Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I simply do not have strong enough words any longer for this contemptible, vile, bullying company any more. There literally isn't anyone whether on the railway or customers they haven't pissed off.

this is true. so why are the unions trying so hard to catch up with them? why dont they try some new tactics and court popular support against a deeply unpopular company? i note the novel approach from the teachers this week about a parents strike to oppose the primary schools testing, was quite a popular cause i understand.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
this is true. so why are the unions trying so hard to catch up with them? why dont they try some new tactics and court popular support against a deeply unpopular company? i note the novel approach from the teachers this week about a parents strike to oppose the primary schools testing, was quite a popular cause i understand.

It simply doesn't work. The ticket office closures issue being a case in point. The company put out their proposals as a "consultation", the union and other groups drummed up a lot of opposition which was put to GTR which they've completely ignored (because hey why not ) and lo and behold they are closing them anyway-hence ticket office staff now being balloted for strike action. You seem to think everyone is loving going on strike-I can assure you no guard wants to strike, lose 2 days pay for each day they strike, lose their travel privileges for themselves and their families as well as their car parking. I've seen some colleagues in tears this week at the bullying and intimidation they have received and the thought of trying to make ends meet if this action goes on so no one takes this lightly. I am not militant but sometimes there is no other way. I have never gone on strike before and never wanted to and I certainly don't want to if it comes to it in the coming weeks but I absolutely will because it is the right thing to do.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...You seem to think everyone is loving going on strike...

nope, i just reckon that strikes cause more problems and dont solve the original issues. as you highlight yourself, they cause more. its effectively just a tantrum, a final strop before the inevitable. i'm agains the the ticket hall closures (tbh i thought that issue had died off, they were staying) and have sympathy for the position of the guards, despite them not actually being really necessary. but we have a union that seems to be unable to project any cause and protect their members, so has a great big statement. they fail their members then go on to impose on the public, while claiming doing things in our interests (they are in the interests of themselves primarily, members second). Southerns behaviour is pretty deplorable, offering an olive branch disguised shitty stick, i'd have thought the union could use that more to their advantage but apparently not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It simply doesn't work. The ticket office closures issue being a case in point. The company put out their proposals as a "consultation", the union and other groups drummed up a lot of opposition which was put to GTR which they've completely ignored (because hey why not ) and lo and behold they are closing them anyway-hence ticket office staff now being balloted for strike action. You seem to think everyone is loving going on strike-I can assure you no guard wants to strike, lose 2 days pay for each day they strike, lose their travel privileges for themselves and their families as well as their car parking. I've seen some colleagues in tears this week at the bullying and intimidation they have received and the thought of trying to make ends meet if this action goes on so no one takes this lightly. I am not militant but sometimes there is no other way. I have never gone on strike before and never wanted to and I certainly don't want to if it comes to it in the coming weeks but I absolutely will because it is the right thing to do.

I hope the posters who are complaining about this strike and how it affects them actually read this post and mull over what it might actually be like to be in this position.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Has there been any 'Meet the Managers' events since this all kicked off?

Oh yes and like pouring petrol on fire it was last Thursday at London Bridge, the day after a strike had ended.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So what's the deal with the strikes next week?

Did the talks towards the end of last week resolve anything? If not are there more talks planned before the proposed action?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RMT:

Southern GTR members

SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT ACTING ILLEGALLY ON PAY AND PASSES

SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT ACTING ILLEGALLY BY BULLYING AND HARASSING STAFF

SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT ACTING ILLEGALLY BY BREACHING THEIR FRANCHISE AGREEMENT

Pay and Passes

I am writing to let you know what the union is doing in respect of the disgusting way you are being treated by this company.

I have written to Southern and advised them that I require their calculations for showing how the actions of EACH individual employee in taking industrial action has caused them a loss of £268. I have also told Southern that any decision to deduct money on the basis they are putting forward, or indeed to withdraw travel passes is also in contravention of Article 11 of the European Convention. The reason for this is that it is illegal to subject members to these detriments when they are taking lawful industrial action. I have made it clear that the union will use all means available to challenge them on this disgraceful action they are taking.

