Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I loved Glenn Murray when he played for us. I didn't even hate him all that much when he played for Them, as he never once gave it the big one when he scored against us, even though he'd had dogs' abuse all match.

If you'd asked me whether I'd have been keen on Albion signing a deal with him last summer, or last January, I'd have been all over it. He might have made the difference that would have got us a point more than Boro.

Now, I'm just not so sure. We're already in clear out mode, with a few genuine heroes, along with a few bits of deadwood going out of the door. The club has to look forward, and to make sure there's not a hangover from our near miss this season. Murray's a very decent striker, but at 32 he probably doesn't represent the future, nor an investment opportunity for the club.

If they did sign him, I'd be fine with it, of course. But I don't find myself really wishing for it to happen like I might have done in the past. And I certainly don't see him as a main striker these days.

Spot on Edna, I couldn't have written it better myself, my feelings exactly.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Given the lack of emergency loans next season, the club need to look at options of 4 strikers who they believe they will be available for a cumulative of c 140 games (so they have at least 3 available per game)

Save the knee injury and the poorly treated hwrnia, Murray has been fairly injury free but is ageing

Baldock has injury concerns

Hemed seems quite sturdy regarding injury

What we can't have is a zamora situation of good player but not available enough

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A loan in January may well have been a good quick fix, but it didn't happen for whatever reason, so we move on.

Signing him now he would presumably be wanting a two, or even a three, year contract, and I don't see that as building for the future.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
9 months ago Eddie Howe took a look at Glenn Murray and decided he was worth £4 million on a 3 year deal, and this is a Premier League club. Eddie Howe is a good manager.

Glenn hasn't played much football since them. Therefore, if you can get a player like him on a free you've got to bring him in. He knows the club, he lives in the area, he'll hit the ground running and I'd back him to score 1 in 3 next season.

For every Ulloa there is a David Rodriguez, it's unlikely we'll be able to pull off another coup like Leo - possible, but unlikely.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
9 months ago Eddie Howe took a look at Glenn Murray and decided he was worth £4 million on a 3 year deal, and this is a Premier League club. Eddie Howe is a good manager.

Glenn hasn't played much football since them. Therefore, if you can get a player like him on a free you've got to bring him in. He knows the club, he lives in the area, he'll hit the ground running and I'd back him to score 1 in 3 next season.

For every Ulloa there is a David Rodriguez, it's unlikely we'll be able to pull off another coup like Leo - possible, but unlikely.

This is a Premier League team with untold riches and barmy owners. They can afford to lose big money on one player. We can't.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I often wonder whether Howe bought him to play and score for them or stop him scoring for his opponents in a possible relegation battle.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a Premier League team with untold riches and barmy owners. They can afford to lose big money on one player. We can't.

I wouldn't say they have "untold riches". I fancy Howe bought him partly as a Plan B in case they got relegated and if forced to sell Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson he'd have a decent Championship striker under contract.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I cannot think of a player who could fill BZ shoes better than GM but then I am not part of the recruitment team.

I certainly wouldn't complain if he came here, I hold nothing against him (or indeed any player, wherever they've been), but given CHs track record, I suspect he may have other thoughts in mind, but we'll see.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I wouldn't say they have "untold riches". I fancy Howe bought him partly as a Plan B in case they got relegated and if forced to sell Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson he'd have a decent Championship striker under contract.

They're now in the top 40 richest clubs in the world.
Maybe. Doesn't really compare to our situation then.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I cannot think of a player who could fill BZ shoes better than GM but then I am not part of the recruitment team.

The difference being, of course, that Bobby was a free agent, Murray is one year into an expensive three(?) year deal. I suspect too that his wage demands would exceed BZ's (no evidence for this, just a gut feeling), and of course B'muff would want a substantial portion of their £4 million quid back.
If CH wants him, and a deal can be struck, I'm not going to argue about it - they know their business far far better than I do! - but I wouldn't be hugely excited. Nothing like the emotional impact of the return of Zamora!

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
The difference being, of course, that Bobby was a free agent, Murray is one year into an expensive three(?) year deal. I suspect too that his wage demands would exceed BZ's (no evidence for this, just a gut feeling), and of course B'muff would want a substantial portion of their £4 million quid back.
If CH wants him, and a deal can be struck, I'm not going to argue about it - they know their business far far better than I do! - but I wouldn't be hugely excited. Nothing like the emotional impact of the return of Zamora!

Rumoured that Bournemouth are willing to let him go on a free and Fulham happy to pick up his £30k pw

Sorry if that has already been posted. I've felt a couple of times though over the last 4 years we were a Murray away from promotion....

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Paper talk Fulham, QPR & Reading in for him
on about 30k a week. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but had we signed him on loan in Jan!!!
When Boro signed Rhodes for £10m that probably was the difference of going straight up and not.
Would Murray improve us next season....yes, sign him up!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Paper talk Fulham, QPR & Reading in for him
on about 30k a week. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but had we signed him on loan in Jan!!!
When Boro signed Rhodes for £10m that probably was the difference of going straight up and not.
Would Murray improve us next season....yes, sign him up!

- Club did try and sign him but a deal couldn't be done
- Given the difference was 2 goals across a total of 46 games you could pinpoint literally anything and say "that was the difference" but yep who knows.
- As we only have 2 first team strikers on the books then Murray would improve us but then so would dozens of other strikers who might be younger, have better sell on value, be better vfm etc but of course he'd be a valuable addition.
- Hemed scored more goals since January than any other player in the division. including Rhodes and Gray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here