' brigade are capable of that.

Moan about walking to Falmer train station and being inconvenienced by waiting.
While bemoaning those who have walked from Syria.

(yes I know I'm being platitudinous but FFS anyone would think it was commonplace to run from your home and cross an entire continent looking for safety).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
porus borders will do for dave
will be the final straw that breaks the camels back (excuse the pun)
bye dave :wave:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

What were the people from Albania going through that were on the boat ? I am not up to date with the situation there.

It's not that rough in France?surely?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
What were the people from Albania going through that were on the boat ? I am not up to date with the situation there.

Only they know why they paid some Britons to smuggle them illegally into the country.

#NiceLittleEarner

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
The welfare bill will become unstainable before long. It went up by £8 billion last year. By 2020 we'll have to take in 500k refugees from Europe as the EU are changing the rules and will force us to take our share as Germany expects another 6 million middle east migrants by 2020. Don't worry as Dave and George will save billions by hitting our disabled people to fund their free meal tickets.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

They were on a pilgrimage to visit famous Norman Wisdom locations and were on their way to the site of the Goldstone Ground.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
(yes I know I'm being platitudinous but FFS anyone would think it was commonplace to run from your home and cross an entire continent looking for safety).

Why is most of Europe not safe for those fleeing surely once they are out of the war zone and in a safe haven the need to continue to flee stops and therefore there is no requirement to even think about crossing the channel

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Is France that awful?

Well it is full of French people! Seriously though money needs to be put into controlling all of our borders and scanning every lorry which comes here for illegal entrants. We need to get the message across that this isn't the land of milk and honey by restricting benefits and privileges to those who come here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here