Bullying and Harassment of Members

The union has been advised by many members that they are being bullied and victimised by management. We obviously know this to be true because we have seen the letters they have sent you. We have seen the pressure you have been put under to fill in forms agreeing to work. We know you are being harassed and bullied because your passes and car parking facilities have been removed – all other staff have retained theirs. We know that many of you have had one-to-ones with managers and that you have felt intimidated and bullied. We have written evidence from members telling us they are under extreme stress as a result of this bullying and harassment. Bullying and Harassment is illegal. I have written to Charles Horton putting him and Southern on notice that they are in breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act and that I have written to the ORR (Office of Rail Regulator) and the DfT (Department for Transport) requesting they look into these serious breaches of legislation.

Breaching their Franchise Agreement

Part of Southern’s Franchise Agreement with the DfT states:-

Part 1 to Schedule 6.1 List of Committed Obligations

The Franchisee shall:
. (a) on or before 30 September 2015 establish and implement strategies to:
. (i) create healthy, positive working environments that optimise the attractiveness of roles and increase the wellbeing of Franchise Employees; and _
. (ii) minimise absenteeism and sickness leave of Franchise Employees;

Well obviously the working environment that Southern created is far from positive and they certainly isn’t increasing the wellbeing of their employees. To say they are breaching their Franchise is an understatement.

So you can see we have asked our Solicitors and Counsel to challenge these illegal practices that Southern are employing. I will keep you advised of developments on these very important issues.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
if the union was clever about this, they'd organise their members to each file case re the harrasment and bullying, and similar follow up on the claims of illegal practice, breachs of H&S and so on. swamp the managment with tribunals and court action. this affects the company without negativly impacting on the passengers, so maintaining some good will. alas they wont, they only have one tool in thier box.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There seems to be an unusually high amount of staff sickness among SASTA employees at the moment, with ticket offices being closed and trains being cancelled all over the place in the last couple of days with that as the stated reason...not that I'm suggesting anything suspicious in that, you understand.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
if the union was clever about this, they'd organise their members to each file case re the harrasment and bullying, and similar follow up on the claims of illegal practice, breachs of H&S and so on. swamp the managment with tribunals and court action. this affects the company without negativly impacting on the passengers, so maintaining some good will. alas they wont, they only have one tool in thier box.

Indeed. And those that have received that disgraceful letter should raise a formal grievance directly against the manager that gave it to them for bullying. As you imply though, the RMT only want a strike rather than 'thinking out side the box' for other ways to hurt Southern.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No trains to Victoria from west Coastway. What a bunch of *****.

How do these idiots realistically expect me to justify to my employer me constantly being late, for a service that really should be easy to run

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Interesting conversation with a member of SASTA staff this morning - apparently the 'staff sickness' epidemic that is responsible for a lot of cancelled trains today is largely, if not entirely, an unofficial strike action by SASTA staff.

I only have the person in question's word for this, so who knows. It does seem very...convenient, though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting conversation with a member of SASTA staff this morning - apparently the 'staff sickness' epidemic that is responsible for a lot of cancelled trains today is largely, if not entirely, an unofficial strike action by SASTA staff.

I only have the person in question's word for this, so who knows. It does seem very...convenient, though.

No doubt. Hope Southern take action against these staff.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Sort of. Guards have been bullied by GTR so many are not working their rest days-and why should they, especially when they have had all their privileges revoked including the ability to swap shifts and there are quite a few guards off sick - probably due to stress. There is zero goodwill towards the company from any member of staff now. Another factor is that GTR are quite enjoying cancelling trains. I know for a fact that trains have been cancelled this morning where there was both a guard and a driver available to work it. And for any of those inconvenienced by last week's strike on Wednesday eve - even though the strike ended at 11.00 am most trains were cancelled through to the end of the day for no reason. There were tons of drivers and guards just sitting doing nothing all evening because GTR had cancelled almost everything. GTR are playing a dirty game here and in over 20 years of employment I've never known a more disgusting outfit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here