Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you watch the'wimmin' at Wembley?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I watched a bit of a women's world cup as it drew me in a little. But if we are being honest the standard of the WORLD CUP FINAL was lower than a league two match. You can hype it up as much as you like but that is the reality. It just isn't a sport where women can play women and look good. Tennis I can watch, athletics I can watch, but beyond women in sport is generally of poorer quality.

Interesting comments. You'd watch women's athletics, but wouldn't watch women's football because the standard is 'lower than League Two'. The winning time of the Women's 100m final at the 2012 Olympic Games, (10.75s) would be lucky to place in the sixth form boys' race on sports day at a decent sized school. Why would you want to watch that RUBBISH?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well considering that it's been a late developer I think that girls footy has made huge steps in terms of skill and entertainment.
Good luck to them, love to see it. When I was a youngster if a football went anywhere near the girls they'd run off squealing!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The womens team is a relatively new branch of BHAFC, but its something that has completely passed me by. I don't know when they play, I don't know who they play, I don't check on their results, I don't know where they are in the League, or whether they are in or out of the Cup. They are a complete irrelevance to me.

That's not to say I don't think its worthwhile. Playing sport is never NOT worthwhile, and these women are giving up their spare time to train and to play and to compete - absolutely fair play to them for that. But I have not the slightest bit of interest in watching them, or finding out how they've got on. I care as much about the BHAFC womens team, and womens football in general, as I do about scotch football. It exists, and a handful of people go to watch it, but it never crosses my consciousness until or unless someone else actually mentions it.

I guess its just not for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might JUST go and watch the wimmin at the Amex in a final, or at Withdean if I had a friend or family member playing. At Wembley with nobody i knew involved on the pitch? Not in a million years.

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
I doubt if anyone on here criticising have seen them live. Personally think they would be surprised.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The womens team is a relatively new branch of BHAFC, but its something that has completely passed me by. I don't know when they play, I don't know who they play, I don't check on their results, I don't know where they are in the League, or whether they are in or out of the Cup. They are a complete irrelevance to me.

That's not to say I don't think its worthwhile. Playing sport is never NOT worthwhile, and these women are giving up their spare time to train and to play and to compete - absolutely fair play to them for that. But I have not the slightest bit of interest in watching them, or finding out how they've got on. I care as much about the BHAFC womens team, and womens football in general, as I do about scotch football. It exists, and a handful of people go to watch it, but it never crosses my consciousness until or unless someone else actually mentions it.

I guess its just not for me.

And far too much in the match programme about them too, who cares I buy the programme to read about the MENS team playing that day , i wish the club would stop trying to be so RIGHT on at times

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How long before they start demanding pay equal to Rooney Toure etc. although not being as good, as per tennis.

Five members of the US Women's national soccer team have recently filed a wage-discrimination action against the US Soccer Federation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, because they get paid only about a quarter what the US Men get despite generating $20 million more revenue last year.

They are also threatening to boycott the Olympics over the issue.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've watched a number of women's games on the tele and have seen some live including a then top of the table clash between Arsenal and Chelsea. I like the idea of watching a match and feeling like I could go on and be the star player but if I were ever asked to pay for such a privilege I'd sooner rather stop.

If it were at the Amex on a day I wasn't busy I'd go along and support BHAFC girls, but I wouldn't want the day trip to Wembley and the cost involved as ultimately I'm not that interested in it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Five members of the US Women's national soccer team have recently filed a wage-discrimination action against the US Soccer Federation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, because they get paid only about a quarter what the US Men get despite generating $20 million more revenue last year.

They are also threatening to boycott the Olympics over the issue.

I wonder where this extra revenue comes from? Women's soccer is far more popular over there, but the US men's team still get averag crowds that are twice as big.

The World Cup squad can't expect to get paid the same either when the men's prize money is so much greater: 9m for reaching the men the second round, in comparison with 2m for wining the women's tournament.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder when and why the thread title got altered. I'm not at all interested in women's football (that's just me personally; if women want to play and people want to watch, that's fine by me) but I would never refer to it as 'Wimmin's football'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No dont like womens football I am an old traditionalist football is a mans game.

Your not a traditionalist, you are a mysoginist. There is a difference.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I watched a bit of a women's world cup as it drew me in a little. But if we are being honest the standard of the WORLD CUP FINAL was lower than a league two match. You can hype it up as much as you like but that is the reality. It just isn't a sport where women can play women and look good. Tennis I can watch, athletics I can watch, but beyond women in sport is generally of poorer quality.

And I don't think it is sexist to say that. Men and women are different, physically and mentally, women are far better than men at certain things, men are far better than women at certain things, sport just happens to be in the mens camp.

It's just unfortunate for women that we are also quite good at cooking now as well now :)

Women's cricket is good to watch. Especially at T20 level where the stroke play is more considered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here