Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Where can one apply to give evidence on behalf of Aslef in this court hearing?

The concept of using consumer rights to fight off this strike is the ultimate irony from the southern charlatans. They haven't given a monkeys over the last 3 years prior to strike action when short forming trains, short notice cancellations, missing stations or terminating up line

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Where can one apply to give evidence on behalf of Aslef in this court hearing?

The concept of using consumer rights to fight off this strike is the ultimate irony from the southern charlatans. They haven't given a monkeys over the last 3 years prior to strike action when short forming trains, short notice cancellations, missing stations or terminating up line

Whilst this is true, I'd like to hear why ASLEF won't enter into talks. If they've said, I missed it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Whilst this is true, I'd like to hear why ASLEF won't enter into talks. If they've said, I missed it.

I don't believe they have declined to....I suspect their concern would be however that this dispute has been ongoing for 6 months and all SASTA have done is take legal action rather than talk

Yoda

English & European
Right so the OBS wont in effect be safety trained and thats the problem.

Bingo! Obviously those already in the role are but there will be nothing to keep them up to standard and new OBS' won't be trained to anything near it. (I believe, from what I've seen on here)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
I don't believe they have declined to....I suspect their concern would be however that this dispute has been ongoing for 6 months and all SASTA have done is take legal action rather than talk

I get that, but I'm pretty sure if you asked the average passenger on the street, they'll hope SASTA prevent the strike, even if it is through the courts. I certainly would, so it is in ASLEF's best interests to get talking, even if all it does is delay the inevitable. My hatred (and it is genuine hatred now) is probably 60:40 in favour of SASTA/DafT v RMT/ASLEF, but as I was almost 100% on the unions side at the start of this clusterf***, they're now on thinning ice.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I get that, but I'm pretty sure if you asked the average passenger on the street, they'll hope SASTA prevent the strike, even if it is through the courts. I certainly would, so it is in ASLEF's best interests to get talking, even if all it does is delay the inevitable. My hatred (and it is genuine hatred now) is probably 60:40 in favour of SASTA/DafT v RMT/ASLEF, but as I was almost 100% on the unions side at the start of this clusterf***, they're now on thinning ice.

Agree 100% how Dick CASH COW can say overwhelming public support. **** off you deluded ****.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bingo! Obviously those already in the role are but there will be nothing to keep them up to standard and new OBS' won't be trained to anything near it. (I believe, from what I've seen on here)

Believe...not fact then...I have my suspicions that the guards can see that the job they do wont be the job they have to do in the future. Hence striking and its not about safety when SASTA are saying they will be safety compliant?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
SASTA spending tax payers money on a ridiculous injunction based on EU law , instead of trying to negotiate a settlement

I suppose its because SASTA are in effect getting legal cover for "free"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
7717ed1dfdb2d38b9385b3863a736b22.png

albionite

May 20, 2009

That has been gtr/daft strategy all along, but I suspect they thought the customers(they think of you as passengers)would turn sooner

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
That has been gtr/daft strategy all along, but I suspect they thought the customers(they think of you as passengers)would turn sooner

That's all well and good, but you have to ask why people are turning. Before, the unions had overwhelming support, but stunts like calling strikes over Christmas and not combining strikes will cause massive loss of public support, despite what comrade Mick says. Bans on rest day working - brilliant, as it shows SASTA up for the underemploying clowns they are. Striking will only piss off the people that back you.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think people are also cottoning on to the inconsistencies in the safety argument. The fact that doo is working fine on other lines and indeed driverless trains are working on dlr raises some serious doubts in their motives.

Of course you'll always get the pro union core support but they just look both as bad as each other to me now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think people are also cottoning on to the inconsistencies in the safety argument. The fact that doo is working fine on other lines and indeed driverless trains are working on dlr raises some serious doubts in their motives.

Of course you'll always get the pro union core support but they just look both as bad as each other to me now.

There is no inconsistency in the safety argument.

There is, however, an inconsistency in what you wish to compare. To compare a standalone system like DLR and a 12-car Southern train on a multi-tracked, multi-networked line is ludicrous. Also, to compare DOO on other lines also has no value. Where DOO is operating, there are platform staff and working cameras on the train. Currently, many if not most Southern stations don't have platform staff, and many trains do not have properly functioning cameras. So to say that DOO is working fine on other lines as a justification for having it on Southern when the technology isn't there is actually irrelevant.

The pro-union argument doesn't come into it, and is also irrelevant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Multiple cancellations again this morning due to 'lack of train crew', randomly applied across Southern and Thameslink it appears. W*****s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here