Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince is dead?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
R I P Prince.... I was never a big fan, not my era or style but he was obviously possessing a great talent. I daresay that if he had been around a few decades earlier he would have been performing songs that I liked and I would have loved him.

57 is no age to die..not in the 21st century

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
R I P Prince.... I was never a big fan, not my era or style but he was obviously possessing a great talent. I daresay that if he had been around a few decades earlier he would have been performing songs that I liked and I would have loved him.

57 is no age to die..not in the 21st century

Exactly the same here. Can't say I liked his music much, but can appreciate the talent. RIP. This year is proving horrendous.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Wouldn't class myself as a fan, but there was no doubting that he was immensely gifted and hugely influential. RIP.

Who would be in the public eye this year? Being picked off in their droves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can you explain why he was a genius though please Buzzer?
I await the official verdict from Buzzer, but I like Prince's music and he also wrote some great, and very diverse hits for others.

Jul 7, 2003
Probably one of the best live acts I have seen. A mate of mine raved about him live and, at the time, I wasn't really into his music. I was working in a hall at the then newly built ICC in Birmingham and found out that he was playing the main hall that evening. I had nothing planned and was staying in a hotel about 100 yards away so went round to the box office and managed to get a ticket that had been returned. I thought it might be something to do for the night.

The whole show was amazing, the band, the set, the music and the great little man himself. When the show finished, the house lights went up and many left the hall. I was in no rush as it was about a 5 minute walk to my bed but noticed than quite a few people were definitely not leaving. I thought I'd hang around and, about 15 minutes later, the lights went down and Prince came back on and did another 30 minutes or so.

Yes, he went a little bonkers for a while but if you listen to his back catalogue he covers so many genre's of music - rock, pop, soul, gospel, blues, R&B (both types).

The world has lost a truly great musician.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Supremely gifted musically, Prince pushed boundaries by fusing religion, sexuality and music.

Flawed? Yes.
Genius? Unquestionably.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I am a massive Prince fan and this is really, really sad news. I'm hoping they'll show the film Sign O The Times soon. Give that a watch and you'll see why he was called a genius. Amazing guitar player, looks like he's not even trying, incredible dancer as well. Songs range from soul to pop to rock, but they're hardly ever straight forward - When Doves Cry is a dance song with no bass (easy not to notice this), the string arrangements on many songs are just beautiful (perhaps none better than the stunning Purple Rain), and he just managed generally to stay ahead of the curve whilst delivering great tunes for so long. What a legacy left behind for us to listen to though - so many great songs.....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sad news indeed because that's no age at all.

Can you explain why he was a genius though please Buzzer?

I'm asking for two reasons.

1) I've never liked his music but have always heard the genius comments. I'm keen to know why it's so or if it's emperors new clothes. I'm assuming he was a multi instrumentalist for starters?

2) If anyone can give me a definitive answer, it's you. I've followed your blog long enough to know that you know your stuff when it comes to music and know how to put it into words.

According to wikipedia:
In addition to his singing abilities (which encompassed a wide range from falsetto to baritone and rapid, flamboyant shifts of register, as well as diverse characterisation) Prince was one of pop music's most prominent multi-instrumentalists. The precise number of instruments he was capable of playing remains obscure, partly due to the active mythologizing of his abilities and working practices (such as the claim that he had played "all 27 instruments" on his debut album, which appears to have included various different kinds of guitar, keyboard and synthesizer in the total).

As a live performer he generally focused on guitar, piano, lead vocals and occasional bass, drums and harmonica. On recordings he also played assorted keyboards and synthesizers, bass guitar, drums, various percussion instruments and saxophone, as well as mastering both drum and synthesizer programming. Prince mentioned learning and performing simple parts on particular instruments that he does not otherwise play (such as concert harp) in order to serve song arrangements on albums.​

On top of that, he has had a long career with constant reinvention. He has inspired many other artists in multiple fields (as is clear from the response to his death). He has left the world several hits that, while you may not like them, still stand up today (including obvious ones like When Doves Cry, Kiss, 1999 and include songs you might not realise he wrote because they were released by other artists (like Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor, Manic Monday by the Bangles, I Feel for You by Chaka Khan), has been sampled in hits such as Jay Z and Beyonce's '03 Bonnie and Clyde' and Nine Inch Nails Ringfinger.

http://www.whosampled.com/Prince/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Prince_(musician)

He has left a lasting influence on the world of music, and deserves the tag 'genius'.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
13015418_10154199638567642_8133359568900366302_n.jpg

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I've only just got over Elvis dying and now this.

Elvis,Micheal Jackson,Prince and many others.It's proof that fame and money is very bad for your health.

Be normal and live longer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The genius question is coming up....if I had to give an answer I'd say it was his ability to make such wonky experimental pop/rock/whatever so accessible.

RIP little purple one.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Never forget his Wembley Arena Lovesexy gig - the puple ponce of pop blindfolded (I think), his back to a basketball hoop, threw the basketball over his head and clean through the hoop, incredibly talented all-rounder.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was feeling incredibly sad for Charles because he couldn't outlive his mum when I realized which Prince they were talking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here