Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL 2016 NFL thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Any Browns fans on here should watch a replay of CFB Championship your next QB is one hell of a player. What a game. Rarely has a late night been so richly rewarded, Clemson and Bama served up a treat.
Amazing game (again!) And a Cam Newton esque performance.

Early days yet but all the talk is that the Browns have an 'astronomical grade' on Garrett at 1.1. Surely Watson's performances in both national championship games against as close to an NFL defence as there is will have moved him up their board.

But this is the Browns we're talking about, even if they do draft him something will go wrong.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Amazing game (again!) And a Cam Newton esque performance.

Surely Watson's performances in both national championship games against as close to an NFL defence as there is will have moved him up their board.

But this is the Browns we're talking about, even if they do draft him something will go wrong.

That was my thought exactly. Watson had to overcome a lot of pressure in that game, the Bama line is simply fearsome. Good decision making in the 4th quarter especially, did not panic, did not force throws, kept the chains moving and then sealed the deal in the highest possible pressure cooker situation. A very impressive showing in the biggest game of his career, he could do no more.

A sensational game. In total contrast to the duff wildcard games this weekend (although there are some crackers lined up for the divisional games).

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Only watched the highlights, but that was an amazing game last night. Great advert for College football...which I have preferred watching this year instead of the pros tbh.
As for Watson going to my Browns - I cant see it. As convert says, they are really high on Garrett & Allen who should be among the first names off the board. Watson probably wont last until our 2nd pick (at 11 or 12?) so if we go for a QB it will most likely be later on, & possibly local boy Trubisky (still too raw in my opinion), or Mahomes who has size & ability similar to Big Ben over in Pitt. We cant afford to keep bombing on our 1st round picks and, because we have so many holes to fill, that leans us towards taking the best player / athlete at #1...who is Garrett in my opinion.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...brill-peppers-intends-to-enter-2017-nfl-draft

Jabrill Peppers has declared for the 2017 draft. He's one of two players that might fall far enough for the Steelers to trade up for that I think would be Steeler legends. A ILB/SS hybrid who almost appears designed for the modern, pass happy NFL.

The other is Christian McCaffrey. The matchup nightmares him and Le'Veon Bell could cause shifting between slot receivers and running back would be amazing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...brill-peppers-intends-to-enter-2017-nfl-draft

Jabrill Peppers has declared for the 2017 draft. He's one of two players that might fall far enough for the Steelers to trade up for that I think would be Steeler legends. A ILB/SS hybrid who almost appears designed for the modern, pass happy NFL.

The other is Christian McCaffrey. The matchup nightmares him and Le'Veon Bell could cause shifting between slot receivers and running back would be amazing.

If he falls that far I think another team with defensive frailties may have something to say about that.....

McCaffrey though would make your rub offense even more immense. He is a beast.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
McCaffrey though would make your rub offense even more immense. He is a beast.

You're probably right on Peppers, though I'd be prepared to pay quite heavily to trade up for him. He projects as a Polumalu type in the right schemes. The Steelers have spent 70-80% of the year in nickel so at worst he'd be a shit hot nickel corner while we develop him

We need to draft an edge rusher but I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that McCaffrey could drop to us. If he did, I'd take him as there's pass rushing depth in this draft.

An offence featuring McCaffrey/ Bell/ Brown/ Roethlisberger/ Bryant and Ladarius Green would be virtually unstoppable.

What do you think the 'Skins are going to do with Cousins? Is he going to get paid or could they use the franchise tag again?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You're probably right on Peppers, though I'd be prepared to pay quite heavily to trade up for him. He projects as a Polumalu type in the right schemes. The Steelers have spent 70-80% of the year in nickel so at worst he'd be a shit hot nickel corner while we develop him

We need to draft an edge rusher but I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that McCaffrey could drop to us. If he did, I'd take him as there's pass rushing depth in this draft.

An offence featuring McCaffrey/ Bell/ Brown/ Roethlisberger/ Bryant and Ladarius Green would be virtually unstoppable.

What do you think the 'Skins are going to do with Cousins? Is he going to get paid or could they use the franchise tag again?

If it were up to me I'd pay him. $120m with $60 guaranteed should do it. The offence is almost there, a good run blocker at the heart of the line and a genuine number 1 RB and we are as good as anyone. You do not get rid of 4,500yard QBs. If he went to FA he'd get that money easily. If they franchised him and we did well again he'd end up costing $30m a year, the way the inflated QB market is going.

