Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chris Hughton mind games?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
3 hours ago
TonyNardone
Absolute rubbish from hughton. It just happens Boro has the best chairman in the land, who knows exactly what he's doing, and if i was him i wouldn't be that confident his team is going to roll over Boro. We're in the box seat not him. They won't be coming away from the Riverside rejoicing. you can bank on that one.

1 hour ago
DAVEGUY
He's right we spent big and have best squad in league. So f***
Get behind them and send that town full of rent boys back to the beach

:rolleyes:
To be absolutely fair, they are the 'Championship Galacticos'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2 million - I didn't include him in the starting 11 because he only gets 5 mins here or there.

If you want subs.
Well we have to pay for our players whether they're in the starting 11 or not, so of course we include them. We also have to include wages.

I'm sure you're well aware that Middlesbrough have blown FFP out of the water. Don't take it personally, I don't image that's your fault, but of course it's irritating to those who stay within the rules.

burnleyfan57

Apr 13, 2016
We didn't pay £9 million for Gray. It was £6 million. And that has now been covered by the Danny Ings fee of £6.5 million!

Out of the top three clubs we are the only ones in profit in our transfer dealings as we've spent less than we made in fees.

Shackell sold for £4 million
Trippier sold for £3.5 million
Ings sold for £6.5 million

Bought Lowton £1 million
Darikwa £600k
Tarkowski £3 million
Gray £6 million

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We didn't pay £9 million for Gray. It was £6 million. And that has now been covered by the Danny Ings fee of £6.5 million!

Out of the top three clubs we are the only ones in profit in our transfer dealings as we've spent less than we made in fees.

Shackell sold for £4 million
Trippier sold for £3.5 million
Ings sold for £6.5 million

Bought Lowton £1 million
Darikwa £600k
Tarkowski £3 million
Gray £6 million

So you have played your premiership moneys + parachute payments cards very well - congratulations. And I believe you still have a large cash fund (£30m profit did I read somewhere???) from which you could've drawn if needed? But it doesn't get away from the fact that overall you have an expensively assembled squad, that you retained many of your players from your last sojourn into the PL (presumably on PL salaries) and that, on this basis alone, you should be walking this league instead of embroiled in a 3 way tussle with overspending 'Boro and little old B&HA!!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Stockdale £1m
Bruno free
Dunk youth
Goldson £600k
Rosenior free
Knockaert £1.8m
Kayal £350k
Stephens £800k
Skalak £2m
Hemed £1m
Baldock £2m

subs
Bong free
Greer £250k
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free

Wages....none of them would be earning more than Rhodes, Ramirez, Nugent or Downing (at the very least).

Murphy 1.5 Million

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't really think the money is the issue

Karanka and Dyche have put their squads together on close to a 3 year period. BRIGHTON have put together a side challenging for promotion in only 2 transfer windows

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
....all that said, TB has backed us to the tune of £200m to build a ground and training base so we've had a right old spend up too, albeit on infrastructure rather than players....

Dec 6, 2015
Well we have to pay for our players whether they're in the starting 11 or not, so of course we include them. We also have to include wages.

I'm sure you're well aware that Middlesbrough have blown FFP out of the water. Don't take it personally, I don't image that's your fault, but of course it's irritating to those who stay within the rules.

At the time the conversation was about our chances of winning the league and adding subs wasn't really relevant. I'm not concerned about FFP at all - we don't take that into consideriation, it actually only seems to be Brighton fans that keep bringing it up and that's probably because you've done so remarkably well without spending as much.

Personally I'm glad we've spent the money.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
....all that said, TB has backed us to the tune of £200m to build a ground and training base so we've had a right old spend up too, albeit on infrastructure rather than players....

... but spending on infrastructure does NOT count towards FFP...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Those fees he quotes for Baldock and Kayal were widely reported, and everyone I know would quote them if asked how much these players cost.

Where have you got the idea that Baldock was less than a million and Kayal was 100k?

From an individual who was personally involved in negotiating the deal. People can quote whatever figures they wish, but actually we got better value than most people have suggested

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At the time the conversation was about our chances of winning the league and adding subs wasn't really relevant. I'm not concerned about FFP at all - we don't take that into consideriation, it actually only seems to be Brighton fans that keep bringing it up and that's probably because you've done so remarkably well without spending as much.

Personally I'm glad we've spent the money.

Brighton fans keep bringing up FFP because we have a CEO who believes in it. Overspending is cheating and unfair on other clubs who try to maintain budgets without going into administration.
We don't even have parachute payments to help us. FFP was a good idea to help clubs but QPR have managed to drive a coach and horses through the agreement.
All clubs signed up and agreed to it, but then some clubs have said one thing and done another.
No wonder we're aggrieved.

Dec 6, 2015
Brighton fans keep bringing up FFP because we have a CEO who believes in it. Overspending is cheating and unfair on other clubs who try to maintain budgets without going into administration.
We don't even have parachute payments to help us. FFP was a good idea to help clubs but QPR have managed to drive a coach and horses through the agreement.
All clubs signed up and agreed to it, but then some clubs have said one thing and done another.
No wonder we're aggrieved.

We will/have NOT breached FFP rules - Gibson would not allow it.

We're not concerned what so ever.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the time the conversation was about our chances of winning the league and adding subs wasn't really relevant.
Yes it was, you were replying to this post:
Spot on really. When you spend what they have spent they should have won the league at a canter.
So of course subs and others on the squad should be included, you don't get promoted with a squad of 11 players.

I'm not concerned about FFP at all - we don't take that into consideriation, it actually only seems to be Brighton fans that keep bringing it up
It's something we talk about every year as it defines what we have available to spend on players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyway, back to Chris Hughton. He doesn't need to play mind games.

[tweet]726700310710865920[/tweet]

Dec 6, 2015
Yes it was, you were replying to this post:
So of course subs and others on the squad should be included, you don't get promoted with a squad of 11 players.

It's something we talk about every year as it defines what we have available to spend on players.

Yes dear you're right but I was making a comparison of the strength and value of our first 11 vs those other clubs. As the conversation progressed I included the rest of the squad, I haven't hidden or changed anything so I'm not really sure why you've got your thong in a twist and become a smart arse again?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Bournemouth FFP argument - keep denying what everyone else knows is true :lolol:

I can remember a Bournemouth fan having a real go at me, on here, for asking where the money had come from. He denied strenuously that Bournemouth hadn't breached FFP. Then it all came out later.

Dec 6, 2015
I can remember a Bournemouth fan having a real go at me, on here, for asking where the money had come from. He denied strenuously that Bournemouth hadn't breached FFP. Then it all came out later.

Our losses are 17.3 million which is compliant with FFP and because we're ran as one company under the Gibson O'neill holdings it means we have no debt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They're not the smartest up there, are they:

10 minutes ago RonPipe
Hughton is under pressure tomorrow. They HAVE to beat Derby by 2 clear goals so they only need to draw at our place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here