Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You miss the point. They are not actually sick. They ring in sick rather than 'work to rule' or go on strike so they still get paid.

I know they're not but remember Southern don't even employ enough drivers to run the service without over time normally so they sure as heck haven't employed enough drivers to cover normal sickness. The fact that the union members phone in sick falsely obviously doesn't help the situation. Personally I'd get the government ministers, Southern execs, Union officals and striking drivers into one massive locked barn. Strip them. cover them in honey and let millions of wasps loose into the barn. Don't unlock the barn until they all agree a way forwards - after all it's effectively what all the CJTCs have done to their customers.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If it's about money, why have the drivers turned down a 24% payrise (bribe) to drive DOO trains?

Because the cameras are inadequate, the platforms are curved, there are unmanned stations so disabled people have to book their journeys 24 hours in advance, and old rolling stock which are inadequate. The driver could go to jail, if an accident is deemed to be his/her mistake.

100% correct. Thanks.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
CBA to read all through this but does anyone know exactly what's going on with the Victoria-Brighton Gatwick Express atm? Seems to have stopped running and not much on the SR website to go on really..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seems to me RMT members are basically trying to save their own jobs, understandably. Not much to do with safety issues. RMT members have a problem for every solution.
Don't get me wrong, Southern are wankers too.

https://fullfact.org/economy/are-driver-only-trains-safe/

The FACTS are we have had driver only trains since the early 80's with no significant problems. Rail companies, looking to modernise and save money realise it's a good idea to roll it out on scale. The RMT members are getting didgy about the security of their roles. That's the crux of it all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know they're not but remember Southern don't even employ enough drivers to run the service without over time normally so they sure as heck haven't employed enough drivers to cover normal sickness. The fact that the union members phone in sick falsely obviously doesn't help the situation. Personally I'd get the government ministers, Southern execs, Union officals and striking drivers into one massive locked barn. Strip them. cover them in honey and let millions of wasps loose into the barn. Don't unlock the barn until they all agree a way forwards - after all it's effectively what all the CJTCs have done to their customers.

You've witnessed union members ringing in with false sick claims? Don't you think it's far more likely that Southern are telling porkies?
They only 75% capacity drivers when they started the franchise with false promises of training more when there are a shortage of trainers. Look into the situation a bit more closely.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The unions are lying.
Every single train I have travelled on on Southern has an onboard supervisor who gets off the train and checks the platform. Every single one. They are new staff too. And I see new ones being trained most days. This is about money and I hope unions and their selfish members get their comeuppance. Loathesome people holding people who actually want to work, to ransom. Disgusting people.

You really haven't been following the story at all, have you? Total fabrication and ignorance there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You really haven't been following the story at all, have you? Total fabrication and ignorance there.
Not only have I followed it every step, I have looked into the history of DOO trains since they started in the 80's. an inconvenient truth but they are perfectly safe, they were in the 80's and they are now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And as if to prove the point, you broadcast your ignorance again.

Piss poor trolling.

Easy to dismiss things you don't like as trolling. Doesn't negate them no matter how much you'd like to think your posts have that power.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seems to me RMT members are basically trying to save their own jobs, understandably. Not much to do with safety issues. RMT members have a problem for every solution.

'Seems to me...'? In other words, it's true because you've told yourself it's true? Outstanding.

The FACTS are we have had driver only trains since the early 80's with no significant problems. Rail companies, looking to modernise and save money realise it's a good idea to roll it out on scale. The RMT members are getting didgy about the security of their roles. That's the crux of it all.

And again.

Why are you commenting when you don't know what you're on about? You've just screamed your own ignorance. :facepalm:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
CBA to read all through this but does anyone know exactly what's going on with the Victoria-Brighton Gatwick Express atm? Seems to have stopped running and not much on the SR website to go on really..

Travel advice for ASLEF industrial action on weekdays
Last updated 12pm 11 July

Service overview

Most routes will retain a Southern train service. Key alterations include:

No off-peak Gatwick Express service between Gatwick Airport and Brighton (a limited peak service will operate)

http://www.southernrailway.com/download/45809.4/00-strike-01-brighton-to-gatwick-and-london/

http://www.southernrailway.com/your...dvice-for-aslef-industrial-action-on-weekdays

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Easy to dismiss things you don't like as trolling. Doesn't negate them no matter how much you'd like to think your posts have that power.

I wouldn't worry too much ..... he spent ages telling everyone who would listen the recent report would explain everything and then when it was published decided to dismiss it completely because it didn't back his opinion !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
'Seems to me...'? In other words, it's true because you've told yourself it's true? Outstanding.

And again.

Why are you commenting when you don't know what you're on about? You've just screamed your own ignorance. :facepalm:

Yes, yes so you say about every post I make on any thread. To save you continually repeating yourself we'll all just assume you think each of my posts are ignorant. Save you typing out the same old repost each time. If you'd like to comment further and explain why you think I'm ignorant, that would be a bit more interesting than just saying you think I'm ignorant over and over. It's just that you won't like anything I'm going to post on this subject so you may want to put some facts and informed opinion into your arbitrarily contradictory outbursts.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not only have I followed it every step, I have looked into the history of DOO trains since they started in the 80's. an inconvenient truth but they are perfectly safe, they were in the 80's and they are now.

If you've really been following the story, you'll know that what you've posted has no value.

The truth has been posted on here time and time and time again, yet you choose to go your own way.

DOO trains being used since the 1980s isn't the point to make here. Precedent isn't enough to justify its introduction. The system in the south east isn't ready for it. This much is well-known. One of the reasons for so many delays (there are many) is because the equipment isn't up to scratch, and Southern won't update it.

The staff know this, the unions know this, the passengers who've actually looked up the information on it know this, and guess what? The Railway Delivery Group (former the Association of Train Operating Companies) know this, and therefore the government knows this. It appears that only you don't, and you're prepared to tell everyone this.

So rather than do as you would want (i.e. be reckless and dangerous in your own ignorant way), and risk everything, the driver makes sure everything is OK before heading off. But it takes time. The guard would have done this before, but can't now.

And what do you do? Sneer at the fact that someone who is legally responsible for the safety of hundreds of people is doing their job properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here