The entire offence laid an egg against the Giants but in all seriousness the Skins were unlikely to make it past the wild card round anyway. Two consecutive winning seasons are not be sniffed at for a team that has mediocre for two decades. If Cousins is allowed to walk out the building the Skins will have taken another huge step back. There is nothing in FA (aside from Cousins) or in draft that we could realistically get at 17. If some people think Colt McCoy is the answer thy asking the wrong question.

The holes are on defence and they need to be filled on the line, at linebacker and safety, corner less so. Getting rid of Barry was a nice statement of intent that they itend to really focus on defence in the post season, and that is the correct decision in my view.

There is some nice defensive talent and i look forward to learning a lot more about some of the prospects over hte coming months. Peppers looks a stud, I was very impressed with Rueben Foster at Alabama too although he'll go early I think.

I like the idea of McCaffrey at the Steelers he would indeed make your team formidable.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If it were up to me I'd pay him. $120m with $60 guaranteed should do it. The offence is almost there, a good run blocker at the heart of the line and a genuine number 1 RB and we are as good as anyone. You do not get rid of 4,500yard QBs. If he went to FA he'd get that money easily. If they franchised him and we did well again he'd end up costing $30m a year, the way the inflated QB market is going.

The entire offence laid an egg against the Giants but in all seriousness the Skins were unlikely to make it past the wild card round anyway. Two consecutive winning seasons are not be sniffed at for a team that has mediocre for two decades. If Cousins is allowed to walk out the building the Skins will have taken another huge step back. There is nothing in FA (aside from Cousins) or in draft that we could realistically get at 17. If some people think Colt McCoy is the answer thy asking the wrong question.

The holes are on defence and they need to be filled on the line, at linebacker and safety, corner less so. Getting rid of Barry was a nice statement of intent that they itend to really focus on defence in the post season, and that is the correct decision in my view.

There is some nice defensive talent and i look forward to learning a lot more about some of the prospects over hte coming months. Peppers looks a stud, I was very impressed with Rueben Foster at Alabama too although he'll go early I think.

I like the idea of McCaffrey at the Steelers he would indeed make your team formidable.

I'd pay him. He's not let you down.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

So sad - I have a big soft spot for the Bolts as I have friends in San Diego. They love their Chargers & are going to be distraught, & very angry, that this is (likely) happening. The fact that the public vote didn't approve the last proposal a couple of months back kind of put the final nail in the coffin though....

Totally disagree with teams leaving town (having been there once before with my Browns) but you understand why the owners do it when you read something like this...doesn't make it right though for the fans.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...h-when-it-comes-to-fans/ar-AAlMDDo?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like I'll be taking in an Aztecs college game, or driving 100+ miles to LA, next time Im over in So Cal.... :eek:(

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So sad - I have a big soft spot for the Bolts as I have friends in San Diego. They love their Chargers & are going to be distraught, & very angry, that this is (likely) happening. The fact that the public vote didn't approve the last proposal a couple of months back kind of put the final nail in the coffin though....

Totally disagree with teams leaving town (having been there once before with my Browns) but you understand why the owners do it when you read something like this...doesn't make it right though for the fans.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...h-when-it-comes-to-fans/ar-AAlMDDo?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like I'll be taking in an Aztecs college game, or driving 100+ miles to LA, next time Im over in So Cal.... :eek:(

That article puts in to context some of the moans in the UK around modern football's/ soccer's relationship with its fanbase. It's no wonder a lot of Americans seem more attached to their Saturday team rather than their Sunday one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is a shame about the chargers, but the city and team have been drifting apart for many years.

Not sure how well a move to LA will go though, it is a notoriously tough nut to crack marketwise for pro football and the Rams are the real LA team.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
6cab7e94a268f7c23c75fa4f5c51aa2c.jpg
am so damn hyped for Saturday night!! Come on Atalanta!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
There would be some interesting subplots - Dak would be trying to break Ben's record as youngest QB to win it. Dallas would also draw level with Pittsburgh on 6 Superbowls if they won it.

Dak seems a steal in round 4, considering the hype that was around Goff and Wentz.

I know Wilson and Manning are tied on 26 passing TD's in a rookie season, Dak is on 23 already but I'm not sure if the record is for regular season only? Whatever the case, Cowboys had one hell of a draft.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Dak seems a steal in round 4, considering the hype that was around Goff and Wentz.

I know Wilson and Manning are tied on 26 passing TD's in a rookie season, Dak is on 23 already but I'm not sure if the record is for regular season only? Whatever the case, Cowboys had one hell of a draft.

Yeah, I liked Dak a lot at Mississipi State a lot but would be lying if I said I saw this coming. However, he's been dealt a nice hand with possible future hall of famers at RB and WR and the best Offensive Line in the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here