Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you (Charlton Fan)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Does anyone actually know anyone who took up Charltons kind offer of free transport to watch them play? I've never met anybody who went to the Valley, who had previously supported the Albion.Well, you wouldn't, would you?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 524

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well to get the thread back onto its original track, I had a great day out as always at Charlton and hopes its not too long before we play at the Valley again. Even if blowing up some many balloons make me light headed..

Attachments

• Ballons 1.jpg
    Ballons 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 502

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
But this was never set up as a fans utd.
Charlton are very unhappy with the way their club is being run, they happened to be playing Brighton yesterday and as a set of fans that have a great reputation for helping out asked us to kindly join in if we wanted to.
Thankfully many did, they are very grateful and have thanked us.
Why all the bellendery about not being in our position and some busses many years ago is being spouted about I don't know.
We won, we helped, we may be promoted, we are OK for money in a nice new stadium.
Is that not enough for some people.

Exactly this. Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting same.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Really?

As I posted last week, CAFC's plight is nowhere near as dire as ours once was. That didn't stop me supporting the protest on Saturday. Having read bits & pieces and spoken to several CAFC fans on Saturday there is clearly something inherently wrong with the way their club is being run. But then those that chaired ******* Belotti around the North Stand didn't know at the time what a wanker he was and how he would set out to destroy our club.

As to the coach nonsense, that was a club initiative. You can't hold CAFC fans responsible for that can you? A lot of them wouldn't even have been born! Anybody know one BHAFC supporter who switched allegiance because they could get free coach travel to The Valley? Of course you don't. That's why we are fans and not customers. FFS get a grip!

I felt proud to march with the CAFC fans on Saturday and it's a shame that there are a few, just a few, on here who forget that CAFC fans (together with PAFC fans) were our main allies and supporters during our dark days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really?

As I posted last week, CAFC's plight is nowhere near as dire as ours once was. That didn't stop me supporting the protest on Saturday. Having read bits & pieces and spoken to several CAFC fans on Saturday there is clearly something inherently wrong with the way their club is being run. But then those that chaired ******* Belotti around the North Stand didn't know at the time what a wanker he was and how he would set out to destroy our club.

As to the coach nonsense, that was a club initiative. You can't hold CAFC fans responsible for that can you? A lot of them wouldn't even have been born! Anybody know one BHAFC supporter who switched allegiance because they could get free coach travel to The Valley? Of course you don't. That's why we are fans and not customers. FFS get a grip!

I felt proud to march with the CAFC fans on Saturday and it's a shame that there are a few, just a few, on here who forget that CAFC fans (together with PAFC fans) were our main allies and supporters during our dark days.

Well said. Appreciation shown on Saturday during the march by their fans was great too.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I listened today to The Albion roar 'extra: Podcast about Charlton, concerning their 'plight'.
Listen for yourself, but if 'Hi, call me Al' is teeing the lady up to hit it for six with most questions, and most answers are ' I don't know / that's a good question' then that says a lot.
Oh, and they don't like their press officer because they were called customers instead of fans....

They're ok, it's just waa...waa...

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
1. All his investment is loans at 3% interest. The club is currently around £45 million in hock to his holding company. Some would call that financial jeopardy.

2. Possibly - his behaviour is so bizarre we really don't know what his plans are or what the end game will be. Certainly, he has rented out the main ticket office at the Valley as an NHS Call Centre, and there are rumours of an application to replace the club shop with four flats. So who knows?

3. Not as far as I know.

I understand it's hard for people who haven't seen the day to day attrition inflicted by this regime on Charlton fans to understand. This isn't about us being relegated - we went down to League One in 2009 and retained almost all of our season ticket holders (10k out of 11.5k) with no protests of any type. This season 30% of ST holders are boycotting, we've had protests at every home game since January and we'll be lucky to have 5k STs next year.

Talk to fans of the other clubs that Roland Duchatelet owns, all of whom want him out. Talk to fans of Standard Liege. They won the league under his ownership, yet still protested every game. On one occasion several thousand Standard fans gathered on a non-matchday, marched on the ground, broke in and smashed up the boardroom. He sold Standard last July because he'd had enough of the protests (this is one of the things driving the Charlton fans forward).

The bloke's a ****ing maniac. I have no idea WHAT his plans for the club are as there's no logic behind ANYTHING he does. In many ways that's MORE worrying than a bog standard asset stripper. IMHO.

Duchatelet is also a ****ing narcissist and wants to claim everything from Standard even though he no longer owns them, because the official match report of the match for the CAFC official site referred to "former Standard Liege man Anthony Knockaert" :ffsparr:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Over 175 posts in reply to a "thank you" and I am still confused...

The old CAFC management put the boot in while we were down on our knees with their crappy bus-trick.

The new CAFC management are seemingly screwing over their own fans by mismanaging the club - either because of some obtuse plot or just because they don't understand that there needs to be a responsibility to the community that comes with the ownership of a football club (see also Allam, Tan, etc). No, it's not what Archer did to us... but that doesn't mean what is happening is right.

To me, that puts us on the same side as the CAFC fans. Love for someone to explain what I've missed here?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Over 175 posts in reply to a "thank you" and I am still confused...

The old CAFC management put the boot in while we were down on our knees with their crappy bus-trick.

The new CAFC management are seemingly screwing over their own fans by mismanaging the club - either because of some obtuse plot or just because they don't understand that there needs to be a responsibility to the community that comes with the ownership of a football club (see also Allam, Tan, etc). No, it's not what Archer did to us... but that doesn't mean what is happening is right.

To me, that puts us on the same side as the CAFC fans. Love for someone to explain what I've missed here?

Some people are a bit dim and don't understand the difference between "a club" and "a club's fans".

See also; Blackpool FC, and Newcastle United FC, for quite clear disparities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here